is the tonelab se through a tech 21 my tonal answer?

adambomb

• Members

Originally posted by Frank Prince

I've been using this setup for a couple of years for church gigs and some club gigs. It works very well. The tone controls on the PowerEngine 60 allow you to dial it in for any room without having to reprogram your SE patch settings.

My only complaints might be that the some of the effects modelling (mostly chorus and OD) on the SE is not up to par with some of my nice boutique effects like the Fulltone Choralflange or Keeley or Barber ODs, (Oh well
:rolleyes:
). Also, you cannot rearrange the order of the external effects loop. It always goes before the pedal effects and the amp models. Other than that, the SE's effects are pretty good, with some really nice analog and tape delays, and a decent compressor.

The amp models are very good, with a nice feel to them. I haven't quite figured out how to get a killer Fender Blackface Super sound out of it without sounding a little icepickey and stiff, but to be honest I have not yet A/Bed it directly with a BF amp and gone through all the speaker combinations. There are plenty of really good gain and clean sounds in the SE, and you could cover any gig with this combo as long as you take the time to program it and you are not looking for the highest quality booteek tube amp and analog effect sounds.

thanx for replying.... the effects are good enough for stage use i bet though, right?

• Members

Originally posted by adambomb

thanx for replying.... the effects are good enough for stage use i bet though, right?

Pretty much, yeah. There are a lot of options, so the biggest part is dialing it in correctly.

Again, I am spoiled by owning some really killer pedals. I will probably never get the SE to sound quite as good my Choralflange or Keeley compressor, but I am probably the only one who would notice the difference at a gig. I would imagine all the effects are at least standard Boss quality, and some even better.

• Members

Originally posted by The Dog Boy

My rig is a Tonelab SE through two Tech 21 Power Engine 60s.....I am very happy with it.....low maintenance.....loads of great tones.....I recommend

I was looking at getting 2 Tech21 Power engine 60s to run my sansamp PSA-1 through. How do they sound? Do they further colour your tone at all or are they quite flat? It's either that or get a SS power amp (like carvin) and run it into the tech21 trademark 2x12 cab wired in stereo. If I did this I wouldn't get a true stereo spread though, and would probably have phase issues with the 2 speakers running in stereo in the same cab.

• Members

Originally posted by tone_crafter

I was looking at getting 2 Tech21 Power engine 60s to run my sansamp PSA-1 through. How do they sound? Do they further colour your tone at all or are they quite flat? It's either that or get a SS power amp (like carvin) and run it into the tech21 trademark 2x12 cab wired in stereo. If I did this I wouldn't get a true stereo spread though, and would probably have phase issues with the 2 speakers running in stereo in the same cab.

If your main thing is high gain riffs and the like, you'd be better off with a separate SS power amp and the closed back TM212. The Power Engine 60s are open back and might not provide you the tightness needed for that kind of stuff. If your style incorporates a fair share of clean and crunchy stuff, Power Engine 60 is the way to go. They sound very transparent, have a lot of headroom and plenty of volume. Besides, they win on the portability side; if you have a small gig or a jam with your friends, you can take a single PW60 and have the job done. Your back will be the first to thank you.

Archived