Distortion/Overdrive for a Fender Blues Junior

• Members

I think I'm going to buy a Blues Jr amp, its in my price range, and the cleans are great, and I hear it takes pedals very well. I play a wide range of styles, so a Jekyll and Hyde seems reasonable, plus its the one that The Strokes use, and we might play a song by them. I play songs from Red Hot Chili Peppers and the before mentioned Strokes, to Dream Theater and Megadeth. While the Blues Junior probably won't nail the tones of the last two bands, it would be nice to come close. By buying the Blues Jr. I would have 200 dollars to spend on pedals. Suggestions? :wave:

• Members

I have a Blues Jr. I've used it with a DS-1, CC2, bigtone Ge fuzz clone, Jeckyl & Hyde, FD-2, SD-1, and they all sounded good with it when set up properly. I can't recommend the FD-2 enough with this amp, although for a bit more money you can get a FoxRox ZIM with a B9 card that sounds just like the FD-2 but can also do a lot more.

You can definately get decent Megadeath tones out of a Blues Jr. with the right gain pedal. Its not going to sound like a cranked half-stack, but you can get into the ballpark. I can't imagine needing any more gain having J&H and CC2 available.

• Members

Originally posted by fourthave_cafe

Thanks a lot, will definitely look into those
:thu:
Can the FD-2 do metal as well?

No. FD-2 will get you some Hendrix type OD and feedback, but its not going to sound like a Mesa or anything.

If you pop an EQ in front of the FD-2 you might be able to get a decent scooped metal sound, but I've never tried it. Generally to get that kind of sound you're going to need a full on distortion pedal with a good EQ section.

• Members

Oh, but the Jekyll and Hyde will? Thanks man, sorry for all the questions
:freak:

Haha no problem. the J&H is similar to the FD-2, just has more gain available in my opinion. Go for the red version, its a bit more money but the distortion sounds better on it. I think if you're going for more high gain sounds its going to serve you better than the FD-2 for sure.

Check out the Sansamp Tri-AC or GT-2 as well. Not sure how those would respond to a BJ, but they can deliver great higher gain sounds that are very natural sounding.

• Members

Thanks a lot for the help, I am definitely going to go out and play the Jekyll and Hyde
:D

Remember that anything that is carried at Guitar Center can be borrowed for 30 days and then returned for a full refund ;)

• Members

i own a j and h and i love it. it does pretty much everything i want besides a thick heavy fuzz sound. so i am using right now a j and h and a big muff and thats it for gain. the j and h will do overdrive and a classic crunch very well. it also can do heavier 90s alternative well. good pedal overall for about $120 and you can combine them to get a good lead boost sound as well.

• Members

I have a blues junior, and I use a good range of different pedals

I've got an OS-2, a non-LED RAT, a TS9DX, a JH-2S fuzz (dunlop fuzz), and an FZ-3.

My only gripe with the Blues Junior is that you can't get a really tight bass sound out of it. Fenders have a tendency to have a sort of "farty" sound. And it's not really aimed towards high gain sound. the playing space in my room is limited, and i play so close to my amp that feedback tends to be a problem, but otherwise, it works pretty well. Just, as said, the feedback is a bit nuts (but only, really, with the classic fuzz), but, surprisingly, it can act as a decent high gain distortion as well as a nasty fuzz with the right settings. I used to have an MT-2, and that {censored} feedbacked worse than the fuzz.

But, like said, my playing space is within a couple feet of my amp, really, since i have a small bed room.

Basically, if you can get a better bass response out of it, I'm still a big fan of the RAT pedals. you can get nice high gain tone and definitely make them overdrive as well (yeah, i said it...the RAT is also an overdrive, not a dist/fuzz completely).

• Members

yeah its near impossible for me to get a distorted tone im satisfied with when playing my blues junior. the low end thing really is a problem too. it just gets farty...so running any gain pedals with a decent amount of low end just turns to mush. i really want to like my blues junior more cause ive had it for years...i guess el-84's just arent my thing.

• Members

Ok well as far as the farty sound with the BJ, you can do some simple mods to the tone stack that will help tighten things up a bit.

Check here:

http://home.comcast.net/~machrone/bluesjunior.htm

Also, it takes a while for the stock speaker to break in. And if you want, buy a high quality speaker and pop it in there and it will make a big difference.

I've had my BJ for 6 years now, and its still runing strong on its original tubes and speaker. I think if you want a great dirty tone from an amp like that, I think the Pro Jr. is a better bet. It has a smaller speaker but I think that gives it a tighter sound when cranking the amp into overdrive.

As for the feedback, thats one of the things I love about the BJ the most. Give me a wah and crank that thing and its controlled feedback heaven. At the same time its easy to avoid the feedback as long as you keep the guitar in the right spots.

• Members

I have a 50th Anniversary two tone Blues Jr. and its a great amp. They take pedals very well! I have had every pedal under the sun(Boss, Way Huge, Fulltone, Rat, Banzaii, Keeley Mods, KLON, Mesa, etc.). Some pedals take over the amps great natural tone while others work in unison so you get some of that amp's sound coming through. The most versatile overdrive I have played in years has been the Barber Direct Drive. You can go from country lead to blues searing tones to modded Marshall. Very dynamic pedal that doesn't make your guitar sound thin. Also, they are not too expensive...$129 new or $90 used. Also, if you get a chance try out the new Pedal line from Diamond. They make a pedal called the Fireburst, which is a Fuzz Pedal with a mids boost. The store near me can't keep them on their shelves. It helps you get the Eric Johnson violin tone...very refined fuzz tone. They are a little more pricey ($199), but worth every penny. No I am not paid to hype them, its just good to see small companies making great pedals. Last but not least, Sean over at Lovepedals is making some great stuff, definitely worth a try!

• Members

Originally posted by ode2no1

yeah its near impossible for me to get a distorted tone im satisfied with when playing my blues junior. the low end thing really is a problem too. it just gets farty...so running any gain pedals with a decent amount of low end just turns to mush. i really want to like my blues junior more cause ive had it for years...i guess el-84's just arent my thing.

oh i love mine, it's just that I sort of wish I had the money to invest in a different speaker or better pots for the EQ controls. The thing can be a screamin' amp with a few mods and some better tubes (get those sovteks outta there! Tesla/JJ!)

Archived