Fulltone '69 for Zep's "What is and What Should Never Be"?

Josh S

• Members

Hi guys... So, I've recently purchased a Paul, and of course I've been digging into Zeppelin a bit more - to be dead honest, I never really liked them before, but I'm starting to get it :cool:

Anyway - the hard part in What is and What Should Never Be has the most slaying tone, in my mind - that wicked crunch in the background. I want that tone :cool: So I've got to ask - what would be the best pedal to approximate that? I'm not a noob, and I'm not an idiot, so no responses like "Get a marshall and talent, noob", if you please :D Pedal-wise, I would love to know what would get it there.

Thanks!! :)

• Members

I really don't think it's a fuzz doing the heavy lifting in that tune.

The tone is very characteristic of a cranked Supro - which page used extensively on that record. There are a lot of small 5-6 watt tube amps that could cop that tone perfectly, a supro, gretsch, etc.

As for pedals, the closest I know of is the BJF Honey Bee. It does an extraordinary job of replicating both the tone and response of the Supro.

http://www.inrerocknroll.com/tunes/HB.mp3
While that's not a page-esque clip at all, it can give you an idea what the HB is capable of.

Archived