when wah makes fuzz squeal

Vatican

• Members

Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

I suspect it's down to sensitivity to input impedance. Fuzz Faces, for instance, are more susceptible, and also do that cleaning-up-with-the-volume-control thing.

Yup! The thing to do is get a Barber Tone Press and stick that right after your wah and place your fuzz pedals after the compressor, it takes a bit of a tap dance but if I am using wah and fuzz at the same time my Tone Press is on. I would even make the statement that the one pedal everyone in the world needs is the Barber Tone Press.:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by HMCMedic

Yup! The thing to do is get a Barber Tone Press and stick that right after your wah and place your fuzz pedals after the compressor, it takes a bit of a tap dance but if I am using wah and fuzz at the same time my Tone Press is on. I would even make the statement that the one pedal everyone in the world needs is the Barber Tone Press.
:thu:

YEP, there are many ways to do this. You can also use a DOD Bi-fet.

I also use a compressor to change the fuzz response. Another obvious option is to place the fuzz after a buffered pedal (alas, not a true bypass) when this one is off. If you "like" the tone after a buffered pedal then your problem is solved. I heard some people doing that to smooth out a big muff.

• Members

Originally posted by Vatican

Have you tried doing what I did, just inserting an echo pedal instead?

The only problem with this, is the fact that between wah & fuzz isn't really the natural place to have a delay. So while the buffer is fixing the problem, you're compromising the effect.

You may think differently than I do and that's cool, but listen to the delay pedal's performance when it is before & after the fuzz. Which one do you prefer?

The Foxrox buffer does an excellent job, as does putting a comp between the wah & fuzz. Since a comp would most often be used in this position, you don't lose anything but the squeal.

• Members

Originally posted by Teahead

listen to the delay pedal's performance when it is before & after the fuzz. Which one do you prefer?

I actually like it before. I find that the echo has a better defined sound, cause it's quieter. I like the better definition, and I think the analog echo darkens it enough as it is.

Archived