the Anti-DAW? (anyone NOT using a computer, even some of the time??)

hyperstationjr

• Members

I've just jumped on the anti-DAW campaign...and I don't even have a keyboard yet.

I've been playing with demo versions of several major software packages (Live, FL Studio etc..) and different VSTi's. Twice today I've gotten BSOD's on my XP machine (blue screen of death). This is the FIRST time I've gotten a BSOD on this machine...which by the way I built from scratch myself. I'm sure it was a driver problem to the "iffy" Audigy card I have in this beast....the only thing that was "used" on this machine. Everything else was bought brand new and running tip-top for the past year.

So, if and when I do get a keyboard, it's only going to be hooked to my computer for minimum usage, so I guess it's a hardware sequencer for me.

• Members

I found that I only used my computer for recording although I don't sequence anymore. Now I run standalone CS80V on it through SB Audigy 2 onboard effects.

This is quite simple and weird setup compared to what most people have. But at the moment I'm exploring the potential of a synthesizer as a solo instrument :-)

• Members

Originally posted by rpieket

No mouse, no keyboard, no software installation, no drivers, no patch files, no virus software, no email programs, no browsers, no application switching, no VSTI compatibility issues, no right or wrong operating system, no copy protection, no dongles, no software license agreements...

It's the user experience that we're talking about. Not what's inside the black box. It could contain a hamster for all I care.

-Ron.

It's easy being anti-anything if you don't necessarily need it. This doesn't touch me personally, but some forms of music just can't be made without a computer like drum and bass or glitchy IDM etc... simply due to the amount of sample editing and slicing and dicing and FX routing etc....also, composers who score for film or make classical can't possibly emulate a full symphony orchestra on a workstation and a friggin' multi-track. Ok, theroretically yes, but practically, no!

As for myself, I just love the way the DAW software (Cubase SX2 for me) makes everything so quick. I can take a phrase, reverse it, slice it, effect it, loop it, double it, pitch it, move it, gate it, stretch it etc etc within a matter of seconds indestructively....yes, you can perform most of those functions on a good sampler / multi-track , mut not nearly as fast, not even close. Being able to test out ideas quickly is essential to my creative process.

Sure, I'll go hardware only, as long as you give me a 20 inch TFT monitor, a mouse and keyboard to go along with my multi track recorder with unlimited tracks and infinite built in effects. ;)

:wave:

Having said that, I realise making music with your ears is what one should do, and NOT with the eyes. To counter this, I always turn off the monitor when I record and / or play back!

• Members

Well, I didn't start this post in hopes of deterring people from not using a computer... in fact, I'm one of the types that really can't get along without one... (being into glitchy IDM and all...).

I do think it's interesting though, for someone in my shoes, who is generally so "tied" to the computer, by habit, by "genre", whatever it is, to try and step out and do the same sorts of things, sample editing/slicing, effects and manipulation, WITHOUT the computer, and out of the habitual environment.

I think that's important, even more so to those of us who "need" the computer, otherwise you end up doing a lot of the same tricks of the trade so to speak.

I've had very interesting results working with just my hardware the last few days, in fact mainly just an MPC and some samples...

I guess if for nothing else, it's a good exercise, just to push yourself and how you use the tools you have, wether it be a computer and some software or a 4-track tape recorder...

• Members

I work with computers all day so I've avoided using a DAW until this point. Intead, I bought an Oasys since it provided me with everything I needed (though the sequencer could use some work).

Now I'm planning to buy a MacBook or MacBook Pro, but I'm more interested in using it for soft-synths and maybe later dabbling with Logic.

Mark

• Members

Funny, as convenient and cost effectivtive the DAW systems seem to be now, this trend seems to have made people more and more into programmers rather than players. This means less time actually playing the keys on the keyboard and more time tweeking and programming sequences.

Almost every new product on the market now is software based and things are starting to get repetitive. The quality of alot of this software is dubious because it is "made" to be inexpensive and constantly upgradable. Nothing wrong with being able to upgrade but whatever happened to making most out of limitations? Too much emphasis on tweaking, editing and sound manipulating. This has resulted in too much control over the medium IMO, resulting in less enthusiasm for the natural process of creating and developing a thought process by actually manually "playing" music on keyboard and layering (to a hard disk recorder, etc.) contrasting lines without priming the whole arrangment to have to always be sequenced for player piano style playback.

• Members

Originally posted by Peekaboo Fuzzy

resulting in less enthusiasm for the natural process of creating and developing a thought process by actually manually "playing" music on keyboard and layering (to a hard disk recorder, etc.) contrasting lines without priming the whole arrangment to have to always be sequenced for player piano style playback.

Not at all. I play most of my stuff live 'on the keyboard' and keep it as it is, unless the timing is horribly off. I avoid 'programming by mouse click' as much as possible. I love just jamming and recording lines. What difference does it make whether the recorded audio resides in a computer or a hard disk recorder?

The one thing I praise DAW's for is the after manipulation of recorded audio, unlimited fx, dynamics processing all of that. It would be rather tough to separately process 40 tracks of audio through different hardware dynamics processors and would require more budget than I can dream of.

• Members

Originally posted by Peekaboo Fuzzy

Funny, as convenient and cost effectivtive the DAW systems seem to be now, this trend seems to have made people more and more into programmers rather than players. This means less time actually playing the keys on the keyboard and more time tweeking and programming sequences.

Almost every new product on the market now is software based and things are starting to get repetitive. The quality of alot of this software is dubious because it is "made" to be inexpensive and constantly upgradable. Nothing wrong with being able to upgrade but whatever happened to making most out of limitations? Too much emphasis on tweaking, editing and sound manipulating. This has resulted in too much control over the medium IMO, resulting in less enthusiasm for the natural process of creating and developing a thought process by actually manually "playing" music on keyboard and layering (to a hard disk recorder, etc.) contrasting lines without priming the whole arrangment to have to always be sequenced for player piano style playback.

I don't really see why that's a "bad" thing... at least that's the impression you are giving of it.

It's just not the "traditional" style of writing music where you have several sections, choruses, identifiable chord progressions, etc...

Though even those basic things can be argued...

I may just be getting a bit on the defensive, but you do seem to be pinning the "programmer" aspect of it as a bad thing, and I just don't understand that. I fail to see how that is not a "valid" form of expression and song writing...

I also don't want to turn this into a pissing match...

I just fail to see how "less enthusiasm for the natural process of creating and developing a thought process by actually manually "playing" music on keyboard" has to do with anything. Don't you think guys like Bach, Mozart and Beethoven would have tried if they were able to bang out melodies and harmonies with a hand drum and have that translated to notes ??

• Members

Yes, they would have. There is no need to get on the defensive. Programing in many ways can be like composing with paper only easier I suppose. The funny thing is that DAW desktops or laptops have become like sacred cows. MOOOOO.:p No but seriously, I am just trying to point out how the art of improvisation and "happy accidents" in music recording seem to be dying out because of the "edit until I drop syndrome". The most progressive and experimental ideas in music appeared to reach much higher levels before DAWS. The film industry was the same way. Mainstream Hollyood in the 70's was far more socio-politcal and experimental and the editing and film making process of today would make them look like cavemen.

• Members

But that's not the technologies fault, and I also don't even necessarily feel that there is "less" improvisation now because of DAWs... in fact, I might say the opposite is true, I mean in the days of tape, who could really afford to just muck around while the tab was running?

I will say that, sure pound for pound maybe the music that IS released isn't so great, but I think thats more a point of perspective than anything... But with non-destructive editing and basically infinite recording media available, "Improvisation", perhaps not in the most traditional of senses, but one way or another, IS a factor.

I do understand the point you are making, and while it ma be true in film (where editing digitally can really be a clinical, fairly dull ordeal...), in the world of music, I don't know. I think it depends on who you are talking about and what they do.

You have artists who are basically totally "programmers" who do sometimes totally live improvisational, even random live sets like Autechre.. I'm kind of blank at the moment otherwise, but I think the point is that, while there may not be a lot of people sitting around and playing some scales, improvisation and creativity with tools is still very much alive.

The other thing is, there are happy accidents from editing too... that's basically how all of my "sound" happens! :thu:

• Members

I have two studios.

one all software,

ableton live 5.2

DP 4.6

phatmatik pro

battery 2

Another, at a seperate location

Akai s5000

Akai S6000

ensoniq esq/M w several voice crystal patch carts

lots of real percussion instruments

drum set

hired instrumentalists

yamaha aw4416

I track vocals at a bigger studio.

I like both, but perfer the hardware studio

• Members

Originally posted by hyperstationjr

By seperate location, do you mean within the same appartment, or like a whole other house?

I think that's very interesting, and i'd love to try that, just no room at this point...

whole separate location,

I built a treated room inside of a wharehouse, it is my creative space

Archived