The Beatles - Very Impossible to Improve On

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by sub rosa

Let me be the first to tell you I have different taste. I know the Beatles did a lot for music...I just don't like them very much.

Am I an Elvis or a Beatles man? Elvis all the way!

:)
:wave:

Don't forget the Monkee's :thu:

• Members

what a pitiful thread! the beatles were the most
creative band that has ever been. if you don't
agree, shove your opinion where the sun don't
shine, and re learn music, if you ever knew it!
the beatles transcend opinion!:mad:

a day in the life, elanor rigby, nowhere man!
c'mon! and your bird can sing,awesome vocals
harmonies were stellar! that boy, yes it is, because! of ferget it!:rolleyes:

• Members

As far as modern music is concerned...........

There's The Beatles and then there is everything that came after The Beatles.

Songwriting, production, engineering, performing, innovation, quantity of quality music(all of it in about 7 years)..... every aspect of modern music is a reflection of the Beatles. Elvis????? What songs did he write? Elvis was a pop star and a pawn with a good voice and good looks. This is only my opinion.

• Members

It does not bother me if you do not care for the Beatles. It tends to be a generational thing. Time seems to be the linchpin in this and other topics.

I'll take enjoying the Beatles, Stones and others on a transister radio in the sixties on a school bus and on a black and white TV.

We love what we know.....or knew. ;)

• Members
Originally posted by DaSkip

It does not bother me if you do not care for the Beatles. It tends to be a generational thing. Time seems to be the linchpin in this and other topics.

I'll take enjoying the Beatles, Stones and others on a transister radio in the sixties on a school bus and on a black and white TV.

We love what we know.....or knew.
;)

I'm 22 and I LOVE the Beatles. So does my Best Friend who is 21.

Sure, you can not like the Beatles. It's not a crime (should be). But you CAN NOT honestly believe they were unable to write good songs and great singers without being dead wrong.

John said it well.... we're "The" Beatles for a reason.

Please watch this clip if you don't like them (or if you do). http://youtube.com/watch?v=r-3nfxJ40bA&search=The%20Beatles%20Baby%27s%20in%20Black

FUN! :)

• Members

I can respect why so many people like them...but if I could only listen to one band for the rest of my life, The Beatles wouldn't be in contention. The Beatles made well-written pop music that imho unfortunately lacked a lot of the raw emotion displayed by their influences (and by many of their contemporaries as well).

• Members

There won't be another Beatles until there is a totally new genre of music of important as rock. Rock music, even though it evolved from other forms music, is the epitome of music.

• Members

Originally posted by papa taco

I don't get people that don't like the Beatles. I find it moronic. It's something I'd expect to read from some of the knuckleheads in the amp forum, but here? Strange.

:confused:

no {censored}! he is just a genetic defect, he is not playing a fully folded taco flap!:mad:

:freak:

• Members

It has already come. We call it Pink Floyd.

Right, so you've just gone from being opinionated to being idiotic. Roger Waters wrote some of the best lyrics ever to grace rock 'n roll-- which only justifies my point about the Beatles' music. People don't put "On the Run" on repeat, but "Money"? Certainly. Do GUITARISTS dig the extended jams on WYWH? Sure. But guitarists also dig Joe Satriani albums. There's a reason that DSOTM, composed entirely of 4 to 6 minute pop songs with lyrics about human suffering, outsells all of their other efforts. Jebus.

As for "drugs and the blues," The Beatles did plenty of both, so I guess I don't see your point. Other things the Beatles did first include using backwards tape loops (see "Rain") and recording feedback. They also brought the influence of LSD to rock before just about anyone-- certainly to Top 40 pop. If you can point out one song recorded before "Rain" or "She Said, She Said" (which is specifically about John tripping at a party) that got mainstream attention, then by all means, do so.

• Members
Originally posted by endo23

Right, so you've just gone from being opinionated to being idiotic. Roger Waters wrote some of the best lyrics ever to grace rock 'n roll-- which only justifies my point about the Beatles' music. People don't put "On the Run" on repeat, but "Money"? Certainly. Do GUITARISTS dig the extended jams on WYWH? Sure. But guitarists also dig Joe Satriani albums. There's a reason that DSOTM, composed entirely of 4 to 6 minute pop songs with lyrics about human suffering, outsells all of their other efforts. Jebus.

As for "drugs and the blues," The Beatles did plenty of both, so I guess I don't see your point. Other things the Beatles did first include using backwards tape loops (see "Rain") and recording feedback. They also brought the influence of LSD to rock before just about anyone-- certainly to Top 40 pop. If you can point out one song recorded before "Rain" or "She Said, She Said" (which is specifically about John tripping at a party) that got mainstream attention, then by all means, do so.

:freak:

• Members

Erm, maybe "idiotic" was a bit harsh... I guess I just meant "ignorant." It's fine to not like the Beatles (your loss), but to dismiss their influence reveals a major lack of knowledge re: pop music.

• Members
Originally posted by Mojambo

I can respect why so many people like them...but if I could only listen to one band for the rest of my life, The Beatles wouldn't be in contention. The Beatles made well-written pop music that imho unfortunately lacked a lot of the raw emotion displayed by their influences (and by many of their contemporaries as well).

+ 1, raw... power ? :wave::love:

• Members
Originally posted by endo23

Right, so you've just gone from being opinionated to being idiotic. Roger Waters wrote some of the best lyrics ever to grace rock 'n roll-- which only justifies my point about the Beatles' music.

Calm down you {censored}ing spazzoid. I personally love pink floyd. They never had any weird sounds in their albums? Too many to even name. Your specific comment talked about weird bleeps and whale noises. What about the song Echoes? Sure, it literally doesn't contain whale noises, but David Gilmour making his guitar sound like a seagull is pretty god-damn close, especially for a song that starts with a bunch of {censored}ing pings. :rolleyes:

People don't put "On the Run" on repeat, but "Money"? Certainly. Do GUITARISTS dig the extended jams on WYWH? Sure. But guitarists also dig Joe Satriani albums. There's a reason that DSOTM, composed entirely of 4 to 6 minute pop songs with lyrics about human suffering, outsells all of their other efforts. Jebus.

Actually, I quite enjoy the song on the run. Money isn't my favorite, and there is no way in hell I could stand to listen to it over and over. It's one of those songs that grates on me because of the numerous times I've heard it. Now, time, on the otherhand.

While the extended jams on WYWH are very nice, that's not the only reason why it's such a great album. Many more people then just guitarists love that album. It has a melancholy but no overly depressing theme to it that both Animals and The Wall don't have. Those latter two albums are {censored}ing depressing. Animals is definitely a guitarist's album and one for fans. And while there are numerous things that made DSOTM great, the pop elements of the music is only one of them. The album "filler" is great, and the extras around the pop elements make up for its normalcy.

Joe Satriani is a good guitarist, but he doesn't really have one particular song that I really enjoy. Jeff Beck is extremely overlooked, yet especially with the Yardbirds, he recorded some {censored}ing awesome music. Ever heard Roger the Engineer? Great {censored}ing album that most people have glossed over.

As for "drugs and the blues," The Beatles did plenty of both, so I guess I don't see your point.

The point was about influence. I have never negated that they had an impact on music. However, they have not seeded into every facet of music that has come after them like some have stated.

Other things the Beatles did first include using backwards tape loops (see "Rain") and recording feedback. They also brought the influence of LSD to rock before just about anyone-- certainly to Top 40 pop. If you can point out one song recorded before "Rain" or "She Said, She Said" (which is specifically about John tripping at a party) that got mainstream attention, then by all means, do so.

Here's the thing {censored}o, you know jack{censored} about music. :wave:

You seemed to have overlooked this gem:

13th_Floor_Elevators-The_Psychedelic_Sou

The Psychedellic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators. And they charted You're Gonna Miss Me. Early psychedellic that was around before either of those tunes by the Beatles came out.

And you forgot this epic:

200px-Freak_Out!.jpg

The Mothers Freak Out! may not have been as popular as anything the Beatles put out, but it came out first, and what a {censored}ing debut. No yers of {censored}ty 3 minute pop songs, just evil doo-wop and outrageous psychedellic music.

And there are countless people who used feedback and drugs before the Beatles. You ever heard of the Monks? Probably not, yet I've heard they were reported as having "discovered" feedback, which is probably bull{censored} because how exactly do you discover feedback? That's like discovering the new world, but many of the other greats used it as well.

Where these bands popular? {censored}, no. But there seems to be some evidence here that the Beatles did, indeed, not do everything first. Of course, you probably won't change, but just because something's popular doesn't really mean anything. Everything has roots.

Archived