What pedal can do this?

vangkm

• Members

Ok FX junkies, what effect can do this?:

I play in a 2 man band (drummer and me)...we want to play a song with a 2 guitar part. I need a pedal that can loop a 10-15 second riff smoothly over and over so that I may play the lead over it. I want to start out playing the rythm guitar, record it, loop it, then play the lead. I've looked into it a little and the BOSS recorder seems like it may work, but you never know...any ideas?

• Members

It'll take some work to get the hang of the timing, but just about any looper will be able to do that sort of thing.or grow 2 more arms and play both parts simultaneously. Or quit being so greedy and hire another guitar player. Much love!! :p

• Members

I just don't want there to be a weird pause in between where the riff ends and starts up again...any way to effectively eliminate this? Also can anyone attest to how hard/easy/relatively easy this can be done live?

• Members
Originally posted by mumford

It's expensive, but I love the lofi loop junky
plus every one is lovingly packaged in a veil of political intrigue and non-scantily clad women.

+eleven seriously, this is the best post ever. Sig'd!!!

• Members

Originally posted by vangkm

I just don't want there to be a weird pause in between where the riff ends and starts up again...any way to effectively eliminate this? Also can anyone attest to how hard/easy/relatively easy this can be done live?

that is all on you. The process of looping is easy to learn but difficult to master. You have to consider that where you end the loop is just as important as where you begin it and if you end the loop a fraction of a second early or late, three or four measures later youll be way out of time and it will become a mess. Consider the RC20xl, its what I use because it isnt super expensive, I love the features of the boomerang but its a bit big for me and too expensive.

• Members

Any decent looper will avoid the pause, but the trick is learning to keep your loops in time. As time passes, what seemed like a solid loop will get more and more off if you're not well rehearsed.

Sweet!

• Members

The line 6 DL4 also does exactly what you want.

Originally posted by vangkm

The way to avoid that is practice doing it. It isn't that hard to eliminate the seams.

Also, you should go to www.zvex.com and watch the video for the lo-fi loop junky. That pedal does only what you want. The DL4 and the DD20 do a bunch of other delay things.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

DL-4, RC-20, DD-20, Akai E1 or E2 and the Digitech will all do what you need. Just pick the one that has the best interface for you and go with it. They all have their little quirks. I'm using an E1, and for what I do its perfect. I love being able to overdub, and then erase the overdubs and start from scratch with the original loop. I think the DL-4 does that as well.

No need to shell out for the hardcore Boomerang or the new RC-50. If you only need 10-20 seconds and a simple rythm track any of the above mentioned will be more than enough.

• Members

Sorry , but I didn't understand the answer to my question, that was "Can the riffbox change the tempo ?"

Also what if during overdubbing let's say the third phrase you want to erase the first one and keep the second and the third? With Rc-20 for example ypo always listen to the first (saved) phrase and then you add phrases over it like a stack and you can only delete the first on the "top" of the stack. For me this is a great disadvantage

Archived