Which Tube Screamer?

• Members

Originally posted by whitegreyblack

What would you suggest as an alternative.

Bear in mind I'm loooking for a nice overdriven sound and not a ton of distortion (from this pedal, anyway)

The Digitech Bad Monkey is an effective alternative. It has about the same amount of distortion as a TS, with slightly flatter mids.

As far as a true TS pedal goes, I think the best bang-for-the-buck is the TS-7. In the mornal mode I think it sounds close to the 808, plus you have the option of the hot mode. The switch tends to be irratic when running on batteries, but I've found it to ber pretty reliable when run from a power supply. It's a voltage controlled switch, so when battery voltage drops the switch won't always activate.

• Members

Originally posted by tocs100

Slightly OT: What's the Mac Mini/GarageBand got for overdrive and EQ? I want to pick one of those up in a few months.

GragaeBand has a full range of amp modeling, effects, etc.

You can make it scream, growl, etc. It's pretty robust and versitile in what it can do, to tell you the truth.

I'm a simple kind of guy though, and I just want to have a couple pedals that I use to shape the sound the way I want before I put it into the Mac.

• Members

I guess nobody else has mentioned that Tubescreamers boost your mids, and cut your bass... Now for some kinds of music this is a good thing. But for hardcore, where chunky palm mutes are a big part of the sound, the TS may leave you hanging.

I'd say check out an SD-1, and some of the many overdrives out there that try to improve on the TS by taking the midhump out and giving your bass back.

• Members

Originally posted by Matter-Eater Lad

I really only like the TS9DX when it's turning an already somewhat distorting amp into higher gain. Alone into a clean amp it doesn't do much.

in fact, going into a clean amp SUCKS.

I had the same problem when I had a ts9dx and I went through a roland jc-120.

it was down-right horrendous

• Members

I use my TS9DX just to dirty up my clean sound and make it a little more interesting. I generally leave it on all of the time. It adds a really cool sustain to my setup. It also makes all of my other dirt pedals sound cool when they're both engaged.

The only reason i would recommend the TS9DX over the TS9 is because they both have the TS9 circuit, but the DX has 3 other ones to choose from, for only like ten more bucks.

• Members
Originally posted by FLYING V 83

This one:

POWERSCREAMER.jpg

This ones REALLY good ts9/808 type pedal. It has all the bass you want and the sound is FAT.
The best I know...

Another good option is to get cheap TS7 or something and Boss SD-1. They work really well together.

Archived