who relies solely on a VOX AC-30 ?

• Members

since i'm about to start a new band and hope to downsize just a tad, i'm wondering if a combo like the

vox ac-30 (or a fender bassman through 4x10" spkrs)

would do the job...

i'll eventually be only using 2 telecasters.

what are the pros & cons?

is it loud enough for use in a band w/ a loud drummer, or no?

some info please, the amp forum will let this thread go.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

yeah you'd have no problem keeping up with an AC30, if you have some time maybe have rob at valvetech build you a hayseed 30. they're about the same price or cheaper than a used uk AC30 and only a couple hundred more than a new CC and a better amp then both by all accounts. i've had a few AC30's and love them.. the only downsides i dealt with was the tone wasn't great at low levels, when it's loud though :eek::love:

also the brilliant channel is very picky with overdrive pedals, i never found the right od for it :(

• Members

i just need something that will absolutely do the trick for stuff in my ('effects for late 70s-mid 80s UK bands' thread)

i also love the tone of the guitars on Morrissey's "Your Arsenal" & especially "Viva Hate" albums...
--
for modern stuff i really like the kind of clean/raggedy tones the dudes in the Futureheads use-
i think thats an AC-30 & a Bassman.
any clue?

i want some chime & jangle, but some volume w/it.
:love:

• Members

The AC30 will hang with and more than likely overpower any drummer, however loud. It maybe a 30w combo, but don't let that tag fool you. Most AC30 owners are also attenuator owners, although the newer ones apparently have a decent master volume.

Tele's into the Normal Channel is a bonehead simple great tone, just crank the volume and ignore the tone controls. This channel takes almost any and all pedals very well too.

The Top Boost channel has more gain available and less clean headroom as a result. It's 'picky' about which pedals it likes, appreciating simple 'Screamer type overdrives to complement it's complex sound.

Good luck.

• Members

The Normal Channel has never refused anything really, although it's picky about wah, or at least I am. The TB is funny about overdrives, fuzzes & boosts, which happen to be the things the Normal Channel loves the most!

You can always run parallel into both channels, with dirt into Norm. & other stuff into Top Boost, blend the volumes to taste or a/b from your board. The amp is nothing if not versatile enough to offer a solution and alternative to it's drawbacks.

• Members

sounds good so far...
i'm trying to think of how many influential bands (to me) have used an AC-30 so i can snoop out more
tones, etc.
i guess i'd have to look for an older british model since now there's chinese (CC) & others all over the place?:confused:

• Members

Originally posted by preservation

Morrissey's "Your Arsenal"

Didn't Johnny Marr use Laneys? I'm probably wrong. But I think I recall hearing/reading/seeing something. I think he used the VC30 which is pretty similar to an AC30. Maybe research it. You may save money by going with the Laney and it would cover your needs.

• Members
Originally posted by preservation

sounds good so far...

i'm trying to think of how many influential bands (to me) have used an AC-30 so i can snoop out more

tones, etc.

i guess i'd have to look for an older british model since now there's chinese (CC) & others all over the place?
:confused:

The CC range gets praise galore from Plexi Palace Vox forum members, many of whom have both original '60s & UK Reissue models to compare to. It has the benefit of a master volume, effects loop, reverb and other jazz of which I'm unsure.

The CC model had reliabiliy issues in the beginning, which seems to have pretty much subsided. You'll likely want to spend the price of a new set of tubes though and always keep a spare set of power tubes around, all AC30s eat tubes.

Having said all that, if you stumble across a Reissue built in the UK, it's a more simple amp and may suit better should you not have the need for the CC's features. The AC30 did well enough for forty years before they were fitted with all those mod-cons anyhow.

• Members

Originally posted by beezdeez

Didn't Johnny Marr use Laneys? I'm probably wrong. But I think I recall hearing/reading/seeing something. I think he used the VC30 which is pretty similar to an AC30. Maybe research it. You may save money by going with the Laney and it would cover your needs.

im pretty sure johnny marr doesnt play on morrissey's solo albums...

• Members

here's a story:
my practice room is about 15x20 or so. so the drums are really close. our drummer playes medium loud. my friend just got one of the new AC-30s (awesome tone!) and i had to turn up to compete with him. and i noticed the drummer had to play a bit louder.
at the end of practice i found out the AC-30 was set at about 2--just past where there was normal tone without treble loss, etc. :eek:

and if you want chime the Vox is the place to be--chime with more meat than a lot of Fenders.

• Members
Originally posted by fusionid

The Edge?

He might only have two AC30's on stage, but that's not what he solely relies on. He has a bunch of amps understage that he uses live as well. You just don't see that. Nor do you see the keyboardist or the second guitarist... but then we all thought U2 were some super band that could get that live sound with the four of them.

As for the AC30. A good mate has a CC AC30, a Tele, and an Analogman TS and his tone is to die for. He plays into the normal channel cause his idea of the perfect amp is two knobs - Tone and Volume. Still trying to convince him to get the Charmen Ghia :D

• Members

hrm...i can't believe the CC version is actually getting some acclaim !
its a bit scary to know they burn through tubes though...how quickly ?:confused:
i'm surprised they're as loud as some say-
my twin is loud but nearly as loud as everyone states-
that said it does have a master volume.
i'm so confused.

• Members

Originally posted by SpectralJulian

You guys know that attenuators don't really let you get tube saturation at lower volumes since the effects loop is before the power tubes and only after the pre-amp tubes.

isnt that why you put it in between the amp and the speaker?

Archived