Analog Envelope Filter Pedals with Multiple Modes.

ck3

• Members

I am currently in search of an analog envelope filter pedal. The ideal option would have multiple modes, which would include notch filtering. I am vaguely familiar with the Electro~Harmonix Tube Zipper and have noticed that Subdecay and Antelope FX may be releasing something along these lines soon, but am not aware of any other options. Please enlighten me. :)

• Members
Originally posted by BmoreTele

Studio Electronics ModMax Filter, I think.

most of the others I can think of are rack units.

http://filters.muziq.be/type/filter/notch

I forgot to metion that I once owned a Modmax Filter and did not have a positive experience with it. This unit offered me plenty of great features, but it oscillated too easily with the settings that I preferred, had an excessive output level with its overdrive setting, popped loudly when bypassed/engaged, and triggered unpredictably with a clean guitar signal. :freak:

I am familiar with the website that you posted and gave it a gander last night. :)

• Members
Originally posted by PFDarkside

I'm waiting on the Subdecay before I move forward (unless I succumb to the Moog)

Have you seen the Antelope FX equivalent of this filter? Brian may have some stiff competition from the other Brian. ;)

• Members
Originally posted by ck3

Have you seen the Antelope FX equivalent of this filter? Brian may have some stiff competition from the other Brian.
;)

No I haven't... linky?

What the hell, I don't even play stuff that I need an envelope filter for, but the Subdecay clip just did something for me. Are there any good filters like that with expression pedal inputs?

• Members
Originally posted by ck3

Have you seen the Antelope FX equivalent of this filter? Brian may have some stiff competition from the other Brian.
;)

I think they are different enough.

I am starting to work on the circuit board as we speak, and i think it will fit in a the smaller package. I have whittled it down to 9 knobs, and i came up with a way to blend modes.

I have experimented with a notch mode, but not 100% sure it will be on the production version, although a simple mod with some off board wiring would fix it.

My new house has kind of kept me from getting this thing done, but the last 3 weeks i have been working on it quite a bit.

I actually experimented with getting rid of the vactrols, because they are causing an ROHS issue, but none of the solutions sounded as good, so im back where i started. I will simply wait for an exemption for the vactrols, or just not sell them in europe.

And it also looks like it may be a little less expensive than i thought to produce... So that should translate in to a lower retail price than i thought.

Brian

• Members

I always have to pop into these threads and say that the CHUNK SYSTEMS Agent 00Funk Mark II, despite its unwieldy name, is the best-sounding envelope filter I've ever played through... it doesn't have a notched filter mode or a bunch of different options other than your standard "Down/Up" switch, but again, the tone is killer.

(I have owned a Mutron III, Meatball and EMMA Discombobuator in the past-- none of them were as easy to use and as satisfying as the Chunk.)

That said, I'm VERY psyched about the Subdecay filter, as it sounds like it has some pretty wild options-- so, depends on what you're looking for.

• Members

No I haven't... linky?

What the hell, I don't even play stuff that I need an envelope filter for, but the Subdecay clip just did something for me. Are there any good filters like that with expression pedal inputs?

Scroll down a bit for pics:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1116051&perpage=20&highlight=pedal%20news&pagenumber=3

:cool:

• Members
Originally posted by Brian Marshall

I think they are different enough.

I am starting to work on the circuit board as we speak, and i think it will fit in a the smaller package. I have whittled it down to 9 knobs, and i came up with a way to blend modes.

I have experimented with a notch mode, but not 100% sure it will be on the production version, although a simple mod with some off board wiring would fix it.

My new house has kind of kept me from getting this thing done, but the last 3 weeks i have been working on it quite a bit.

I actually experimented with getting rid of the vactrols, because they are causing an ROHS issue, but none of the solutions sounded as good, so im back where i started. I will simply wait for an exemption for the vactrols, or just not sell them in europe.

And it also looks like it may be a little less expensive than i thought to produce... So that should translate in to a lower retail price than i thought.

Brian

Good to hear that about the price. I just did another visual comparison of your filters and it would appear that the Subdecay unit is much more feature-laden.

I was trying to find the thread with some preliminary Subdecay Filter pics in order to bump it, but the darn thing seems to have mysteriously disappeared in the last hour. :freak:

• Members
Originally posted by fusionid

how about EL Cheapo

239088.jpg

I dont own it but have been looking at them lately

I had an XSW for a while. It was a decent sounding pedal (albiet digital) and was perfect for feedback loop applications. However, it sometimes created volume drops and required its own power supply (to prevent ground loop noise issues).

• Members

Originally posted by ck3

I had an XSW for a while. It was a decent sounding pedal (albiet digital) and was perfect for feedback loop applications. However, it sometimes created volume drops and required its own power supply (to prevent ground loop noise issues).

Can you expand on the feedback loop use? I've got an E13 Truely Beautiful Disaster that I hardly use... Only an Ibanez Tone-Lok Chorus/Flange from time to time.

• Members
Originally posted by ck3

Good to hear that about the price. I just did another visual comparison of your filters and it would appear that the Subdecay unit is much more feature-laden.

I was trying to find the thread with some preliminary Subdecay Filter pics in order to bump it, but the darn thing seems to have mysteriously disappeared in the last hour.
:freak:

http://www.subdecay.com/proto.htm

its the first link up at the top... it is going to look much different than that however.

• Members

Can you expand on the feedback loop use? I've got an E13 Truely Beautiful Disaster that I hardly use... Only an Ibanez Tone-Lok Chorus/Flange from time to time.

Each mode had different results. There were some that merely erupted into various uncontrollable squeals once their evelope shift was triggered. A few of them would oscillate like old school synths and produce random vowel sounds.

Archived