the Anti-DAW? (anyone NOT using a computer, even some of the time??)

hyperstationjr

• Members

My computer's (BOTH OF THEM?!) are down and need new OS's and clean HD's...

So that got me thinking... I'm just wondering what you guys do when there is no computer around, or when you're not looking to work on it?

That's kind of tricky for me because I work with 2 Nord Mods which run w/ soft editors... Still, I have an MPC, a QY70 and some other stuff which should be enough...

What do you guys do? I sort of mean ASIDE from a basic all-in-one workstation.. anyone doing anything particularly different in terms of how they record/sequence???

• Members

No computer at all in the studio (yet).

Sequencing: MD-MnM, other synths Fantom, NL2x through mixer with Line 6 Echo Pro and Sony DPSV55 effects in aux configuration. Mixer outs to monitors and Boss BR 12 track recorder. Switch on one power strip, booting of synths takes 5-6 seconds and there you go, hit play, play the keys push rec button on DAW. Intend to upgrade to Yamaha AW2400 for more pro features.

Hardware rules (for me). :wave:

• Members

Originally posted by eminor9

No computer at all in the studio (yet).

Sequencing: MD-MnM, other synths Fantom, NL2x through mixer with Line 6 Echo Pro and Sony DPSV55 effects in aux configuration. Mixer outs to monitors and Boss BR 12 track recorder. Switch on one power strip, booting of synths takes 5-6 seconds and there you go, hit play, play the keys push rec button on DAW. Intend to upgrade to Yamaha AW2400 for more pro features.

Hardware rules (for me).
:wave:

Sounds very familiar. I have no interest in a studio computer - I do computers all day.

Guest Anonymous

I use a MPC, MC-909, MC-808 and alot of other synths for writing. I only use Protools for sample editing and tracking. I have another computer set up with V-Stack and some softsynths.

It never gets turn on.

:rolleyes:

• Members

I only use a DAW when I actually want to track and mix something - for just messing around and jamming Ill use the sequencer in my MD or Fusion or use the HD recorder on the Fusion, or for played drums, then the sequencer in my TD12.

Can quite happily live with out a DAW most of the time...

Originally posted by Allerian

Sounds very familiar. I have no interest in a studio computer - I do computers all day.

For exactly that reason.

• Members

No ProTooling. No fooling!

I have a Yamaha AW4416 multitrack recorder, an Otari BIII R2R, a Tascam DAT, my keyboards, and NOT ONE COMPUTER! WOOHOO!

Of course, the AW4416 has a computer in it, but I assume you mean the PC/Mac variety.

Not that I'm dead set against them in the studio. I just never got into the idea of looking at your gear on a flat screen.

• Members

That's very interesting, because most of the work I do is VERY computer based, so it becomes difficult sometimes to create without it.

The funny thing is I MAINLY use hardware sequencers and exclusively use hardware synths, but the synths are edited on the computer (Nord Mods) and I route/reroute MIDI all over the place with software. Audio I can reroute with the 2 patchbays I have so that's not a problem, but I m finding it interesting to try and work without any computer in the mix, which is very difficult...

Usually I'll just have the G2 running a beatbox type patch with sequencing and FM percussion/pads, controlling both the G1 and MPC with some light MPC sequencing here and there...

Today I tried just using an MPC, and I'm able to get some interesting loops, but not much more than that.. still, an interesting experiment...

It seems like the computer is just too powerful a tool to not use for at least SOMETHING these days... I know some of you expressed you didn't like using it much at all, but quite a few confessed to using it for at least basic tracking, which makes sense since using some 4 track tape or something would be pretty limiting... But having something like that around does sound like a nice idea...

Anyways, I'm just trying to start some dialogue about this subject, I think people kind of forget what they are actually doing sometimes, even those of use who don't touch soft-synths with a 10-foot pole tend to rely on the computer a LOT for even basic tasks. I think it's interesting to kind of pay attention or notice what the hell it is you do and what your process is, because I think it's also interesting to pay attention to whether or not you should explore that process more in-depth, or make change...

[/rant]

• Members

I find myself constantly evaluating and changing my work flow to find that inspirational setup. I'd like to be able to reach a point where I can just jump on and jam, with little setup, but I am always finding better ways to set up my gear. It changes every time I get some new piece of gear as well - I will try to fit it into my kit, even if I don't necessarily need it. I'm torn because I also think you need to be flexible, and be experimental.

This is a good thread.

• Members

I know that feeling, and I find every few months I do that, but lately, I've been very VERY happy running just a G2, G1 and MPC. At one point I had like 5 keyboards, 5 modules and a drum machine, and I've basically paired it down to just those three...

I've kept 2 keyboards and one module around for their performance ability or sound but can do most of what I need within the confines of those three great pieces. I've been adding some software to that mix with Max/MSP, but more than anything it's just a springboard for more interesting work with my G2. (I think I would like to work on smoothing out data-transfer though, that's one thing that really bugs the hell out of me...)

Obviously everyone is different and has a different workflow, but I think it's interesting to keep it pared down to a few tools that are very "modular" in nature, and experiment with how they interconnect...

Does anyone else find themselves constantly buying new equipment (even say once every few months) just for the sake of something fresh? I don't mean in a "gear-whore" kind of way, but just trying to find new materials to work with, or perhaps working with new routings or something? I think this is a HUGE part of electronic music, especially for those of us who work by our selves.

I also agree this is a god thread :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by 13ghostsofscoobydoo

I use a Korg d16XD for recording and the elektron monomchine for all my sequencing. I bought the korg second hand on ebay for about $1100 which is a great realistic price. For my needs I couldn't be happier.

in other words.... COMPUTER APLENTY!!!

• Members

Originally posted by hyperstationjr

I'm just wondering what you guys do when there is no computer around, or when you're not looking to work on it?

That's kind of tricky for me because I work with 2 Nord Mods which run w/ soft editors...

I've tried really hard to be computer free so built my setup around a Roland digital multitracker and a Yamaha Motif...it samples, sequences and controls my only other synth (a synthesizers.com modular) so I don't need a computer at all

EXCEPT

I was seduced by Yamaha's PLG150-AN board which is a nice VA that can only be deep edited with a computer. I now have three of them in my Motif and am already paranoid about the day when there won't be any computer available that can still run the editor software (I went through this nightmare once already when my Atari ST bellied up). Well maybe I'll be lucky and either the Motif will die before then or I will :thu:

Anyway except for patch editing the VA boards, I can run 100% independent of the computer and in fact rarely boot it up :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by myteeGTi

in other words.... COMPUTER APLENTY!!!

No mouse, no keyboard, no software installation, no drivers, no patch files, no virus software, no email programs, no browsers, no application switching, no VSTI compatibility issues, no right or wrong operating system, no copy protection, no dongles, no software license agreements...

It's the user experience that we're talking about. Not what's inside the black box. It could contain a hamster for all I care.

-Ron.

Archived