who relies solely on a VOX AC-30 ?

• Members
Originally posted by preservation

hrm...i can't believe the CC version is actually getting some acclaim !

its a bit scary to know they burn through tubes though...how quickly ?
:confused:
i'm surprised they're as loud as some say-

my twin is loud but nearly as loud as everyone states-

that said it does have a master volume.

i'm so confused.

why the hell not?
china makes all of our electronics now.
they're to the aughties what japan was to the 70's.

so is your loopy band dynamic duo dissolving?
poor drummer boy. :cry:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by hope is here!

He might only have two AC30's on stage, but that's not what he solely relies on. He has a bunch of amps understage that he uses live as well. You just don't see that. Nor do you see the keyboardist or the second guitarist... but then we all thought U2 were some super band that could get that live sound with the four of them.

Oh okay, i'm guessing you must be the {censored}ing U2 sound tech. prove that {censored}. keyboardist maybe, but a second guitarist i think not. unless your talking about Bono.
I've been playing AC-30's since before your nuts dropped, and i can tell you 90% of edge's sound are coming from those ac-30s. and about a million dollars worth rack gear and pedals. but thats besides the point. love or hate u2 they they are extremely talented musicians. skippy

• Members
Originally posted by SpectralJulian

You guys know that attenuators don't really let you get tube saturation at lower volumes since the effects loop is before the power tubes and only after the pre-amp tubes.

What kind of fool puts an attenuator in the loop? Since my AC30 doesn't have an effects loop, I wouldn't know.

Do you mean the master volume? :confused:

• Members
Originally posted by murphj1

Originally posted by hope is here!

He might only have two AC30's on stage, but that's not what he solely relies on. He has a bunch of amps understage that he uses live as well. You just don't see that. Nor do you see the keyboardist or the second guitarist... but then we all thought U2 were some super band that could get that live sound with the four of them.

Oh okay, i'm guessing you must be the {censored}ing U2 sound tech. prove that {censored}. keyboardist maybe, but a second guitarist i think not. unless your talking about Bono.

I've been playing AC-30's since before your nuts dropped, and i can tell you 90% of edge's sound are coming from those ac-30s. and about a million dollars worth rack gear and pedals. but thats besides the point. love or hate u2 they they are extremely talented musicians. skippy

talented? nah. work the formula? sure. I just dont understand where they lie in american politics, last i heard they live in scotland/ireland and both dem and rep parties love to show them off at rallies.

• Members

If you guys are Tom Petty fans, he and Mike Campbell (lead guitar) have basically played at least one on every record and mostly live since 1976 or so...

If it's good enough for Tom, it's good enough for anyone!:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by preservation

... its a bit scary to know they burn through tubes though...how quickly ?
:confused:

They run pretty much flat out all the time, it's part of what makes them sound like they do. At the most you should expect two quads a year for above average use and you wouldn't be far off, roughly $40 per quad for matched JJ's I think. Of course, if you want to go 'nos' the sky's the limit.

I've spoken to others who've gotten three years from a single quad of modern production tubes, but mine have been swapped every 6 to 8 months or so due to failure or sounding knackered.

By the way, you did check this thread out, right? :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by omor

talented? nah. work the formula? sure. I just dont understand where they lie in american politics, last i heard they live in scotland/ireland and both dem and rep parties love to show them off at rallies.

Okay then. Since the early 80's, the huge followings, all the awards, huge albums, sold out stadiums. Your right its all bull{censored}. In no way did talent ever fall into the equation.

And your right. They should move to L.A. and start doing blow. Stop worrying about world events, and focus on making more money.

Now this is the part where you call me an asshole, and tell us all how you love nickleback.

BTW, thanks for your input on AC-30s

• Members

I happen to agree that U2 hide two additional musicians under or off the stage by the way. Not to mention the guy working all Edge's effects & stuff.

There's no shame in being creative enough in the studio to write more than you can reproduce live by yourself, or in making millions in the process and U2 are a fine example of that.

They have brand U2 to consider of course and the image is everything to them, but let's not be silly enough to think they play everything you hear at their concert, whilst also running around and doing the theatrics.

If you want to compare a U2 show to a band who also use AC30s and are responsible for everything you hear when you see them live, watch Radiohead. See how much time they don't have to do constant laps of a five hundred foot walkway?

• Members

Okay then. Since the early 80's, the huge followings, all the awards, huge albums, sold out stadiums. Your right its all bull{censored}. In no way did talent ever fall into the equation.

And your right. They should move to L.A. and start doing blow. Stop worrying about world events, and focus on making more money.

Now this is the part where you call me an asshole, and tell us all how you love nickleback.

the exact same thing could be said for acts like britney spears and n'sync...would you argue that there's enough talent there to merit their publicity and following? I'd also like to point out that I contribute more to this forum during the once in a blue moon, sparse post bursts that I do than your history of ass-headed posts. I did a nice little search for posts made by you, and every one of them was negative or hostile or both. congrats, you're an asshole and everbody knows it. its ok for you to troll forums and plant seeds for people to call you out on it for a little internet argument. Sucks for me, I fell for it.

p.s. - nickelback sucks harder than U2.

p.p.s. - normal_Retard_Win.jpg

• Members

the exact same thing could be said for acts like britney spears and n'sync...would you argue that there's enough talent there to merit their publicity and following? I'd also like to point out that I contribute more to this forum during the once in a blue moon, sparse post bursts that I do than your history of ass-headed posts. I did a nice little search for posts made by you, and 80% of them were negative, hostile, both or non-contributive. congrats, you're an asshole and everbody knows it. its ok for you to troll forums and plant seeds for people to call you out on it for a little internet argument. Sucks for me, I fell for it.

p.p.s. - normal_Retard_Win.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by omor

the exact same thing could be said for acts like britney spears and n'sync...would you argue that there's enough talent there to merit their publicity and following? I'd also like to point out that I contribute more to this forum during the once in a blue moon, sparse post bursts that I do than your history of ass-headed posts. I did a nice little search for posts made by you, and every one of them was negative or hostile or both. congrats, you're an asshole and everbody knows it. its ok for you to troll forums and plant seeds for people to call you out on it for a little internet argument. Sucks for me, I fell for it.

I might have as many posts as you if I choose to chime in, even if it had nothing to do with the subject. and fail to see how ther was a seed planted. i was on subject of crediting amp tone. then you start blurting out political parties, and formulas.
Once again thank you for that great AC-30 input.
Are you sure you took your ADD meds today.

• Members

I read it in an interview with Bono and Edge. I'm not bagging them cause I hate 'em, infact I'm quite a fan, and bloody oath they're talented musicians.
I was simply making a statement from something that I've read. Tho it makes sense and I agree with TeaHead. They put on an awesome show, and you have to be a little naive to believe that the four of them can get "that" sound by themselves. As T pointed out, it's about image. Edge is that much more a genious becuase he uses only two AC30's on stage, when really (according to this interview) it's much more invloved than that. Do you rekon he only uses two AC30's in the studio? Skippy :wave:

• Members

I consider myself a U2 fan as well, saw them twice this summer, I've never read anything on their live show to the effect of them having a second guitarist offstage. Obviously the Edge has somebody controlling effects etc offstage but unless Bono is strumming along there are no second guitar parts that I could hear - lots of delay, backing tracks, keyboards etc at times but no second guitarist?!

• Members

when using the ac-30 at lower volumes, I find that my Tom Anderson isn't too great to listen to. In fact, my tele and my clapton strat don't sound that great either.

Only when the amp is cranked does it get any use of its tubes, IMO.

• Members

I dont know about their normal live show, although I have seen them a couple times, but I just re-watched their performance from the America : Tribute to Heros show, and there was a 2nd guitar player (and Bono was playing guitar) which I thought was odd.

• Members

The studio where I just mixed my upcoming album in previously had Robbie Adams in there mixing a U2 concert. The studio kept the strip of tape used to label the consoles faders (it's taped to their glass door seperating the control room/live room). I believe there were 2 guitars listed, though I would assume that one was for Bono.

• Members

I've found the AC-30 to have the perfect volume and projection for playing with a rock band. Stacks were invented to cope with stadium playing without a PA, yet we still have them around. I play with a drummer who is John Bonham loud and yet I still don't need to turn up past 3. Anything bigger and louder is just not necessary these days.

• Members

I'm a U2 fan..have been for a long time. Seen them about 8 times or so since 91. So this isnt in any way insulting them but i THINK i kinda remember that when they did the Zoo TV tour, that they did have another guitar player under the stage. Except i dont think they were "hiding" him at all. In fact, the reason I remember this was because they were on some tv show discussing the tour and the set and stuff and they brought you down under the stage and showed you the guitar player and stuff.

But this was a long time ago and i could be confusing it with another band but im pretty sure that at least on that tour, they did have another guitarist.

Also, it's not exactly an AC30 but I have an Orange AD30; which is pretty damn close in topology, i believe. and I think you can rely on just one amp but personally, I believe the best of all worlds scenario would be two amps

Archived