Blatant self promotion - latest custom build

dot-dot-dot

• Members

This is the fun stuff - input buffer, tuner mute, two TB loops and ABY outputs with isolation.

switcherootm2aby.jpg

switcherootm2abyguts.jpg

The little board top right is the buffer - prevents pickup loading so you don't lose treble over long cable runs - and the bigger board top left is the isolation so you can't get a ground loop set up between the two amps.

It's hardly Pete Cornish, but I'm quite pleased with this one.

• Members

Looks nice. So one regular, common-ground output and the second one isolated (plastic jack). Are you using a transformer to do the isolated output; is that the black cube? I was going to make one for a guy that would have just been a passive deal with a transformer on one isolated output. I'm not sure how much signal loss that would have had, as I never ended up doing it (but have the parts ready...)

• Members

Yup - I have a board design (and one board made up) for a double-isolated system, but I've yet to see a setup that needed more than just one output isolated.

The black cube is indeed the transformer - an OEP one. Transformer choice is critical in a passive design - I couldn't get a good sounding solution that way, and even buffering the transformer side alone wasn't satisfactory, so my isolated ABY has an input buffer to split the signal without loss and a driver for the transformer too.

That approach definitely works - I did have a couple of returns-for-modification of the first couple of isolated ABYs, but they're now good enough that Machinehead (fairly prominent UK guitar shop) have ditched various big-name ABYs in favour of mine. Which is obviously an enormous ego-boost, even if they only sell two or three a year!

Most of my stuff is pretty obvious design-wise - simple, proven (even "cookbook") circuits that just sound good. I use a lot of LM386 chips (though the high-end variants) and generally try to minimise component count. You can see that there's plenty of slack on the wires in case a switch fails; perhaps less neat, but very fixable.

• Members
Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

Nope - it's a standard single-rail op-amp follower. 1 chip, 3 caps, 4 resistors. All you need. I heart op-amp followers.

Though, that said, I have no idea what the GGG thingy is - it could well be the same thing.

might be the same!

3x 2M2, 2x 10 uF elco's, 1x 0,1uF input cap, around a TL071.

I heart them too. and I really heart my new collection of miniature electrolytics! 4mm x 7mm is 'da {censored}!
electrolytics were ALWAYS the parts that stood highest on my pcb's, but NO MORE! :mad::cool:

• Members
Originally posted by papa taco

That just reeks of popping switches.

:wave:

That's it! You sonovabitch. We are only allowed to say NICE things here now. You are {censored}ing banned, and your postcount.. will... be...

Ah {censored} it. Not funny anyhow.

• Members
Originally posted by Narcosynthesis

I am dissapointed in you Andi, such a nice big surface and no hint of a garish paintjob...

(Or should that be surprise in the fact you managed to restrain yourself?)

Unfortunately this on was a request. Quite often I get "Anything but pink" - I've done a lot of lime green and orange units... ;)

Archived