mystery box

• Members

Originally posted by mookiebaylock17

is that a good pedal ?

i prob wouldnt get it just for the shame of feeling like copying him

but i wanna know anyways

If that's what it is, you probably wouldn't get it because it's a bit pricey.

• Members

Originally posted by mookiebaylock17

dude its not gonna suck

have you heard worldwide suicide and unemployable

they rock

im going to 4 shows in may

Ive been a fanclub member since 96.... Im stoked as {censored}...

Did Vedder write more material this time?

• Members

Originally posted by ejk

Yeah that has to be a Brown Source, the knobs appear to match up and the color scheme/shape of the box is dead on.

I would almost gaurantee that it is not a Brown Source. There apears to be (2) stomp switches on the right hand side of the pedal, and a large cream colored chicken head knob in the middle of the box with maybe (3) knobs on the left. It also appears to slope forward. Also the paint appears to be a brown burst.I don't know what it is though. Sorry I wasn't much help.

• Members

http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/PearlJam/gear/ed.html#Effects

You are correct that Ed typically does not use guitar effect pedals, and the fact that there is a foot pedal present at his feet during the filming of SVT is purely a fluke. At times - such as during those rehearsals - Ed has experimented with using various distortion pedals, but one has never stuck - either because he wasn't happy with the distortion, or because he doesn't want to fuss with a foot pedal by his microphone stand. On top of that, Ed's really interested in guitars with distortion and/or effects built on-board the guitar, such as in the vintage, Italian-made Vox guitars that he owns. With those guitars he can turn the distortion, and/or other effects, on and off at the flip of a switch right on the guitar itself. It's a pretty neat concept, but whereas the Vox guitars naturally sound O.K., they don't sound great. So far though, Ed's never taken one of the Vox's out on tour with him. (You can check out one of his Vox's at the very beginning of "MFC" on the SVT video.)

So if he uses no effect pedals live, and no Vox guitars live, then how does he get his distortion?? Well, it's actually a little bit purer approach. First of all, most of the time Ed plays his guitars using only the front (neck) pickup. This pickup typically has a thicker, muddier tone due to its position along the length of the string. And so with the positioning of that pickup, it's a little easier to "overdrive" your amp with your strumming/picking technique. Second, Ed sets his amp tone by first dialing in a loud, clean, full tone. (Clean being the important word there.) He adjusts his input gain right to the point where the "clean" tone is on the verge of distorting slightly. Once this is set, his sound (clean or dirty) is controlled purely with his hands, changing with the intensity he chooses to strum the strings with. If he picks more delicately, he can achieve a cleaner tone. If he picks harder and more aggressively, he can achieve a distorted tone. Cool, huh?

Archived