Am I crazy for wanting a Flying V?

• Members

i want one, i don't want to spend a ton. Should I just get an Epiphone and slap some new PU's in it. I'm not looking for a fine studio guitar, just something that looks cool and i can bash around at shows.

how are the faded Gibson V's, they at least have the correct wood types.

I don't know, help me out V lovers!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Elliott Damage

Am I crazy for wanting a Flying V?

if by "crazy" you mean "one step away from playing hair band licks" then yes, you crazy.

funny though how a 50s design became THE symbol of 80s rock.

• Members

I have one for this purpose too. It works well enough. Still gotta throw a hot humbucker in the bridge though. Also I think I'm going to have to do some filing on the nut to accomodate 11 gauge strings.

• Members
Originally posted by Elliott Damage

it's strictly a comfort thing
:p
:p

hehe :)

Believe it or not, I find my V very comfortable to play... the neck is up high in the classical position and my GOD it's easy to play above the 15th fret

Sustain is awesome... just get a nice thick piece of wood... You don't have to play death metal or 80s metal... you can play the blues man no problem

Check out the Deans... those are some killer guitars for very reasonable prices

• Members

Originally posted by Rob Eadgbe

Stop thinking Epiphone, either you get a Tokai or save up for the real thing. Just my opinion add salt where needed...

i've never seen a Tokai Flying V but i don't doubt that they exist.

I could just spring for the real thing, they are the cheapest of Gibsons.

• Members

Some of my favorite players used Flying V's. They have great tone. I stopped by GC yesterday and my friend that works there said that almost all the Gibson LTD edition Jimi Hendrix V' sold out in one day nation wide. I think he said they were $8,000.00. :eek:

jimisV.jpg

Archived