Ouch!!! Gear Page hard drive failure!!!

Jaymeister

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"The Gear Page apologises for any inconvenience and will be up again shortly as we have now isolated the problem with the hard drive. Apparently some 40 year old scotch leaked onto the hard drive rendering it unreadable. Traces of cuban cigar ash was also detected, but that appears not to have caused a problem. Please check back regularly as we expect the site to be online by the end of business, or after the smoke clears."

• Members

Originally posted by threm

What would you do if the Gearpage AND Harmony was down for a week or two?

i havent been to the gear page in at least a year, probbaly two. one of te mods HATED me so bad, he just hared everything i said, like a retard who wouldnt know sarcasm if it slapped his pretty liddle face, he took everything i said as a personal insult. i think he hangs here,,,, hmmmmmmm anyway i hang in other places anyway so i wouldn give a crap if both were down.

• Moderators

Originally posted by 48729zjd

Woops. That really sucks if you were tied up in deals on the Gear Emporium...
:freak:

Like me. I sent off payment for a freakin' POG on Tuesday, and the seller was going to PM me the tracking number when it shipped. Totally spoils the fun of the mounting excitement as it gets closer and closer. :^/ I guess I could just think of it as the "surprise" expensive-ass pedal, though, which might be almost as good.

• Members

Originally posted by skatan

one of te mods HATED me so bad, he just hared everything i said, like a retard who wouldnt know sarcasm if it slapped his pretty liddle face

Umm, yes. Can't understand why that would've happened....

• Members

Originally posted by jonny guitar

all their mods must of been on line at the same time thus crashing the system due to volume
:p

That's what I figure too. 100 people were banned at the same time, and well the system couldn't handle it.

• Members

Originally posted by The Eristic

Like me. I sent off payment for a freakin' POG on Tuesday, and the seller was going to PM me the tracking number when it shipped. Totally spoils the fun of the mounting excitement as it gets closer and closer. :^/ I guess I could just think of it as the "surprise" expensive-ass pedal, though, which might be almost as good.

Hopefully he shipped it/wrote down your tracking number before it went down.. :eek:

I'm lucky, I finshed a deal the day before!

• Members

So everything is gone!!! History...complete loss...

**UPDATE**

TGP: Story of Disaster and now, Part II, by Brian Scherzer:

We have had a major disaster. I just hung up from talking to the folks at our webs service provider. Flat out, ALL of the data is gone....zilch, zero! I had been trying to get a live person for a couple of days and finally got a tech, who told me that all data was lost. The backup is nowhere to be found....and they somehow "lost" the original hard drive, which we could have sent to a service to have the data extracted.

We are extremely bummed, but there is nothing we can do about this now. To say it mildly, I am not happy with the new service provider we have, but we have learned a lesson.......trust no provider and make sure that we have backups on our own computers rather than just relying on the service provider to keep us safe from this kind of crash and burn.

To cut to the chase, this means that we have to start over from ground zero. It is now planned that we will re-open TGP on May 15th (maybe sooner). Alec has to do a fresh install of the vbulletin software and then do the many tweaks that had been done before. He will also add the newest version of MySQL so that the search function works like it is supposed to. Everyone will have to register again, but the "good news", if there is ANY good news here, is that people can have the same arguments they had in the past. There will also be a revision to our recent rules.....far less rules. I'm too bummed out at the moment to write more. I'll add to this tonight when I get home from work.

• Members

Originally posted by Jaymeister

So everything is gone!!! History...complete loss...

**UPDATE**

TGP: Story of Disaster and now, Part II, by Brian Scherzer:

We have had a major disaster. I just hung up from talking to the folks at our webs service provider. Flat out, ALL of the data is gone....zilch, zero! I had been trying to get a live person for a couple of days and finally got a tech, who told me that all data was lost. The backup is nowhere to be found....and they somehow "lost" the original hard drive, which we could have sent to a service to have the data extracted.

We are extremely bummed, but there is nothing we can do about this now. To say it mildly, I am not happy with the new service provider we have, but we have learned a lesson.......trust no provider and make sure that we have backups on our own computers rather than just relying on the service provider to keep us safe from this kind of crash and burn.

To cut to the chase, this means that we have to start over from ground zero. It is now planned that we will re-open TGP on May 15th (maybe sooner). Alec has to do a fresh install of the vbulletin software and then do the many tweaks that had been done before. He will also add the newest version of MySQL so that the search function works like it is supposed to. Everyone will have to register again, but the "good news", if there is ANY good news here, is that people can have the same arguments they had in the past. There will also be a revision to our recent rules.....far less rules. I'm too bummed out at the moment to write more. I'll add to this tonight when I get home from work.

:eek: thats is awful!

but maybe the new rule change will result in a more casual TGP

• Members

Holy crap! Per today's update, they lost EVERYTHING. The entire storehouse of communal knowledge is gone. Restarting from Post 0 on May 15.

It's going to be really interesting to see how the crusty old-timers handle their new post counts, but mostly, I feel for the admins. They might have been a little fussy sometimes, but they put in a lot of heart and soul. To see it all swept away...

Originally posted by jonny guitar

all their mods must of been on line at the same time thus crashing the system due to volume
:p

From Brian's most recent update: "There will also be a revision to our recent rules.....far less rules."

So long as TGP doesn't lose its endearingly barrel-aged flava (woody, with hints of cardigan?), that sounds promising.

• Members

Originally posted by Jaymeister

Last time I checked in there, there were only about 75 people online.

{censored} man, I can barely even get to the front page to see how many users are online, cause it is so slow now!

• Members

Maybe they'll tweak that new Emporium rule they had.I liked being able to post on other peoples spam threads,or be the first to post "I'll take it". Sure ther are some flame thowers that came in,but usually the price the seller asked for called for it. The new rule was like a smoke free bar,and I'm sure less people bought from there after the rule change.

Just my .02

Archived