zvex or ehx what to buy

fuzzup

• Members

Hi all this is my first thread/post and I just wanted to get some input from some people on this forum about some pedals I'm gassing for. I've already read the user reviews on here just looking for some different opinions on the board, oh yeah and I've heard manufacturers sample clips as well so I don't need that. Just some opinions.

Pedals I'm gassing for: Ehx Tube Zipper, Ehx Pog, Ehx Double Muff, Nyc Muff. Zvex Fuzz Probe, Fuzz Factory, The Machine, wooly mammoth, or maybe even one of those nano amps for recording.

Now I've played the Ehx stuff of course cause you can get it anywhere(though I haven't played them at reasonable levels cause it was in store so obviously it would be different at rehearsal ), but I would have to order the zvex stuff so I cannot try them. I'm interested in knowing how the zvex fuzzes sound with chords and if the pad on the probe is basically just an add on to a ff or if your foot has to be in proximity to the pedal all the time when it is engaged. Also is there any love on this board for the double muff I never see it mentioned but from what I've done with it in store it seems like a very versatile pedal. I Play in a bluesy two piece, with a floating bassist, so I think with the fuzz I can't go wrong but the Pog and especially the zipper just sound so cool.

Rig: I usually use three to five of following pedals- russian muff, guyatone tz-2 fuzz, dano t-bone(love this thing as an overdrive seriously), original whammy, whammy 4, snarling dogs blues bawls wah, ehx worm, deluxe memory man, ehx pulsar, ehx octave multiplexor, ehx graphic fuzz, fender blender re-issue, russian small stone, and a holy grail. These run into a Hot Rod Deluxe, an old canadian made Pax tube amp with trem, or my bedroom amp the dano dirty thirty. Guitars include an 80's usa tele, a burns cobra, a all chrome fender resonator with a set of fishman pickups, or a dano dc-12 recent re-issue set up as a six string. Thanks in advance.

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzup

I'm interested in knowing how the zvex fuzzes sound with chords and if the pad on the probe is basically just an add on to a ff or if your foot has to be in proximity to the pedal all the time when it is engaged.

Depending on which one of the many tones the Fuzz Factory is set, overall it does a good job with chords. In certain settings the Fuzz is so harmonically rich a dissident chord becomes a thing of beauty.

The pad on the Fuzz Probe is user control over the pedals Stab knob. In certain settings with your heal resting on the floor moving your foot forward and back will change pitch of the squeal feedback. Experienced users can accompany their playing with that feature.

• Members

out of all the choices you mentioned i would say get the tube zipper. it is by far the best pedal value i've ever got, tons of USEable sounds. the pog is next on my list, i've also got the graphic fuzz and pulsar and just picked up a nyc muff, i frekin love this thing. but yeah tube zipper man........

• Members

Thanks for the replys. I've already been on both sites to many times to count so that is not really helping my decision, just fueling my gas, but thanks for the links anyways. basically I'm gonna get two pedals to tide me over for a few months, one expensive and one a little easier on the wallet. I think I'm narrowing it down to either the Zipper, FF, or probe on the expensive side and either the double muff, Nyc muff, or maybe a Dod classic fuzz on the cheap side. Thanks stompboxman for the info on the probe its just like what I thought but I wanted to be 100% sure before I paid 400can to get it shipped. If anyone has any more input on any of these, especially the Probe, Zipper, and Double muff I'd be grateful. Thanks

• Members

I'm assuming the red witch is a boutique pedal? I haven't seen any around here and I've only heard of their trem pedal being real good, I think it was a trem pedal anyways. What didn't impress you about the double muff? I heard it can get fuzzy but it is much more defined than either the Nyc or russian, plus it can do the clean boost type of thing as well. I will look into the Red witch thanks for the heads up.

• Members

yeah the fuzz probe is exactly the same as the FF tho of cause it has the theramin plate to control the stab setting. I've been considering getting the probe cause it means I'll still have the FF but then the bonus of the probe when desired. The only thing is that it's much bigger and the controls are on the back facing away. Also it means you've got to be careful your foot/guitar cable doesn't go near the plate. Tho I have heard the plate is meaningless when stab is all the way down. Is this true. Good luck fuzzup, sounds like you've got a bit of spare cash for some great pedals :mad:

:thu:

• 5 months later...
  • Members
Originally posted by fuzzup
Hi all this is my first thread/post and I just wanted to get some input from some people on this forum about some pedals I'm gassing for. I've already read the user reviews on here just looking for some different opinions on the board, oh yeah and I've heard manufacturers sample clips as well so I don't need that. Just some opinions.

Pedals I'm gassing for: Ehx Tube Zipper, Ehx Pog, Ehx Double Muff, Nyc Muff. Zvex Fuzz Probe, Fuzz Factory, The Machine, wooly mammoth, or maybe even one of those nano amps for recording.

I owned a fuzz factory years ago. I wasn't impressed. I just heard the woolly mammoth and now I'm sold! I will have one by next week!

Archived