What happened to Kim aka Jeez?

John B NYC

• Members

Originally posted by asynchro_nous

MOSSad?

Ha! :D

MI product managers don't spend all day on forums, but they're certainly aware of any notable rants on the bigger sites. The reason they don't normally show up is that:

A) People will bombard them with questions, ludicrous feature requests, personal threats...

B) Those who show up and defend anything are labeled as apologists, or worse, marketing whore spin-doctors.

C) What difference would it make? Really?

• Members

Hey Audacity! Been a while since I've seen you around here! What up, man? You still in LA? Ever make things work with that lovely Asian girl? ;)

As for Kim? He was a pretty cool dude who was pretty knowledgable. Granted, I didn't always like what he did, but at least he was doing it. Which is more than many can say, myself included.

Frankly I've hit something of a writing block when it comes to my personal writing, but I'm doing still doing stuff for hire.

• Members

Originally posted by The Audacity Works

C) What difference would it make?
Really
?

True.

Like the idea for the VC-3 card for the V-Synth that you could load third party OS software onto (like the VS8F-3 for the VS-2480).......

Fantastic idea, already has a precedent in other Roland products, will never see the light of day.....

:(

• Members

Originally posted by asynchro_nous

Like the idea for the VC-3 card for the V-Synth that you could load third party OS software onto (like the VS8F-3 for the VS-2480).......

Fantastic idea, already has a precedent in other Roland products, will never see the light of day...

The trick is to not come up with an idea for a product that you want, but one that everybody else and their mom would want. If everybody who bought a VS-1680, 1880, 1824, 2000, 2400, or 2480 bought four VS8F-3 cards with four plugins a piece... Hell yeah, we'd see third party everything everywhere.

Unfortunately, any honest, provocative ideas tend to be viewed with at best, suspicion and at worst, contempt, as everyone's worried about the bottom line... and not stepping on the toes of those above them.

I wonder how the first guy to think up the iPod (or whatever preceded it) got his idea across? Or the distortion pedal?

• Members

The trick is to not come up with an idea for a product that
you
want, but one that everybody else and their mom would want.

"I'm tired of exactly syncing the tapes to get this metallic effect. Hey you there! Invent me a box that does this for me! Let's call it a flanger!"

That kind of power has disappeared; most musicians only can get a ball rolling in terms of controllers, not synths or audio. Unless of course they build their own ensembles. Rapid prototyping just changed from a hack soldering job to messing around with Reaktor.

• Members

I wonder how the first guy to think up the iPod (or whatever preceded it) got his idea across?

The grandfather of the i-pod was the sony walkman.

Sony had made a "pressman" portable cassette recorder aimed at the press corps. (A huge market I am sure.)

When the Sony tape recorder division tried to make portable music playback a reality they always ran up against the twofold problem. 1) large power supply for speakers 2) small speakers sound lousy

The headphones with their tiny power requirements changed all that. The irony is that the tape recorder division didn't want to do that. The headphone division didn't talk to the tape roecrder division and vice versa. Akio Morita got involved, and several senior team members (I'll spare you a blow by blow) helped shepherd the Walkman (crossfunctional) team.

The answer to your question is. Nobody conceived the IPod or the walkman (or the portable AM/FM radio, it's father) in one move. Baby steps, lotsa helpers.

Best,

Jerry

• Members

Originally posted by Tusks

The grandfather of the i-pod was the sony walkman.

Sony had made a "pressman" portable cassette recorder aimed at the press corps. (A huge market I am sure.)

When the Sony tape recorder division tried to make portable music playback a reality they always ran up against the twofold problem. 1) large power supply for speakers 2) small speakers sound lousy

The headphones with their tiny power requirements changed all that. The irony is that the tape recorder division didn't want to do that. The headphone division didn't talk to the tape roecrder division and vice versa. Akio Morita got involved, and several senior team members (I'll spare you a blow by blow) helped shepherd the Walkman (crossfunctional) team.

The answer to your question is. Nobody conceived the IPod or the walkman (or the portable AM/FM radio, it's father) in one move. Baby steps, lotsa helpers.

Best,

Jerry

That's interesting. Thanks for posting!

-G

• Members

Does anybody here remember (Sir Garrote, Audacity?) that period of time (2001-2002?) that Kim refused to divulge his gender?

Like it was a big fuggin secret if he was a boy or a girl....who gives a flyin frip?

I tend to agree with Sir Garrote on this one....I found Kim's personality to be self-indulgent and overly narcissistic for an internet forum.

More power to anyone who reached enlightenment on the composition thread...but c'mon....academics and application are two different things....and presenting oneself as an authority on something is fine if you have the chops and/or experience to back it up.....

Ok, Kim was always cordial / friendly in his interaction with me...so I will do his forum spectre the honor of not sliding any further with my rant.....

Archived