is the tonelab se through a tech 21 my tonal answer?

adambomb

• Members

Originally posted by The Dog Boy

My rig is a Tonelab SE through two Tech 21 Power Engine 60s.....I am very happy with it.....low maintenance.....loads of great tones.....I recommend!
:thu:

Do you have a pic with your gear? I use a Power Engine and I'm looking to buy another one, I'd like to see a two PW60s set-up :)

How do you use them, stacked or aside?

• Members

Originally posted by The Dog Boy

My rig is a Tonelab SE through two Tech 21 Power Engine 60s.....I am very happy with it.....low maintenance.....loads of great tones.....I recommend!

hey cool, can you get decent heavy distortion?

can the se do metallica?

thanx

• Members

Originally posted by adambomb

hey cool, can you get decent heavy distortion?

can the se do metallica?

thanx

I have seen this argument being worn down to dust on these forums.....my opinion is that the Tonelab can basically get any kind of sound you want, but a lot of that has to do with the player, the guitar and the player's ability to program the Tonelab SE correctly.

I use my Power Engines side by side.....I enjoy gettin a nice stereo "spread" when using certain effects.

• Members

Originally posted by blinz

Would this work just as well using the effects return on a Tech 21 Trademark 60 instead of the Power Engine?

Yes, but, because of the TM60's preamp section being bypassed, you would lose the volume control on the TM60's panel. It's power section would work at full 60 watts. You'd need a low impedance, active volume pedal in the chain, placed after whatever you are using as a preamp, to be able to control the overall level.

• Members

Originally posted by danut

Yes, but, because of the TM60's preamp section being bypassed, you would lose the volume control on the TM60's panel. It's power section would work at full 60 watts. You'd need a low impedance, active volume pedal in the chain, placed after whatever you are using as a preamp, to be able to control the overall level.

Isnt' there an output level on the Tonelab SE that would serve this same purpose? I'm just thinking about the TM60 instead of the Power Engine for the ability to take just the amp without the Tonelab on occassion - say a quick jam somewhere, etc where I don't want to lug everything.

• Members

If you have the TLSE it won't be a problem anymore, since it has a master volume control and there is the volume pedal too. Having a TM60 instead of the PW60, together with the TLSE, gives you the versatility you're looking for.

The only slight downside is that the TM60 doesn't have the PW60's graphic EQ on the power section, which allows you a quick fix for a bad room. I don't know if the TLSE has some master EQ section, which could substitute the PW60's.

• Members

very interesting and informative stuff being discussed on this thread, i learned things i didn't know before. (i'm not a tech head)

so does anyone else concurr with danut that the SE can do metallica type tones convincingly?

i play many styles, but i heard that some people don't think the SE can pull off the truly heavy distorted tones like metallica, slayer etc. and one of the styles i play live is heavy stuff.

• Members

so does anyone else concurr with danut that the SE can do metallica type tones convincingly?

I'm sorry, I didn'y say anything like that. I don't have a TLSE, neither did I try it.

• Members

If you have the TLSE it won't be a problem anymore, since it has a master volume control and there is the volume pedal too. Having a TM60 instead of the PW60, together with the TLSE, gives you the versatility you're looking for.

The only slight downside is that the TM60 doesn't have the PW60's graphic EQ on the power section, which allows you a quick fix for a bad room. I don't know if the TLSE has some master EQ section, which could substitute the PW60's.

I don't have either one right now, but I'm looking to change around my rig. I haven't decided whether to go with the TLSE and an amp or go with the AD60VTX.

• Members

Originally posted by blinz

I don't have either one right now, but I'm looking to change around my rig. I haven't decided whether to go with the TLSE and an amp or go with the AD60VTX.

If the TLSE is half as good as people around here claim, I'm 100% sure it will work wonders with a pair of PW60s, or TM60s, or mixed!

• Members

I loved mine into my Gibson Goldtone... I only used it for mid gain kind of stuff and never really messed with anything heavy.

Ended up going boutique amp, boutique-ish pedals... but for all of the tones and good sounds that you get with that board it is WELL worth it.

• Members

Oh, and I got a sales flyer in the mail from wood wind brass wind that had the Atomic Reactor 112 for sale for 349$ each, down from 499$... Those are supposed to work wonders with the Tonelab SE, check those out.

wwbw.com doesn't have them for sale on the site for 349$, but I got the flyer last week so I bet they would honor it.

• Members

If you are mainly after high gain stuff, you might be better off getting a POD XT Live, with the metal pack. The TLSE is famous for its mid gain tones, which might not be exactly what you want.

• Members

If you are mainly after high gain stuff, you might be better off getting a POD XT Live, with the metal pack. The TLSE is famous for its mid gain tones, which might not be exactly what you want.

And here we go AGAIN!....:rolleyes: It's about the player, the guitar and the programming.....not the Tonelab.

• Members

point taken....but i have owned the xt live and own a boss gt-8. i try to run the boss in front of, then in the effects loop of a peavey triple XXX. (so as to get utilize the tubes in the power section) it didn't sound to good.

i was leaning toward getting the SE so i could run it through a tech 21 and have the tube issue solved (with the SE)

the high gain stuff isn't *really* important, but it does account for some of what i play onstage.

i wanted the most organic sounding tone i could get from a modeller.

i figured it would be either a xtlive or gt-8 through an atomic reactor amp. (but i heard and read to many comments about the farty low end).

or....

a vox tlse (which has the tube issue solved) through a tech 21.

i concluded the SE/tech 21 combination would sound the best. (with a death metal pedal stomp in the chain for heavy stuff)

am i right? waddya think....

• Members

point taken....but i have owned the xt live and own a boss gt-8. i try to run the boss in front of, then in the effects loop of a peavey triple XXX. (so as to get utilize the tubes in the power section) it didn't sound to good.

i was leaning toward getting the SE so i could run it through a tech 21 and have the tube issue solved (with the SE)

the high gain stuff isn't *really* important, but it does account for some of what i play onstage.

i wanted the most organic sounding tone i could get from a modeller.

i figured it would be either a xtlive or gt-8 through an atomic reactor amp. (but i heard and read to many comments about the farty low end).

or....

a vox tlse (which has the tube issue solved) through a tech 21.

i concluded the SE/tech 21 combination would sound the best. (with a death metal pedal stomp in the chain for heavy stuff)

am i right? waddya think....

I've been using this setup for a couple of years for church gigs and some club gigs. It works very well. The tone controls on the PowerEngine 60 allow you to dial it in for any room without having to reprogram your SE patch settings.

My only complaints might be that the some of the effects modelling (mostly chorus and OD) on the SE is not up to par with some of my nice boutique effects like the Fulltone Choralflange or Keeley or Barber ODs, (Oh well :rolleyes: ). Also, you cannot rearrange the order of the external effects loop. It always goes before the pedal effects and the amp models. Other than that, the SE's effects are pretty good, with some really nice analog and tape delays, and a decent compressor.

The amp models are very good, with a nice feel to them. I haven't quite figured out how to get a killer Fender Blackface Super sound out of it without sounding a little icepickey and stiff, but to be honest I have not yet A/Bed it directly with a BF amp and gone through all the speaker combinations. There are plenty of really good gain and clean sounds in the SE, and you could cover any gig with this combo as long as you take the time to program it and you are not looking for the highest quality booteek tube amp and analog effect sounds.

Archived