Anyone ever cancelled a money order?

inscho

• Members

I sent a postal money order to chitown terror, he received the money order but he lost it on the way to the bank.

So has anyone ever tried to cancel a money order. I think I remember talking to the post office about it and they said something about it taking a couple months at least.

If anyone has any info about this please let me know.

thanks

:(

• Members
Originally posted by preservation

both are solid dudes, but if i lost the money order i'd still send whatever the person had bought.

Yeah, it was kinda freaky. One minute it's in my friggin' pocket, the next, I realize it's not there and could be anywhere in a ten block radius. His stuff's on the way though, and I'm prepared to take the loss if it can't be canceled.

I figure I'll just eat whatever fees if I can get some of it back, I'll be happy. :o

• Members

It just takes a LONG time. I had to do it at work once and it was really annoying because it was like $250 that I was in charge of mailing out every week as a money order. The company billing us kept threatening to cancel our service because the one payment was lost. But I had to wait I think 90 days before I could resend it.

I think I quit before that ever got resolved.

• Members

you have to wait 60 days after you purchased the money order,then fill out a form and give the postal service $3 to see if it has been cashed. then if it hasen't they will reissue another money order.

just went through this for a $20 money order. from now on i will use paypal or a check.

pete

• Members
Originally posted by pfindeis

you have to wait 60 days after you purchased the money order,then fill out a form and give the postal service $3 to see if it has been cashed. then if it hasen't they will reissue another money order.

just went through this for a $20 money order. from now on i will use paypal or a check.

pete

60 days :eek: before you can even fill out the form?! :mad:

• Members

Originally posted by KjStrat62

Before you cancel the mo first stop payment!! This is so whoever finds it won't cash in.

can you stop the payment on a money order? also don't you have to show ID when cashing a money order?

• Members
Originally posted by DJLantz444

If he lost it shouldn't he be responsible for it?

except it was an honest mistake, and I would hope someone would do the same for me if I was in his shoes. and chitown is a good guy, so I don't mind go the extra mile to help him out :thu:

• Members

International MO suck badly. I just bought one a few weeks ago and Western Union really rip you off on any exchange rates they give.

Considering how much money they make out of these MO, they should have a much quicker reimbursement period in this age of super fast computing.:idea:

• Members

Yeah you can stop payment/cancel them. Same thing. You just have to have that little stub - the torn off part of the MO.

Yes you have to show ID when cashing at the Post office but I assume enforcement is all over the place around the country.

I've had good luck when dealing with the USPO take the stub up there and talk to them, it might not take that long.

Good luck.

Originally posted by inscho

can you stop the payment on a money order? also don't you have to show ID when cashing a money order?

Archived