Unreal ebay auction. And it's legit.

• Members

thats amazing..

i love old reel tape. I bought a box and AMPEx reel to reel for 20$

Turns out inside the box was a recording of the 1974 pink floyd concert..not radio, not recordpre-recorded...id say copied from there.. and a LIVE elvis performance. However the elvis tape is so brittle..im afraid to screw with it

But thats sweet! Question though, any reel junkie will tell you, tape DIES by now. How is that still playing without the metal breaking off? Most of us had to "bake" our tapes by now

While it is true that a small amount of high frequency loss is happening with each and every pass over the heads on an analog tape, and some slight amount of oxide comes off with repeated playbacks (that's why you have to clean the heads ;) ), not all master tapes suffer from extensive "shedding" of oxide particles, and not all of them suffer from stiction or binding (glue) ooze either.

Actually most reel to reel analog tape, when properly stored (controlled temperature and humidity ranges, away from strong magnetic fields, etc) tend to do quite well - certainly much better than early digital formats such as DAT tapes. Ampex tape from certain years (the 80's were particularly bad) is infamous for oxide ooze, and thus has to frequently be baked in a convection oven for several hours before playback and transfer to another medium, such as a DAW. But again, it depends on how the tape was stored. High humidity storage conditions greatly increase the liklihood of suffering from this problem.

The auction description mentions both these sorts of issues and says that the tape is not suffering from either problem. It also says that the tape has been stored "tails out", which means that the tape would need to be rewound before playback. This is the correct method of storing analog tape over the long term - it doesn't prevent "print through", but it does reduce the noticeability of it.

• Members

thatd be something you could easily get in the rock n roll hall of fame here

but none of my tapes suffer from the oxide, then again mine arent 3M (one i heard did it like crazy) i dont even know mine though

i had some UNOPENED spools from the 70s. Damn they sound good.

• Members
Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

The Studio Trenches - here on HC.
:)
Feel free to drop in and say hello - especially if you're into recording and / or have any questions on recording / studio related topics.
:wave:

Happy to meet you Phil. I will stop over there. I'm a total recording newbie who just aquired my first interface that will allow me to record anything. I'll probably just lurk around for a while to pick up what I can but I'm pyched to enter a new stage of my musical endeavors.

"It's a musical journey"
Larry Mullen Jr.

Originally posted by Durango_Kid

Happy to meet you Phil. I will stop over there. I'm a total recording newbie who just aquired my first interface that will allow me to record anything. I'll probably just lurk around for a while to pick up what I can but I'm pyched to enter a new stage of my musical endeavors.

"It's a musical journey"

Larry Mullen Jr.

Great U2 R&H quote. :cool:

Please do drup by - we're "recording noob friendly" and will do what we can to help you out with any questions you may have. :)

Archived