on stage rig help needed

dfibraio

• Members

OK, I am trying to think of the best way to make this happen. I play in a Queensryche tribute band where I cover a lot of guitar parts on keyboards, plus ancillary string or synth parts, plus triggering samples. We do occasionally break out a non-quyeensryche tune. But, I digress. My current rig is as follows:

Roland AX1 shoulder controller, midied into my Yamaha es7, which then runs into a Kurzweil k2661 via the thru port on my es7. I play mostly from the ax1 and I have things set up to switch midi channels from the ax1. I want to add a fantom xr rack and novation a-staton rack to the mix and wonder how best to go about doing it. My goal is to be able to play any of these keyboard from the ax1, and also be able to control the racks from the motif or k2661 through master or setup modes as needed. What is the best way to chain these devices together? Or am I smoking crack in thinking this will work? Any suggestons would be hugely helpful.

• Members

You have a rather complex set-up. The good news is that you have one of the best MIDI controllers on the market with the K2661. I strongly recommend that you use the K2661 as the "brains" of your rig, for programmable functions such as program select, splits, layers, etc., among your various keyboards/modules.

I'm no MIDI expert, but something tells me that you will also need to utilize a MIDI merge device to enable you to play your set-ups, as defined by the K2661, on other keyboards. Something like one of these:

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodmrg.htm

As to how you would go about configuring this is where the comfort level of my advice ends

• Members

Originally posted by dfibraio

OK, I am trying to think of the best way to make this happen. I play in a Queensryche tribute band where I cover a lot of guitar parts on keyboards, plus ancillary string or synth parts, plus triggering samples. We do occasionally break out a non-quyeensryche tune. But, I digress. My current rig is as follows:

Roland AX1 shoulder controller, midied into my Yamaha es7, which then runs into a Kurzweil k2661 via the thru port on my es7. I play mostly from the ax1 and I have things set up to switch midi channels from the ax1. I want to add a fantom xr rack and novation a-staton rack to the mix and wonder how best to go about doing it. My goal is to be able to play any of these keyboard from the ax1, and also be able to control the racks from the motif or k2661 through master or setup modes as needed. What is the best way to chain these devices together? Or am I smoking crack in thinking this will work? Any suggestons would be hugely helpful.

Damon - I've seen your posts before... are you the blind keyboard player? Gotta give you credit, dude - you have quite a setup!

Archived