who relies solely on a VOX AC-30 ?

• Members

Originally posted by Teahead

I happen to agree that U2 hide two additional musicians under or off the stage by the way. Not to mention the guy working all Edge's effects & stuff.

There's no shame in being creative enough in the studio to write more than you can reproduce live by yourself,.......... but let's not be silly enough to think they play everything you hear at their concert, whilst also running around and doing the theatrics.

If you want to compare a U2 show to a band who also use AC30s and are responsible for everything you hear when you see them live, watch Radiohead. See how much time they don't have to do constant laps of a five hundred foot walkway?

The Edge uses two AC30's and usually two other amps (old Fenders on the"vertigo tour", a couple of randalls on some tours) and he also uses a BLUES JR (vertigo tour) that has a volume pedal before it to mix in this "Shimmer" effect which is sort of a synthy string pad type sound. The Edge does play most all of the guitar you hear live. his effects are insane. his tech ,Dallas, also can control his rack via another midi controler offstage.......so that the Edge can put on a show, play guitar and not worry about running 30 ft back to his board...........I would LOVE to have this sometime (PS many guitarist have offstage boards that thier tech use to switch effects.....Kirk Hammet anyone!!!!) Most of the Keyboard stuff, that the Edge doesn't play, is backing tracks/offstage etc........Guitar is Edge or Bono.

Radiohead is great, just not in the same ballpark as U2......and I'm not say either is better than the other, music is not a competition!!!!!! U2 is like the Beatles of these times and Radiohead is like the Velvet Underground or something like that.......great bands but apples and oranges really.

AC-30's and clones are great amps and will fit most any style of music. U2 to STP (along with the Demeter pre rig) and Foo Fighters (along with the Mesa's) and country guy Brad Paisly (sp?) have all used them. I use an AC-30 style amp and play in an original band,cover band (Stones to STP and back) and ,gasp, a U2 tribute band........It will take pedals all day long and sound fantastic. You won't regret getting one.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I dunno man ... I heard stories about guys in Nam going out on patrols with just an AC30 there to back em up ... and they got tagged big time! I don't think those guys felt they could rely soley on an AC30 at all ... bad {censored} man, badddd {censored}!

• Members

Hmmm, I know that Edge is triggering samples of various lengths using his MIDI board and there are sections live where you can obviously two guitar sounds (I'm assuming it's either Bono playing along or it's samples being triggered).

But also, sounds synth sounds are actually guitar using the "shimmer" patch. As well, he's got two delays going at the same time sometimes so it's like a multitap delay on a synth. Hit one note and you end up with a few thousand ping-ponging notes.

btw, I'm using a Vox AC15 with the blue speaker. It's a 15 watter and when I have taken it out to clubs/bars, I have had bar managers and owners complain that my amp was way too loud during sound check. It's my only amp and if you do a search back on posts, I was loving on Fender Tweed Deluxe amps way before Edge added them to his rig. So now we'll see how long before he adds a Diezel VH4 :D

• Members

In experience from speaking to sound guys and guitar techs from top flight bands there's some quite funny stuff you hear.

I've heard about Dallas The Edge's guitar tech playing secondary parts on some songs, through a spare rig he has underneath the stage that can also be used to switch to if The Edge's onstage rig is problematic.

I've heard that Mick Jagger has two different "voice clones" at either side of the stage when the Stones play. If Jagger moves his mouth away from the mic or is struggling with vocals then one of the other singers will step in, and I heard that from someone who has done sound for the Stones.

• Members

Originally posted by bentley

If Jagger moves his mouth away from the mic or is struggling with vocals then one of the other singers will step in, and I heard that from someone who has done sound for the Stones.

Yup all true ... somebody does Jaggers {censored}ing for him also if his pumping tires during sex ... a quick swap over has a guy with pre-prepared boner leap from behind the hotel curtains and the chick barely knows the difference!

• Members

Originally posted by bentley

In experience from speaking to sound guys and guitar techs from top flight bands there's some quite funny stuff you hear.

I've heard about Dallas The Edge's guitar tech playing secondary parts on some songs, through a spare rig he has underneath the stage that can also be used to switch to if The Edge's onstage rig is problematic.

I've heard that Mick Jagger has two different "voice clones" at either side of the stage when the Stones play. If Jagger moves his mouth away from the mic or is struggling with vocals then one of the other singers will step in, and I heard that from someone who has done sound for the Stones.

Never heard this before but it could be true.

On the other hand it could be sour grapes and jealousy.

• Members

i have an 80s vox ac30, and have not ever changed the tubes, and they still work, although i should change them, i am not going to be gigging with it until next winter, so i will change the tubes then, but i have not found any pedals that the amp does not like, but it does sound better with humbucking pickups or a tele, but doesnt really like strats, but maybe thats just me, i dont really trust the amp because it runs extremely hot, and sometimes i fear that it will burn up right before my eyes, i am considering getting rid of mine because its old, and getting a JMI copy.

• Members
Originally posted by (((echo)))

yeah you'd have no problem keeping up with an AC30, if you have some time maybe have rob at valvetech build you a hayseed 30. they're about the same price or cheaper than a used uk AC30 and only a couple hundred more than a new CC and a better amp then both by all accounts. i've had a few AC30's and love them.. the only downsides i dealt with was the tone wasn't great at low levels, when it's loud though
:eek::love:

also the brilliant channel is very picky with overdrive pedals, i never found the right od for it
:(

+1

• Members

all of these amps are on stage too (not just the Vox amps on stage, as someone else said). A couple of old Fender Deluxes and a Blues Jr. added for the Vertigo tour.

I think the spare rig is actually behind these amps. I've seen photos with a couple of extra Voxes behind the main rig.

Originally posted by guitarchris

The Edge uses two AC30's and usually two other amps (old Fenders on the"vertigo tour", a couple of randalls on some tours) and he also uses a BLUES JR (vertigo tour) that has a volume pedal before it to mix in this "Shimmer" effect which is sort of a synthy string pad type sound. The Edge does play most all of the guitar you hear live. his effects are insane. his tech ,Dallas, also can control his rack via another midi controler offstage.......so that the Edge can put on a show, play guitar and not worry about running 30 ft back to his board...........I would LOVE to have this sometime (PS many guitarist have offstage boards that thier tech use to switch effects.....Kirk Hammet anyone!!!!) Most of the Keyboard stuff, that the Edge doesn't play, is backing tracks/offstage etc........Guitar is Edge or Bono.

• Members
Originally posted by preservation

i... don't understand that.
:cry:

It says something like.:Of course the price is fair! It's handmade!
The ac30 handwired is just the topboost channel and a crappy reverb. It costs 3200 dollar/euro. the Hayseed is a 1962 ac30 tb that is about half the price.

• Members

Originally posted by preservation

i didn't see anywhere on his site where he mentions the build-time, and on the order form there was no area for a 2x12" hayseed...

that said, i wonder if has the about the same amount of volume the AC30 has...

Ask Olle. He sold a ac30 ri and bought a hayseed. And I geuss he is never gonna sell it since he has it for sometime now.

• Members

b/c what i've got now will pretty much be paying for the Hayseed...

so i've got to sell either

my Twin & Burns Marquee
sovtek head, cab & marquee
sovtek head, cab & twin
Twin, cab, & marquee...

you get the gist-

how long is the wait-time ?
is there an official # ?

Archived