Quick question for the Americans...

dot-dot-dot

• Members

My apologies that the question sounds patronising; I can think of no other way to phrase it.

Would you kindly tell me what currency the symbol below suggests to you, as I am having a dispute with one of your fellow country-women. I am trying to establish whether or not it is familiar to most Americans.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Indeed it does, sstim8or.

I do not know why it looks like an "L" either, though the French for pounds sterling is "Livres".

The dispute is that they claim it means "dollars" and are stiffing me on a refund by saying I asked for a $37.50 refund, when in fact I asked for a

• Members
Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

My apologies that the question sounds patronising; I can think of no other way to phrase it.

Would you kindly tell me what currency the symbol below suggests to you, as I am having a dispute with one of your fellow country-women. I am trying to establish whether or not it is familiar to most Americans.

• Members

Indeed it does, sstim8or.

I do not know why it looks like an "L" either, though the French for pounds sterling is "Livres".

The dispute is that they claim it means "dollars" and are stiffing me on a refund by saying I asked for a $37.50 refund, when in fact I asked for a

• Members

• Members

Even if they didn't know what it was they should have asked somebody else. I'd bitch at them until you get your money.

Unless you are dealing with an individual and not a company. Then I would just keep bugging them until they pony up.

• Members

Originally posted by ArrMatey

how can you mistake both? One has a vertical bar, the other one has a horizontal one.

Yeah, there's a big difference (to anyone with a first-grade education) between a cursive L with a horizontal line and a capitol S with a vertical line.

She's a dumbass.

• Members

That's a pound. I did read through the thread, but I did know that. When I opened it and read the first post, I figured this was a trick question to see if we could tell the difference between a pound and an euro, but it's definitely not an american dollar. The american dollar looks like an "S" whereas the english pound looks like an "L." I could see people not knowing what one was, but I'm not sure how you could confuse the two.

• Members

Originally posted by puddinstone

if in very small print and looked at very quickly then I could understand the mistake but....she made the mistake...not you, right?

Absolutely.

Basically I bought some components from a US supplier. They inadvertently sent me the wrong ones - an easy enough mistake, and one I am not greatly bothered by. They were great about sending replacements, and I returned the wrong parts. The problem was that I got charged import duty on both (the aforementioned

• Members

I have known that as british pounds since child hood.

To me it always looked like a really gay "E" than an L, but im just a dumb american. I'll be over here dragging my knuckles if ya need me...

j/k :D

One other piece of trivia for ya dotX3. you know our keyboards here in the states have no "pound" symbol on them. Amazingly when i was in mexico they did.... and my old commodore 64 did too... how global of them.

At one time i figured out you could press alt+78185635773, then stand on your head while chewing water mellon buble gum, and it would appear on the screen, but i dont seem to have any gum left.

• Members

without doubt, anyone who mistakes a pound sign for a dollar sign is a grade a idiot.

however, my preference is to make transactions in the vendor's home currency and when dealing with americans to always make the transaction in USD, regardless of who is the vendor.

it would be nice if we lived in a world where everyone was cosmopolitan, well-travelled and familar with different currencies and so on. sadly we don't.

Archived