Who hear uses a compressor?

porsch8

• Members

Originally posted by stangme01

What does the mods do for the Boss? I like what it does, but that click has to go

http://www.monteallums.com/Product_links.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/Boss-CS3-CS-3-Opto-Compressor-Sustainer-Mod-Kit-mp3s_W0QQitemZ7414910309QQcategoryZ64417QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Or get his ORIGINAL kit, that isn't as "warm" but it a TAD more transparent.

ALL high quality parts. Metal film caps, tantalums, etc.

Turns a regular CS-3 into a boutique sounding compressor.

Really ads sparkle.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hear here hear here... :rolleyes:

I use my Keeley compressor quite regularly. I don't use much compression, but I need a little to even out the notes and I use my to boost slightly then kick in the Java for serious full boosting!

:eek:

• Members

I struggled for a while trying to get "my sound". I tried a cheap "Arion" compressor, to no avail. Then I got the DOD Milkbox. It's around 50 bucks and sounds great for my purposes. It's always on, though I use it in a sublte way.

Can't comment on the Danelectro (never tried it), but the DOD got great reviews at Musicians Friend, so I bought it and I would have gladly paid more for the improvement in my sound. It's warm, smooth, and sweet, which I'm sure can be achieved with other compressors as well, but I'm not looking any further.

• Members

I keep my keeley comp on all of the time, with the sustain knob set very low at just above a quarter of the way up.

I've never been a fan of using sounds with too much gain, instead prefering cleaner lead sounds with a bit of overdrive occasionally. The compressor lets me do this and evens out all sorts of things in the signal. I wouldn't want to play without it!

• Members
Originally posted by Pigsinzen

Upgrade the boss.

BTW I looked at the insides of the Barber press comp and other than what it seems to be metal film resistors..., I am not too impressed with his choice of parts. Esp the "Radio Shack" capacitors.
:wave:

BarberTPressIn.jpg

Would LOVE to see the inside of a Keeley.

Doesn't seem that his choice of capacitors has hurt the product though, I love my Tone Press as does everybody else I know who has one. It may prove that you don't need better than Radio Shack to get a great sounding unit.

• Members
Originally posted by JeffreyC

Have you been to the website? Tons of info and a few pics there.

http://robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=8

The only "inside" pic I saw was

inside_keeley_comp.jpg

And that doesn't help me much. ;)

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

Doesn't seem that his choice of capacitors has hurt the product though, I love my Tone Press as does everybody else I know who has one. It may prove that you don't need better than Radio Shack to get a great sounding unit.

Usually ones pay for boutique effects EXPECTING to get high quality parts. Even Boss doesn't use as cheap caps as the green ones there.

That compressor may sound good now (So did my unmodded Boss) But it would sound MUCH BETTER, quieter and more transparent over all sound had the maker used quality parts.

I'd rather buy a used compressor for cheaper with the same generic caps, and upgrade it, and STILL save $100 then buy a "boutique" pedal with consumer electronics.

But hey, if you are happy with what you payed for, that is all that matters.

• Members

I've found most of the compressors like the boss just squash the sound, and are definitely not sustainers. WHen i used it with an overdrive pedal it seemed to take away the sustain and made the sound dead.

Hmm even the unmodded CS-3 offers tons of sustain..

And all compressors SQUASH the sound. That is what compressors do.

One only has to upgrade the parts to make it TRANSPARENT.

• Members

I use a Barber Tone Press in 1 of 2 different ways:

With my Mesa Blue Angel, I tend to leave it on all the time as a sweetener. Blend and Sustain each at noon. Volume at 2:30. Makes the tone a bit fatter and sustaining, cuts down on trebly spikey stuff slightly. Really sounds sweet with the Blue Angel's cleans and slightly dirty settings and also sounds really good after a ZVex Super Duper's red channel set for a bit of dirt.

Occassionally I'll use the Tone Press for heavy rubbery sustain (Blend almost maxed and Sustain at 2:00). Volume at 3. Nice for solos or atmosphere.

taco

• Members

Hmm even the unmodded CS-3 offers tons of sustain..

And all compressors SQUASH the sound. That is what compressors do.

One only has to upgrade the parts to make it TRANSPARENT.

I dunno maybe i was spoiled by the line 6 flextone HD compressor, thats the best compressor i've used by FAR. Maybe i have to use a digital compressor or something.

• Members

The only "inside" pic I saw was

inside_keeley_comp.jpg

And that doesn't help me much.
;)

Usually ones pay for boutique effects EXPECTING to get high quality parts. Even Boss doesn't use as cheap caps as the green ones there.

1) Yes, Boss did. My original FA-1 had the same green 'Radial Mylar' caps in there.

2) Those caps aren't bad at all. 10% tolerance, vs. 20% tolerance what most metalfilm caps have.

I now usually choose either MKT (10%), because of the good audio-qualities, or metalfilm (because the red WIMA caps look so darn good :D ).

• Members

Also, if you're gonna knock the Tone Press, please note that it costs $140 while the Keeley costs $220--

So you are paying a substantial bit less for "inferior" parts, though again-- the proof is in the tone and I've heard no complaints about the Tone Press.

Also, +1 for all the compressor uses noted above. I actually don't know how people play without one, unless they're just rawking at all times. I need a comp to keep levels even between clean, OD, fuzz, wah, etc. Just smooths out the whole bit...

• Members
Originally posted by bucket_brigadier

I just got an EMMA compressor, and it's fun to use at low volumes, but playing loud, I find it to be way too noisy. I suspect all compressors would do this.
:(

A compressor with quality parts is pretty darn quiet.

Originally posted by Speeddemon

1) Yes, Boss did. My original FA-1 had the same green 'Radial Mylar' caps in there.

They don't now. They use ALMOST as sucky parts now.

2) Those caps aren't bad at all. 10% tolerance, vs. 20% tolerance what most metalfilm caps have.

Um metal films are mostly 20%? Where did you get that? You can get them much much closer than that. I've seen them 5% and lower.

But it's not the tolerances that make it sound "sucky" but the material they are made of.

Metal film resistors are also more accurate. And quieter.

Originally posted by endo23

Also, if you're gonna knock the Tone Press, please note that it costs $140 while the Keeley costs $220--

Oh I agree, but I wasn't comparing the two. I was saying you could buy a used compressor and upgrade the parts for LESS and get just as good/better compressor for less.

I haven't seen inside a Keeley to make any parts comparison.

No one has posted any pics.

• Members

I've found most of the compressors like the boss just squash the sound, and are definitely not sustainers. WHen i used it with an overdrive pedal it seemed to take away the sustain and made the sound dead.

My Boss CS-3 does a great job of adding sustain. I use it mostly to add sustain and attack (picking dynamics) to my clean signal (though it also does a very good job on the dirty channel as well). Love it...:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by machine gunner

My Boss CS-3 does a great job of adding sustain. I use it mostly to add sustain and attack (picking dynamics) to my clean signal (though it also does a very good job on the dirty channel as well). Love it...
:thu:

you're totally right, i think the one i was playing with was messed up. I have a CS-3 now and it definitely adds lots of sustain.

I played with a MXR dya comp today and a
Boss CS-3. I lided the MXR a bit more for overall sound, i really like that compressor. But i also like the CS-3 for the wider range of adjustment (and can be set to far less compression too) and it was in like new condition for $40 out the door so i got the CS-3.

So what does the cs-3 kit do? And which one would you guys recommend?

Thanks.

Archived