Who hear uses a compressor?

porsch8

• Members

Keeley is on almost all the time. Light compression doesn't squash nothing. Slight boost. It is very quiet. It can smooth out a gritty overdrive if you use it after the OD if you desire.

Besides smoothing out the volume some, it seems to even out (broaden or flatten?) the sound/tone across the frequency spectrum. Bringing out (or up) the high frequencies some (adding sparkle) and even the low end a bit.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by stangme01

So what does the cs-3 kit do? And which one would you guys recommend?

Thanks.

I just modded my CS-3 last night with Monte Allum's Opto Mod, and I'll try it today. I'm going to A/B it with my buddy's unmodified CS-3, in order to compare the differences.

I'll post the results here tonight or tomorrow.

• Members

Originally posted by MonkeyKnifeFighter

I use my Keeley Comp for everything from playing guitar to picking up women.

~MkF!

"Freshhhhh!"

i remember posting the story here of how a cafe waitress chatted me up when I got my keeley. it was funny stuff.

oh yeah, i use a comp quite often, especially on rythmn parts.

• Members
Originally posted by analogmike

Those green caps in the tone press are fine sounding.

meh, subjective. Not the most quiet either.

the Keeley uses the red panasonics as used in our comprossor, those are fine sounding too and a little more expensive.

compbd2.jpg

Now THERE is some nice parts on that board.

I think the extra cost is worth it IMHO.

• Members
Originally posted by Daeveed

I just modded my CS-3 last night with Monte Allum's Opto Mod, and I'll try it today. I'm going to A/B it with my buddy's unmodified CS-3, in order to compare the differences.

I'll post the results here tonight or tomorrow.

please come back and let us know, cause i'm thinking of ordering the kit from monte later today or tomorrow!
:idea:

• Members

Originally posted by Pigsinzen

meh, subjective. Not the most quiet either.

Now THERE is some nice parts on that board.

I think the extra cost is worth it IMHO.

The caps may be nice there, but there's a whole bunch of carbon film resistors, that will most likely add more noise than the green caps.

But I'm not interested in some EJ-level of tone-discussion.

The metalfilm caps I was referring to, are the WIMA caps MKS2, with 20% tolerance. The Panasonics have 10% I believe.

But if you can point out an affordable metalfilm cap with higher values than 0.1uF with 5% tolerance, I'm all for it!

• Members
Originally posted by papa taco

My Tone Press is damn quiet. I'm not sure what your issue is

No one pays attention. :cry:

I said I am sure it's fine. I said it could be BETTER, with better parts.

Perry Farrel. Why don't you stick Mr Navarro's "ebow" up your nose.

Huh?

• Members

You should use it for low gain/clean stuff, it makes no sense otherwise.

Originally posted by porsch8

What do you use it for??

I've tried two in the past and had found them to be pretty useless.

Unless you do chickinpickin or soemthing, it seems to be a waste

• Members

man i am LOVING having a compressor :D
I cannot wait to hear feedback on how it compares to the modded CS-3. Especially the way Monte describes his special mod as being so "inspiring" :) And I'm sure a guy like that wouldn't say something like that unless he had a product to back it up, considering his business is all by word of mouth not backed by big names or anything.

And are the mods really easy for someone who hasn't opened up a pedal before? I know how to solder, i have all the equipment to do it. But i'm just curious if i'll know where R3, or C3 etc. is going to be or is it printed on the circuit board?

• Members
Originally posted by Anakin

CS-3 is a mad noise machine!!!

I'm currently using the comp on my route 66 =)

I was thinking of getting the keeley one.

Heard its good.

is it really that hella good?

My CS-3 is not a "mad noise machine". Matter of fact, it's "hella good"...;)

• Members

i don't think it's that bad. the mix function on the tone press is what's drawing me. i could almost see using 2 compressors. one at the end of my pedal chain as a buffer/boost/to level out some of the volume changes, and another one to help with taps or looping or for a more extreme effect

• Members

Originally posted by tnttnttnt

You should use it for low gain/clean stuff, it makes no sense otherwise.

Sure it does. Esp if you want a tad more sustain without adding distortion.

Or if you want to even out the sound a bit.

• Members
Originally posted by Anakin

CS-3 is a mad noise machine!!!

Hmm a standard CS-3 really was never that noisy in my setup unless I had it on extreme settings.

But the noise comes from the cheap parts.

upgrade them.

Especially the way Monte describes his special mod as being so "inspiring"
:)

Oh it is compared to the originaL.

And are the mods really easy for someone who hasn't opened up a pedal before? I know how to solder, i have all the equipment to do it. But i'm just curious if i'll know where R3, or C3 etc. is going to be or is it printed on the circuit board?

When the kit gets there, you'll see just how easy it is.

I would show you the layout sheet Monte sends out, but he would probably not like that. :wave:

• Members

man i am LOVING having a compressor
:D
I cannot wait to hear feedback on how it compares to the modded CS-3. Especially the way Monte describes his special mod as being so "inspiring"
:)
And I'm sure a guy like that wouldn't say something like that unless he had a product to back it up, considering his business is all by word of mouth not backed by big names or anything.

OK, I tried my Monte modded compressor. (Opto Mod)

I A/B'd it with my buddy's unmodded one, and I have to say that the difference in sound jumps right out in your face when you hear it.
It just sounds like a better quallity pedal. Better attack, better sustain, less noise, better transparency....worth it every penny if you ask me.

Now to answer your second question.
After we A/B

• Members
Originally posted by Daeveed

OK, I tried my Monte modded compressor. (Opto Mod)

I A/B'd it with my buddy's unmodded one, and I have to say that the difference in sound jumps right out in your face when you hear it.

It just sounds like a better quallity pedal. Better attack, better sustain, less noise, better transparency....worth it every penny if you ask me.

Now to answer your second question.

After we A/B

Archived