notes of feedback...

• Members

If I hold a note say, fourth string (D) at 12th fret so a (D) will the feedback I get be a (D) because thats the pitch I was playing?

I'm looking at doing a feeback intro note for when my band starts Sober by Tool....and I want something I can hold for the duration of the bass part, but want it in key...

Other than placing a tuner in front of my cab, is there a theory view of looking at the feedbacking pitch?

• Members

"Real" acoustic feedback will normally be at either the pitch of the note you play, or a related higher harmonic- kinda like you can get natural harmonics at the 12th, 9th, 7th, 5th, 4th, 3.5th etc fret on an open string. It's easier to get the fundamental note (the one you fretted), but you can get all sorts according to how the string vibrates and where you stand, what note you play, how loud you are etc.

It's possible that you'll get "feedback" that has nothing to do with the note you play, but it's more likely to be caused by something like a microphonic pickup, which will act up more at higher gain settings.

• Members

Feedback is unpredictable, but if you hold a note then you're more than likely to get feedback in that note. Same goes with chords. But it depends a lot on your positioning, there's no telling which harmonic is going to get accentuated. So for a D note you could get D, A, Fsharp and a few others (because of natural harmonics in the string.

Even though it's unpredictable, there's nothing stopping you from practicing it.

• Members

I understand and know that feedback is uncontrollable, but with that being said, I know that microphonic feedback isnt waht i'm going for. And with volume and positioning being normal gig volumes, and me standing facing my amp, guitar about 1 1/2 feet from my cab, I should be able to get semi-controlled feedback.

With that kinda positioning, if I play the D at the 12th fret on the D string, the feedback I get will be in the key of D?? But not necessarily a D note

Am I understanding???

• Members

In a way yes, but there are some really high order harmonics that will be like C, E, and some other slightly out of tune notes. It all gets a bit odd the further up you go. I've had it happen before where the feedback is totally out of tune with anything and you wish you hadn't posed so much trying to get it.

• Members

yeah I udnerstand.....I know I used to have a GT3 by boss that had a feedback effect on it, where you could set up a pedal so when you stepped on it it would be on and when you lifted your foot it would turn off. but it would create a feedback type pitch a octave up....so that was kinda cool, didnt work the greatest like normal feedback would, but kinda got the point across.

Archived