Ouch!!! Gear Page hard drive failure!!!

Jaymeister

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yea, it's too bad about the Gear Page... but it will be back up and kicking soon enough. And yea... the pedalboard thread was pretty slick.

The only problem here is that my ussual nick "exodus" had been hacked down to "exo":cry:

• Members

Latest Update:

The Gear Page is Offline Temporarily.

**UPDATE** From Brian Scherzer:
I'll try to address the many questions and issues that have been raised. I am currently at work and I rarely check in from there, but had a feeling that today would be the day I would do it......glad I did! Here goes:

1. Our service provider is the same one that BaM is located with.

2. When we made the move from our old service provider to this one, we had $3543 (I'm quoting this from memory) in the coffers. I paid about $2900 to the new provider for a year in advance on what APlus considers their "premium server package", plus a couple of add-ons....an extra gig of RAM and an FTP backup package. WE were responsible for the backing up on that package, not the service provider. We did not have sufficient funds to get even more add-ons like a RAID 1 configuration. If I could have, I would have purchased a package that would have cost us $399 a month. We just didn't have the funds for that.

3. Please remember that people were complaining about how slow the other server was. We were paying $139+ per month for that on what was called a "Virtual Private Server" (meaning that there were only a small number of websites on the server). Based on the complaints, I felt compelled to move to a dedicated server before we had the financial resources to get the kind of package I would have preferred. I believed that this would be adequate for our traffic and the thought of a crash wasn't a top priority. I am not a computer tech guy!

4. The only things I am upset with the current provider for are the fact that I asked them on Thursday of last week to save the failed hard drive when they told me that it was the problem for the server crashing. I was told that their policy was to hold onto failed drives for 7 days. I do feel let down that now they say they can't find it. I made the request to them to try to pull the data from that drive on Friday morning and paid $450 (which they will now refund). The other thing that I am unhappy about is that their main support line (a toll free number) appears to lead to another country, based on everyone who answers having a deep accent. They are not on the premises and I can't ever get an answer other than "we'll get back to you as soon as we can". If I call the dedicated support number (not toll free and obviously on the premises), I usually end up hanging up after 15 or so minutes while waiting to speak to a live person. IN MY OPINION, THE SERVICE PROVIDER IS NOT AT FAULT EXCEPT FOR THESE TWO SITUATIONS!

5. I have to admit that I was not going to put Alec's butt on the line for the backup issue, and wouldn't be writing this if Alec hadn't mentioned it on this thread. I see myself as the "CEO" of The Gear Page and feel that anything that goes wrong is ultimately my fault. Yes, I wish that a backup had been made, but I am not going to crucify or "out" a person who has donated so much time and effort to keeping TGP running. My apologies for not being more straight-forward on this part until now, but I wasn't going to say anything unless Alec said something.

6. Scott, Alec, and myself have all learned a lot over the past month. Unless we're really dense, lessons have been absorbed. We will now have several people, including LeonC and Gerald Cleveland (both have lots of IT experience) helping with the tech side of things. There will be multiple backups on different computers.

7. Scott and I have had some very good discussions about the rules on TGP and we both agree that there are too many rules. You can expect some changes once TGP is back up and running. We will do better, in my opinion, strongly enforcing a few rules than weakly enforcing many rules.

8. I did call our old web service provider a few hours ago to check into any possibility that there is a backup of our data somewhere. I was told that there was a chance that the data may still be available, either on the part of the server we had been using, or on a backup somewhere. I was told that they would call me (the company, Data393, is located not far from where I live) today. That may mean tomorrow in "tech talk". I'll keep my fingers crossed!

9. As a "just in case" I kept the old website for an extra week after TGP was up and running on the new site, and paid an extra $139 for the month of March. I told them about 2 weeks ago to delete the site because we had moved......thinking that we were now safe.

10. Last, but not least, please do not make any donations right now. My primary effort needs to be getting TGP back online, not doing accounting chores. There is plenty of time to donate later. By the way, I DO give an annual accounting of what we receive and what we spent after our donation drive each year in late August or early September. It is always made as an announcement and a "sticky" and is left up for several weeks so that our membership is aware of exactly how much was raised and what it was spent on. Nobody has EVER asked for the specs of the server before, so it never dawned on me that anyone would want to know.

Thanks for hanging in there folks. I'll update this as soon as I know more.

• Members

Originally posted by jonny guitar

So now it looks like they only lost 3 weeks of stuff because their old provider has a copy of all the data:thu:

Neat. You think they'll allow people to have Avatars this time?

Archived