Distortion pedal for early Van Halen

• Members

I know its impossible but I am looking for a good pedal to get close to the early VH records. I play a ESP thru and Mesa Studio .22+. My Visual sound Jeckyll and Hyde is a good all around sounding pedal but I want something to give me that hot rodded Marshall sound. Looks like a Tone Bone Hot British, Menatone KOB, Carl Martin Plexi Drive or HAO Rust Driver. Any opinions out there?

• Members

+1 on the Emma. That bias knob is really useful. It's a great sounding overdrive, plus Robben Ford, Santana, Gary Moore and EVH all live in there if you tweak it just right. Very cool.

Plus it stacks well with other drive pedals when the gain is anywhere but maxed (if you're into that kind of thing).

• Members

I just got a hot british and i think its awsome. Everyone has me wondering about the crunch box though. I have to say i listened to the clips on their website, and i wasnt all that impressed. If the crunch box sounds as good as the hot british, i might get it to take up less space and save a little money. I got a good deal on mine off ebay for $102.

So what do you say.....has anyone ever compared these two side by side?

• Members

Originally posted by Armoredfist316

I just got a hot british and i think its awsome. Everyone has me wondering about the crunch box though. I have to say i listened to the clips on their website, and i wasnt all that impressed. If the crunch box sounds as good as the hot british, i might get it to take up less space and save a little money. I got a good deal on mine off ebay for $102.

So what do you say.....has anyone ever compared these two side by side?

I have. The HB was my favorite high gain box. It did all I wanted and sounded great with singles or doubles. The one setback to it was that the mids were not controllable via a knob but a switch. I could never get the mids to sit where I wanted them. The CB in comparison just has the mids right where they should be (for my tastes). The CB has as much if not more gain on tap and more volume. It even sounds more tube-like without a tube in it compared to the HB with a tube. I am convinced that the tube in the HB doesn't do much as has been discussed in the past.

So basically, the CB sounds better (to me), has a much smaller footprint, can be powered with a regular power supply (9v) and costs only $100. It is the hands down winner for me.

• Members
Originally posted by Armoredfist316

I just got a hot british and i think its awsome. Everyone has me wondering about the crunch box though. I have to say i listened to the clips on their website, and i wasnt all that impressed.

That's because a certain crappy guitarist "Ed Degerno" played the clips. He's horrible.

• Members

I've seen comparisons made between the CB and the HB several times now, and I'd say it's about even as far as which one is preferred. Of course, based on price and size, it's hard to top the CB.

It probably comes down to doing your own shoot out and then selling one you like less. At $100, it's a tempting shootout though.

• Members
Originally posted by Cell House Boss

Thanks for the replys. I am thinking for the money the Crunch Box looks like the way to go. I live in a very remote area and I rely heavily on this forum to find gear. It would be impossible for me to do a side by side.

Probably the safe bet. Keep in mind that if the CB doesn't work out for you, you can most likely get all your money back for it on eBay whereas the HB depreciates rather quickly since there are so many of them out there. I doubt you'd be dissapointed with the CB though. Also keep in mind that the CB has been updated recently. You can read about the upgrades to it at www.miaudio.com

Archived