The OLD Elton John Appreciation Thread

• Members

Before he became that fat old queen known as Sir Elton, there was a bona fide ROCK STAR called Elton John. I'm talking '71-'76, starting with Madman Across The Water through Captian Fantastic.

In my book, his talent and skill as an individual songwriter has yet to be matched. There wasn't a style he couldn't handle, from ballads to hard rock - he could literally jump into any bag and yet still sound like Elton John (in a cool way). Incredible musician and performer, and he had the most KILLER band - Davey Johnstone, Dee Murray, and Nigel Olsson, who always played the best parts for the SONG, and on top of that they sang backup like angels.

The music of Elton John from this era is timeless and classic and, as far as I'm concerned, right up there with the Beatles.

Now Discuss!

• Members
Originally posted by Non-Digital Tom

he had the most KILLER band - Davey Johnstone, Dee Murray, and Nigel Olsson, who always played the best parts for the SONG, and on top of that they sang backup like angels.

Caleb Quaye and Chris Spedding are not pleased with you :mad:

Special shout-outs to:
Holiday Inn
All The Nasties
Where To Now, St. Peter
Take Your Mama... oh wait, that's Scissor Sisters :)

The amazing thing is just how violently he turned the corner. Killer rekkid after killer rekkid and then boom, Leather Jackets :cry:

(Though I do actually like "I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues," despite the Gayest Backup Vox EVAR.)

• Members

You know, I graduated from high school in '74 so these songs are kinda part of my life. Many of his songs take me back to specific times in my life.

It's funny how music marks time and or experiences through your life. Of course I listened to many other great bands in that era, but Elton was BIG.

FM radio had only been on the scene for a few years and a DJ at a local Dallas station once said "If I am ever at a loss as to what to play, I turn to Elton John".

Good Times.....:)

• Members
Originally posted by TheAtomicJeff

Back in the day.......he was rock and roll greatness.

*sigh*

Skip, I thought I was the only one who appreciated "Rock of the Westies".
:thu:

An old band of mine used to do a cover of Street Kids. I didn't think anyone else ever heard of that song, lol.

• Members
Originally posted by TheAtomicJeff

Skip, I thought I was the only one who appreciated "Rock of the Westies".
:thu:

Rock of the Westies is okay. First album without the classic line up. I never thought about it until years later, but the lyrics to "Island Girl" are so politically incorrect.

• Members

Before he became that fat old queen known as Sir Elton, there was a bona fide ROCK STAR called Elton John. I'm talking '71-'76, starting with
Madman Across The Water
through
Captian Fantastic

In my book, his talent and skill as an individual songwriter has yet to be matched. There wasn't a style he couldn't handle, from ballads to hard rock - he could literally jump into any bag and yet still sound like Elton John (in a cool way). Incredible musician and performer, and he had the most KILLER band - Davey Johnstone, Dee Murray, and Nigel Olsson, who always played the best parts for the SONG, and on top of that they sang backup like angels.

The music of Elton John from this era is timeless and classic and, as far as I'm concerned, right up there with the Beatles.

Now Discuss!

Tom finally comes out of the closet(see shoe vids on his site:D :D )
You are a brave man Tom, I applaud you!
:wave: :wave:

• Members

Another thing that made Elton cool in the '70s is that he played all the keyboards himself - electric piano, organ, Mellotron, clavinet. Later on he just let others play all the keys and he just stuck to the piano.

Sir Elton is great on piano and keys and such, but I hear he really sucks on the organ.:eek::D

• Members

When I was a kid I was a big Elton fan. My mom had heart surgery (double bypass) around Xmas 1974, I was 11 years old.

My dad knew someone who got the word to Elton's management and I actually received a Christmas card from Elton wishing the best for me and my family. It blew my mind.. I compared his signature to one in a magazine and it looked the same. The envelope came from England and had "Windsor" stamped on it.

When my parents eventually sell their house I hope to find that card.. haven

Archived