EHX vs Boomerang for looping

Bernie Franks

• Members

with the new mod, i would consider the 16 sec a superior looper, though i havent played the boomerang. I have lots of 16 sec experience however. It is a great looper. It is the only looper i know of that does modulated loop -- meaning you can pitch shift the looped phrase at will. It is great. There is no pop at all, at least on mine. The size is smaller. There are about 4 minutes worth of recording time. There is also midi out which is useful for syncing a drum machine.

• Members

There doesn't seem to be any common standard for loopers.

Some (EHX 16, PDS8000, older Maneco's, etc) do preset time loops where you set an interval and then whatever you play in that time becomes the loop.

Some (most all the rest) do flexible loops - hit record to start and stop to stop and you set the loop length on the fly.

Some do reverse, some do multiple layers, some allow for undo, some allow for multiple independent loops, some do half speed and double speed, some allow for storage or download of loops, some do MIDI sync, etc.

First figure out what you want from a looper and then look for that feature set.

To just set up a repeating riff to jam along with, I'd suggest the DD20 or RC20, depending on how long a loop you need.

• Members

Originally posted by BmoreTele

First figure out what you want from a looper and then look for that feature set.

I regard it as a must for soundscaping and layering, the ability to combine in one loop these most basic features;

forward and reverse

normal speed/doubling/half speed (one octave up and down)

feedback control (the organic way the first layers of a loop fade out while new layers are added).

• Members

Originally posted by threm

I regard it as a must for soundscaping and layering, the ability to combine in one loop these most basic features;

forward and reverse

normal speed/doubling/half speed (one octave up and down)

feedback control (the organic way the first layers of a loop fade out while new layers are added).

This is what I'm looking to use it for.

• Members

RC-50 and feedback control

The RC-50 was recently discussed on the loopers-delight forum.

Kim Flint, one of the men behind the Echoplex Pro, posted this;

At 02:29 PM 1/21/2006, Doug Cox wrote:

Of the new stuff at the show, both Looperlative LP-1 and Electro-Harmonix 2880 Super Multi-Track Looper have feedback control. Looperlative seems straightforward. You can set feedback independently on any track, and feedback is always happening.

In the EH 2880, feedback only happens on the active track, and only while in overdub. It shares the feedback control with the output level for the track, which seems kind of odd. So if you are setting feedback for overdubbing, it affects the track mix while not overdubbing. And if you have a particular track mix set, it affects feedback when you go into overdub. I asked them why they did that, and they didn't have any good explanation. I also asked why they restrict feedback control to just one track, and only while overdubbing. They didn't understand why anybody would want feedback any other time. They just have it as a way to prevent the loop from overloading. It almost seemed accidental that they have it at all, but it is there.

Boss RC-50 is unclear. The fade in/out function can be set over a complete range of values, but I don't know if overdub can continue while it is fading. (for that matter, I don't really know what this function does exactly, since I didn't see it demoed.) It definitely is not a featured thing about the product.

The looper in Guitar Rig does not have feedback. (there is a delay module with feedback control however.) The NI marketing guy who demonstrated it to me was again clueless why anybody would want feedback in a looper. He said

it would be impossible for them to do it because it is a sample based looper, and it wouldn't work in the design architecture.

at least at Roland, yes.

The RC-50 engineer was at the show, and the demonstrator went looking for him for me but could not find him. I left my card, hopefully he contacts me. I'd like to ask him why.

yep.

Their ad copy even says "create a perfectly synced wall of sound live onstage".

although if you just use loopers to play guitar solos over pre-loaded rhythm loops, maybe this doesn't matter so much. that is how it was mostly being demonstrated.

However, other than the feedback thing the RC-50 is pretty cool. It has 3 stereo tracks in a loop preset. Each is like a separate RC-20xl. You can have 99 presets, with different pre-loaded loops, parameter configurations, and whatnot for each preset. The tracks in a preset can either operate in parallel (all playing together) or sequentially (for verse-chorus-bridge type stuff). Tracks can be different lengths or sync'd together. The tracks

can be independently put into reverse or overdub. It can do time stretching per track to match up tempos. Nice big pedals for selecting tracks. No deeper functions like multiply, insert, copy, etc.

There is a quantize mode for lining commands up to loop boundaries. It has a USB port and loads .wav files directly. Also midi in and out, with claimed midi clock sync both ways.

It does not have a CF card. They said Boss prides itself on making products that are very reliable and can hold up to a lot of abuse on stage, and CF cards are not reliable enough. that is probably true. the CF connector spec was definitely not intended for rugged industrial applications like music performance.

Price is supposed to be $785 list or something like that, about $500 street.

It will be nice when some people really get RC-50's and report back on real-world usage. It is very hard to get a the details at a NAMM demo in the Boss room."

http://www.loopersdelight.com/cgi-bin/wilma_glimpse/LDarchive?query=Boss+RC-50&Search=Search&errors=0&maxfiles=500&maxlines=10&.cgifields=lineonly&.cgifields=restricttofiles&.cgifields=filelist&.cgifields=partial&.cgifields=case

• Members

Originally posted by Cow4prez

i find it funny, the guys asked about the boomerang and the 16 sec and most guys here bring up the rc50. Typical forum bs
:bor:

:D

The first two posts (you - in 9 mins!, and StompBoxMan) basically answered the question, IMO - I've only used the Boomerang+, though. Still, if I were choosing between those two, I'd choose the 16 sec w/ the mod (can I just have an original?!). I didn't like the size, sound quality, or layout of the Boomerang.

But, uh... yeah... on the RC-50. It's new and blinky, and everybody seems to want one. I don't get it :freak:

• Members

i find it funny, the guys asked about the boomerang and the 16 sec and most guys here bring up the rc50. Typical forum bs
:bor:

I was thinking the same thing earlier. :D

It's alright, though. I will probably go the way of the EHX - what's this mod deal? Mod as in modify or mod as in modulation? :confused:

Tricksy bastids...

• Members

Originally posted by Bernie Franks

I was thinking the same thing earlier.
:D

It's alright, though. I will probably go the way of the EHX - what's this mod deal? Mod as in modify or mod as in modulation?
:confused:

Tricksy bastids...

Mod as in modify. The first releases of the 16 Second Reissue did not have the ability to define the loop length by stomping (stomp record to start, stomp play to finish). The mod allows you to do this.

The original 16 Second Delay already allowed this.

• Members

Originally posted by cubistguitar

I have the EH 16 and it drives me nuts that i can't stomp to start, but have to have the count off before i loop. can my model be modded to start looping when i stomp???

yes, this is the mod we are talking about. Someone has the info. Ehx does it for $30. I havent had the time to get mine done though :(

• Members

yes, this is the mod we are talking about. Someone has the info. Ehx does it for $30. I havent had the time to get mine done though
:(

Indofunk had a thread about the mod a couple of months ago

The EHX 16 second delay mod ROCKS!!!

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1114849&highlight=EHX

Archived