backwards delay live?

percyexpat

• Members

now i know its physically impossible to have backwards delay (i.e. where it fades/repeats into the note rather than out) but does anyone know of a way of say having the press of a key on a piano sound perhaps half a second after pressed with reverse delay leading into the note. just a thought, itd be cumbersome but the backwards delay does sound amazing. oh and backwards reverb too!

• Members

Danolectro Reverse Delay, or Wasabi Delay

both play whatever your playing backwards in real time, without looping,

Wasabi goes both ways, foreward and back,

reverse goes in reverse

they are the usual Danolectro quality, does one thing, does it okay, and is plastic.

The revese delay is part of the danolectro 60's pedals, along with the psycho flange and the sitar swami.

• Members

Originally posted by FuzzBass

Danolectro Reverse Delay, or Wasabi Delay

both play whatever your playing backwards in real time, without looping,

Wasabi goes both ways, foreward and back,

reverse goes in reverse

they are the usual Danolectro quality, does one thing, does it okay, and is plastic.

The revese delay is part of the danolectro 60's pedals, along with the psycho flange and the sitar swami.

really? real time? hmm.......

• Members

I saw Eric Johnson open up for the Steve Miller Band back in '92 or so. He played "Are You Experienced" and totally copped the backwards solo using a volume pedal to reproduce the backwards-sounding swells.

Other than that, you could use some of these backwards delays which have been mentioned (the Boomerang also has a reverse delay feature, btw) but keep in mind that you will be playing behind the rest of your band by whatever the length of the delay is.

It would be tricky to stay in the same tempo as everyone else.

• Members

if im using this technique itll only be with one or two other musicians, possibly solo. a guitar and maybe cello as well so timing shouldnt be tooooo hard as long as im very careful. i have a volume pedal that i use for creating volume swells but reverse delay sounds quite different. kinda like having about 6 volume pedals and 6 feet cos it all blends into itself depending how fast youre playing.

• Members
Originally posted by j_hotch

I saw Eric Johnson open up for the Steve Miller Band back in '92 or so. He played "Are You Experienced" and totally copped the backwards solo using a volume pedal to reproduce the backwards-sounding swells.

He does that on the ACL DVD using the guitar volume knob!!! :eek:

• Members

Yeah, reverse delay isn't that uncommon. I use a dd-20 to get my reverse delay needs. Sometimes, I think I could go down to a much cheaper delay if I only didn't want the reverse delay feature. The only problem is that there's a slight delay between attack and when it reverses. It's just something that has to be gotten used to. If you don't want that,use the dd-20 to make a loop and then reverse it, though I didn't really like doing that. If this is how you're going to do it, you might want to check out a dl-4 (if you don't mind the risk) because it's a better looper. I also had a ps-3 that did a pretty good real time reverse delay, but that was really the only setting I liked off of it.

• Members

a lot of new delay pedals offer reverse function. in the end its a mather of taste for which one you go. so try as many as you can.
i have two: the marshall echohead and the danelectro back talk reverse delay. i use almost always the dano, because its more psychadelic, but for a very clean reverse delay i use the echohead which also offers tap tempo function which can be very useful when you "must" keep the rhythm right.

Archived