Ouch!!! Gear Page hard drive failure!!!

Jaymeister

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Originally posted by utterhack

Holy crap! Per today's update, they lost EVERYTHING. The entire storehouse of communal knowledge is gone. Restarting from Post 0 on May 15.

Ouch! Bummer... sorry to hear this happened...

regards, Jack

• Members

There was some pretty priceless stuff on there for sure. Looks like it's up to us members to refill the reservoir. The poor mods have to be going crazy right now - the membership files alone were huge...

• Members

So long as TGP doesn't lose its endearingly barrel-aged flava (woody, with hints of cardigan?), that sounds promising.

The wool of those cardigans is from 3mo old lambs... :D

...But the loss of the good collective information is too bad...

(So much for aged backups...their server host screwed up, I'm surprised none of the original data was archived for safekeeping...good reminder to run your own personal backups!)

• Members

The way they describe it, I have visions of a Compaq Pentium 60 with a 40 Gb harddrive sitting in a warehouse somewhere. With what I believe to be the size of the database we are talking about, where is the RAID system? This couldn't have all resided on a single harddrive, could it?

• Members

Originally posted by paydirt

With what I believe to be the size of the database we are talking about, were is the RAID system?

So much gear knowledge, so little tech-savvy...

This wouldn't have happened with a handbuilt, PTP-wired RAID array.

• Members

a wealth of inflated opinions, misinformation and mythology... boo hoooo!

I think the server can only handle so much bull{censored} and it crashed.

Originally posted by Deaj

Man, that is a shame. Cork-sniffery and behavior-police issues aside there was a wealth of information and experience recorded at TGP.

• Members
Originally posted by TaZMaNiO

Yeppers...sounds like a LOT of people are gonna get their arses handed to them
;)

Of course Scott Peterson still has his TGP "donated" $$$ toys
:freak:

Hadn't thought about that impact (my two deals completed before the melt down). But if you paid by paypal you would have some record of the transaction...I guess you should also have some sort of email trace along with PMs for these types of net deals...

• Members

Originally posted by jonny guitar

I sure hope too many people don't get screwed by oppurtunist thiefs who will take advantage of their deals in progress...if only pm was used there are potentially no records of deals that are going down.

Dammit, I had a deal in the works too...

Still need a 2x12 Avatar...

• Members

Originally posted by dbx

I guess you should also have some sort of email trace along with PMs for these types of net deals...

I always used PM (though I got personal data including phone numbers for most deals) however I will always switch to email to complete deals in the future.

• Members

Originally posted by RoboPimp

a wealth of inflated opinions, misinformation and mythology... boo hoooo!

I think the server can only handle so much bull{censored} and it crashed.

Don't hold it in like that - tell us how do you really feel?

• Members
This wouldn't have happened with a handbuilt, PTP-wired RAID array.

+1 - that's fargin hilarious!!

Explaining how RAID-5 works

RAID-5 protects the data for a number of disks using a single disk that is the same size as the smallest disk in the array. For example, a Web server uses five disks in an application, and failure of one disk must not cause server downtime. Assuming that each disk is 72 GB, the total usable capacity for a five-disk RAID-5 array would be 288 GB. The usable capacity of a RAID-5 array equals s(n - 1), where s is the capacity of the smallest disk in the array and n is the total number of disks in the array.

In the preceding example, a single 72 GB disk can protect all the data in the 288 GB array should one of the other disks fail. As another example, in a 15-disk array of 72 GB disks, a single 72 GB disk can protect the entire 1008 GB array.

RAID-5 provides an efficient way to protect data and achieves read performance similar to RAID-0. Meanwhile, write performance of the RAID-5 array is nearly as fast as a single disk. Because it protects data and boosts performance, RAID-5 is becoming popular for general-purpose servers such as file and Web servers.

ps2q03-luse1.jpg

:idea::thu:

• Members
Originally posted by marfue179

a shame , their "post you pedalboard" thread was a classic
:wave:

mine was on page 100 !!!!! and all the waiting time.. for nothing... :sad:

well .. it's a shame all their work is "futsch"! were lots of information over there!!!

• Members
Originally posted by marfue179

a shame , their "post you pedalboard" thread was a classic
:wave:

+1. I lost many hours going through that thread.

I enjoyed TGP, but found the last several months without a proper search button (edit: search fuctionality ;)) to be getting tedious. It was like seeing re-runs everytime I tuned in.

For those that never went there, here were a few highlights:

-Some folks spent more time writing about John Mayer and Robben Ford than listening to them... (I hope ;))

-people that buy from small-company luthiers tend to support them online and will defend them to the death.... (Suhr, Chapin, Lentz, etc.) "1..2..3..4.. let's have a Lentz war"

-Paul C. and Clay J. made some cool od pedals that people are now paying too much for on ebay, this pissed some members off, but didn't seem to matter as much to the builders, (they finished their jobs when the pedals left their workshops).

-a lot of folks want to know when their xxxxxxx pedal will be done and then are happy to dance and sing to the others when theirs arrives followed by a trip to the emporium the next week. I call it pedal Schadenfreude.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfreude

-Some guy named TAG really like Bruno amps.

-some GP'ers actually like cheap old amps, pedals, and guitars, (they got me gassin' for a Gretsch Corvette and an old Ampeg combo.)

After hearing about some petty b.s. in the past between some TGP'ers and some HC'ers it's cool to actually get on H.C. and see what ithis place is all about. There's a lot of good info here and more than a few good laughs. I dig it, but I'll still probably head back to TGP to check things out when it's running again. :p

The Gear Page mk.I r.i.p.

• Members
Originally posted by fatbackribs

For those that never went there, here were a few highlights:

-fatbackribs did some great pedal demo vids.

-Some folks spent more time writing about John Mayer and Robben Ford than listening to them... (I hope
;)
)

-people that buy from small-company luthiers tend to support them online and will defend them to the death.... (Suhr, Chapin, Lentz, etc.) "1..2..3..4.. let's have a Lentz war"

-Paul C. and Clay J. made some cool od pedals that people are now paying too much for on ebay, this pissed some members off, but didn't seem to matter as much to the builders, (they finished their jobs when the pedals left their workshops).

-a lot of folks want to know when their xxxxxxx pedal will be done and then are happy to dance and sing to the others when theirs arrives followed by a trip to the emporium the next week. I call it pedal Schadenfreude.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfreude

-Some guy named TAG really like Bruno amps.

-some GP'ers actually like cheap old amps, pedals, and guitars, (they got me gassin' for a Gretsch Corvette and an old Ampeg combo.)

You forgot something in the highlights. :wave:

• Members

I wonder if paul feels like he is on spring break now? :D

• Members

I enjoyed TGP, but found the last several months without a proper search button to be getting tedious. It was like seeing re-runs everytime I tuned in.

Search worked fine once you logged in....wasn't even on the screen until login.

Archived