Any love for Jaco on this forum?

Lensrock

• Members

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

Ofcourse ... shame about getting gunned down outside the Miami nightspot though ... he was a huge influence on Sting funnily enough.

...the story I read was that he was in an altercation at a bar and died from the injuries sustained during the fight...

• Members

Ofcourse ... shame about getting gunned down outside the Miami nightspot though ... he was a huge influence on Sting funnily enough.

You sure he was gunned down? I remember reading somewhere that he was beaten into a coma, suffered brain damage and they pulled the plug on him.

• Members

You guys may be right .... long time since I read the story ... years infact so yeah - the main thing was he went down at a bar or club in Miami under not very nice circumstance ... I believe he was a druggy and it was most likely drug {censored} related.

What a waste of talent eh?

• Members

You guys may be right .... long time since I read the story ... years infact so yeah - the main thing was he went down at a bar or club in Miami under not very nice circumstance ... I believe he was a druggy and it was most likely drug {censored} related.

What a waste of talent eh?

He had some mental health issues as well the drug and alc' problems. But ya...a damn shame however way you look at it.

• Members

Theres an awesome video of him with Weather Report playing the song Teen Town on you tube. You guys should check it out, he does this amazing spin move.

He was, in fact, beaten into a coma. Sad story. Hard drugs catch up with everyone in one way or another.

• Members

Originally posted by gregovertone

i was under the impression that it was the nightclubs bouncer who actually beat him.....

he got hit, took a dive, cracked his head on the ground, which caused a hemorrhage, which is what caused the coma.

That sounds spot on actually ... this happens allot where somebody get's king hit and it's actually the fall that kills them and not the punch.

• Members

I heard that santana was playing a gig at the club, jaco tried to sit in, they booted him out, the bouncer beat the crap out of him, and they later pulled him out of a pool of his own blood in the parking lot. He had stints at bellevue hospital for depression also if what i heard is correct.

• Members

Originally posted by mumford

Yeah, I know a guy who was friends with him. He said he would show up at your house unannounced and stay for weeks. Sleep for 3 hours, play bass for 6 hours, watch flintstones, repeat.

That could describe any one of a thousand musicians I know. Great bass player. Often insecurity comes across as being arrogant, a prick or any one of a number of things.

• Members

Much love!

Heavy Weather, Night Passage, etc..; his solo record and work w/ Metheney and Joni; and the live Weather Report (8:30, Live and Unreleased...); and on and on...
Inspirational!

Modern Electric Bass is tremendous.

(I'd love to hear any recording of his side stint w/ Blood, Sweat and Tears... and apologies for synchophantic Jaco-gushing)

• Members

Yeah, I prefer his solo work or session work and Weather Report really sounds a bit outdated to me nowadays. Jaco remains to be one of the best bass players ever. Together with Mingus, Nils Henning Orsted Pedersen, Stanley Clark, Jon Entwhistle amongst others

Archived