vox ac15 volume

• Members

i recently picked up a lovely little vox ac15 tb 2 (the uk reissue with 2 x 10's). i haven't had much of a chance to give it a workout yet but have noticed that you have to turn it way up to get volume. with both volumes on about half way its still at bedroom volume - if i did that with my blues jr i'd hurt myself. it sounds great when i wind the dials up but just want to check that this is normal.

• Members

Yeah. I have one, and I turned up the master full about 2 years ago and haven't moved it since. :cool:

I don't think it's a bedroom amp, really, except for quiet chimey stuff maybe...it's a gigable amp.

• Members

Originally posted by Corso2

Yeah. I have one, and I turned up the master full about 2 years ago and haven't moved it since.
:cool:

I don't think it's a bedroom amp, really, except for quiet chimey stuff maybe...it's a gigable amp.

cool - thanks corso. i will walk over and turn master volume up and glue it into position : )

i will be taking this amp to play out - thats why i needed to figure out how to get the volume out of it. it didn't seem right to have master volume on full but i'll go with it.

• Members

With most vintage-style amps, maxing out the master volume effectively turns the amp into a non-master volume amp. The volume knob will now determine your overall volume and preamp and power amp overdrive. Tonally you should get the best results maxing the master and setting the other volume to taste.

taco

• Members

Originally posted by Kestral

I have my preamp volume at 80% and adjust master volume to taste. Master volume is usually at about 15% (very low) and the amp is nice and loud. But for gigging I'd have to crank it.

Way to work your el84's!!

:rolleyes:

:wave:

Hey, you should try an attenuator to get more out of your power section.

:idea:

Archived