OT: Question about grounding and power strips

• Members

Question: If you were to break the ground off of a power strip so that you could plug it into a two-hole wall socket, would the 3-prong power cables you plugged into the 3-hole sockets of the power strip still be grounded?

That is, can the power strip serve as a ground for the adaptors plugged into it, even when the power strip itself is not grounded?

Thanks.

Please do not, ever ever, under any circumstances, break a ground prong off a plug. :(

Use a 3/2 ground lift plug adapter, and ground the green wire coming off of that.

Answer to your original question - no, any three prong plugs that are inserted into the power strip would not be grounded.

• Members

I just called my electrician to see how much it would run to get this whole house grounded professionally (only the bathroom and kitchen sink outlets are grounded currently, running water state law yada yada) and he guessed around $2000 + materials (2 guys w/ a truck at $89/hr for two days), which means it would actually be more like $3000 ( :rolleyes: )

Now, that doesn't really seem fair to me, so I think this 2/3 ground adaptor plug thing is the way to go ($0.99 a piece). So my follow-up questions are: 1. Aside from the cosmetic downside, is there any difference between a "real" ground and this ground lift adaptor (as far as voltage capacity ? 2. What should I ground the outlets to?

Thanks again.

IF (BIG "if") the case of the electrical box (inside the wall) is properly grounded, as it should be, you can usually remove the center screw that holds down the outlet's cover plate, insert the green wire from the adapter under the screw (make sure it's clear of any paint, etc.) and screw it back in. You should check with a meter though to make certain the box is grounded. When in doubt with ANY of this stuff (IOW, anything involving electricity), always consult with a qualified electrician. Better safe than DEAD - which is a real possibility when working with electrical wiring in your home if you don't know what you're doing or are not careful. :(

Archived