Who hear uses a compressor?

porsch8

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Depends ... mostly I like it for solo parts to even out the volume spikes, adds a bit of sparkle to your tone depending on how you set your comp. I don't like too much squash which is why I bought the Barber a couple of years ago ... perfect comp for me because it's a parallel comp and you can blend with your dry signal and also acts as a 12db clean boost.

• Members

I have a T-rex compnova I use mostly on cleanish / slight OD parts when I'm playing more arpeggio type stuff witha lot of delay and chorus going on. I use it first in the chain (well after a wah) to get a nice level sound beofre the OD - delay - chorus.

If I playing balls our rock with no effects then I skip having any compression.

• Members

I just got the little Guyatone ST2 compressor and I am loving it.

I was wondering... does anybody run 2 compressors in their signal chain?

I was thinking about getting another ST2 and leaving it on all the time at a very subtle setting, and then having another for a more dramatic squash effect.
Are there any sideffects of having two compressors on at once?

• Members

Originally posted by whowasthursday

But specifically is there any problem with running one compressor for a subtle tightening up, and then switching on another on top of it for a healthy boost/squash? Does it sound anything other than what you might expect?

Excess noise? Other than that it should be fine.

• Members

Playing in a three piece, a comp keeps everything the same 'size' if you know what I mean.

Whether I'm stroking single notes, or hammering full chords, I occupy the same space and the volume is consistent.

It also makes every single effect I have sound better.

• Members

I use mine for several type of stuff

-country picken

-Wish you were here floyd type stuff with delay

-arpeggiated chords

-with healthy OD at lower volumes to give the amp a more pushed feel and dynamic

-with fuzz...yep fuzz. comp into fuzz can sound just freaking wild but your guitar volume knob is kinda taken out of the equation for clean ups and stuff. Sounds very hairy and good.

-light comp of acoustic

-for bass lines (with octave pedal)

a compressor is a wonderful thing. I had a crapass noisey one and hardly ever used it but my Keeley 3 knob gets lots of action.:wave:

• Members

i want to know if the dano compressor has enough effect? SOme of their pedals are WAY too mild like the chorus for example.
Is their compressor pedal mild?

I want to kinds of compressors, 1 for squash for that tube power amp compression feeling. And one for sustain and leveling (evening out).

• Members
Originally posted by jonny guitar

I use mine for several type of stuff

-country picken

-Wish you were here floyd type stuff with delay

-arpeggiated chords

-with healthy OD at lower volumes to give the amp a more pushed feel and dynamic

-with fuzz...yep fuzz. comp into fuzz can sound just freaking wild but your guitar volume knob is kinda taken out of the equation for clean ups and stuff. Sounds very hairy and good.

-light comp of acoustic

-for bass lines (with octave pedal)

a compressor is a wonderful thing. I had a crapass noisey one and hardly ever used it but my Keeley 3 knob gets lots of action.
:wave:

Here is someone that knows how to use a compressor! :D

Some people play with WAY too much gain, so a compressor is useless. Used correctly, compressor is so sweet with clean and OD tones.!!

Jack

• Members
Originally posted by Janglin_Jack

Here is someone that knows how to use a compressor!
:D

Some people play with WAY too much gain, so a compressor is useless. Used correctly, compressor is so sweet with clean and OD tones.!!

Jack

I agree that way you can get the sustain without all the mush. Without a ton of sustain palm muting riffs sound like ass.

I really hate the clicking you get on most compressors though :(

• Members

i rarely play without a compressor. too much compression sounds like a$$, but just a little is the effect you need. i dont want to COMPLETELY lose all dynamics. i just want to limit the too loud notes and bring up the soft ones a little bit.

• Members

Man i just played through this big ass Electroharmonix compressor with 2 tubes in it. Something like a "black finger" or something. That thing sucked monkey balls. The Boss was way better but clicked too loud, i don't even really like the boss.

Does anyone know if the Barber Tone press is alot like the EH compressor? I sure hope not.

• Members
Originally posted by stangme01

Man i just played through this big ass Electroharmonix compressor with 2 tubes in it. Something like a "black finger" or something. That thing sucked monkey balls. The Boss was way better but clicked too loud, i don't even really like the boss.

Does anyone know if the Barber Tone press is alot like the EH compressor? I sure hope not.

Upgrade the boss.

BTW I looked at the insides of the Barber press comp and other than what it seems to be metal film resistors..., I am not too impressed with his choice of parts. Esp the "Radio Shack" capacitors. :wave:

BarberTPressIn.jpg

Would LOVE to see the inside of a Keeley.

Archived