Holy Grail problems

pos69sum

• Members

need help with my reverb situation. my pedals/amp are in my sig. i love my setup, it's great for classic rock and jazz. for clean sound i mainly use compressor and delay, for dirty sounds i mainly use compressor, fulltone fulldrive2, and delay. sometimes i like a touch of verb on the cleans and dirties, so i switch my holy grail on. i notice that when the holy grail is on i get a low background humming, which gets louder the more you dial up the verb.

cables are george l's. i am considering taking the chorus pedal or tremolo pedal off the chain, since they get the least use, but i'd like to keep them there because i do use them sometimes. any ideas why i'm getting this humming sound w the holy grail?

• Members

the holy grail can get quite noisy when you dial in more then 12 o'clock settings especially on "hall". it was always quite "acceptable" for me until last year it really got worse so it's humming/hissing very badly in any setting so you even can't hear the playing through it very well...

i prefer the sound of the holy grail to the boss or digitech verbs... when it would be working.

• Members

i tried using the EHX adapter that came with it - same hum.

i tried switching the outlet everything plugs into, same deal.

my amp's a vox ac30, i wouldn't say it's silent but it's relatively quiet and has a standby mode.

i'm really thinking of ditching this thing and getting a tank.

• Members

Originally posted by pos69sum

i tried using the EHX adapter that came with it - same hum.

i tried switching the outlet everything plugs into, same deal.

my amp's a vox ac30, i wouldn't say it's silent but it's relatively quiet and has a standby mode.

i'm really thinking of ditching this thing and getting a tank.

Tanks are expensive. I would check out a Line 6 Verbzilla or a Digitech Digiverb first. Both great reverb pedals. The only reason I stick with the Holy Grail is that it is by far the best sounding spring reverb pedal on the market. Kinda sucks that the Flerb setting is the dumbest thing I have ever heard a guitar pedal do in my life.

• Members

Originally posted by canucker1981

Tanks are expensive. I would check out a Line 6 Verbzilla or a Digitech Digiverb first. Both great reverb pedals. The only reason I stick with the Holy Grail is that it is by far the best sounding spring reverb pedal on the market. Kinda sucks that the Flerb setting is the dumbest thing I have ever heard a guitar pedal do in my life.

can you post your setup? the spring reverb did sound awesome before i when i had a more minimal setup. but i've seen people running an even longer chain than me and they get no hum.

Guest Anonymous

My Holy Grail is completely silent at any setting. Hum could be caused by a poor ground at the jack solder connection. I noticed that by spinning the cable ends around inside the unit while rearranging pedals loosened the locking rings on the jacks and caused the jack to spin 180 degrees inside the unit.

Make sure the unit it plugged into the same outlet as your amp to avoid ground loops.

• Members

My Tele>One of several ODs(Bad Monkey, Lil Leo, Micro Amp)> Maxon Comp> Maxon Phase> Memory Man> Holy Grail> 62 Brown Deluxe. Sometimes I'll just thrown in a DOD Bi-Fet or a EH Pulsar reissue. I haven't noticed the noise changing at all when i use less pedals or more pedals, true-bypass or buffered pedals. It seems very random. I have times where I can turn the reverb up to full and get almost no hum, other times its too noisy below noon. Its the only reverb ive had that sounds kick as into an overdriven amp and after an overdrive pedal. It only does spring obviously(hall being just a bigger spring sound like an old ampeg) but it does it so well with the harmonic overtones that I can't let it go. One of he biggest problems is that the "hum" it creates is a really annoying one. Not really hum, more like a digital sort of zipper noise.

• Members

Originally posted by stereotypy

i prefer the sound of the holy grail to the boss or digitech verbs... when it would be working.

That kind of sums it up. I always get hum on my 2 Holy Grails. They each use a dedicated EH power supply, and they both have a high E hum. I don't use them anymore because I can't stand the hum :(

Now I use an RV5 which doesn't sound nearly as good as the HGs, but it's silent and stereo.

• Members

Originally posted by IndofunkCity

That kind of sums it up. I always get hum on my 2 Holy Grails. They each use a dedicated EH power supply, and they both have a high E hum. I don't use them anymore because I can't stand the hum
:(

Now I use an RV5 which doesn't sound nearly as good as the HGs, but it's silent and stereo.

This may sound like a silly question, but does it hum with a batter?

That would determine if it's a power supply issue, or a shielding issue.

I'd love to take a look at one to determine what it might be. IFC, do think I could borrow one to look at (after I finish the Paneer of course)? I'll see if I can run it by one of the RF guys at work if we think it's an interference problem.

Archived