If you are a GOOD jazz player

• Members

Originally posted by Learning67

Never used jazz instructional book ever.

Listen to jazz music. All the time. Learn the cannon of the major recordings. Listen to jazz.

LISTEN TO JAZZ.

Transcribe, practice, jam, play, gig....

BUT LISTEN to jazz.

Listen to

Bud Powell, Red Garland, Wynton Kelly, Ahmad Jamal, John COltrane, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Lester Young, Charlie Parker, Coleman Hawkins, Sonny Stitt, Grant Green, Larry Young, Freddie Hubard, Cedar Walton, Billy Higgins, Sara Vaughn, Nina Simon, Carmen McCrae, Abbey Lincoln, Wayne Shorter, Bobby Timmons, Lee Morgan, George COleman, Ornett Colelman, Steve Coleman, Red Rodney, Bill Evans, Paul Motion, Eric Alexander, Joe Farnsworth, Wes Mongomery, Max Roach, SOnny Rollis, Clifford Brown, Hnak Mobley, Joe Henderson, Phineous Newborn Jr, Dizzy Gillespie, Don Byas, Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Duke Ellington, DOn CHerry, Charlie Haden, Cassandra Wilson, Jimmy Smith, George Benson, Joe Lavano, BIll Stewart...I could go on with another 50 names.

These are your books. Listen to them. If you dont listen to them, you wont swing.

Books dont teach you to swing. Recordings do.

And buy the CDs. Dont download the tunes. You need to know the albums because thats how GOOD jazz musicians refer to the music. Listen to the old guys. Devour everything made between WWII and 1968. THe new records (and I included newer names in that list up there) are built upon the old ones.

New in jazz is often redundant and uninspired. If you dont know Bud Powell's music...you aint playing jazz piano. No discussion. No debate.

Great post Rob! :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by suitandtieguy

your jazz score is a compound score based on note velocity, number of scales navigated, accuracy of scale navigation, number of incidents of side-stepping (mainly for Bostonians), and tone.

LOL. Like to add, additional points for each mode used, for each half-diminished scale run, and for lines that only use quartal or 2nd intervals (no 3rds). You ought to hear me put all that {censored} in "Last Date" :D .

• Members

Originally posted by suitandtieguy

your jazz score is a compound score based on note velocity, number of scales navigated, accuracy of scale navigation, number of incidents of side-stepping (mainly for Bostonians), and tone.

LOL. Like to add, additional points for each mode used, for each half-diminished scale run, and for lines that only use quartal or 2nd intervals (no 3rds). You ought to hear me put all that {censored} in "Last Date" :D .

Archived