What's that pedal that 'fattens' up your tone?

d0zerz

• Members

I remember reading reviews about a pedal...mighta been a clean boost, but obviously not a totally transparent one because it supposedly 'thickens' up tone generally.

HC reviews had people saying they left it on all the time, but didn't use it as a boost because it just made everything sound better...

IIRC it was boutique...fulltone, keeley, ...something like that...

• Members
Originally posted by Coach

A transparent boost
will
fatten tone.

Buy an Electro Harmonix LPB-1 for $30 and see for yourself.

Hmmm....really? :o

My dano eq doesn't really when I leave everythiing flat and crank up the vol :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by d0zerz

I remember reading reviews about a pedal...mighta been a clean boost, but obviously not a totally transparent one because it supposedly 'thickens' up tone generally.

HC reviews had people saying they left it on all the time, but didn't use it as a boost because it just made everything sound better...

IIRC it was boutique...fulltone, keeley, ...something like that...

I think you mean the Zvex Super Duper. It's 2 Superhardon clean boosts in one pedal, 1 of them with a master volume so you can use it to fatten up your tone, and the other for boosting your solo's. I use it that way...

• Members
Originally posted by Heineken

I think you mean the Zvex Super Duper. It's 2 Superhardon clean boosts in one pedal, 1 of them with a master volume so you can use it to fatten up your tone, and the other for boosting your solo's. I use it that way...

Yes! The SHO is it!

Thank you sir :love:

• Members
Originally posted by d0zerz

Hmmm....really?
:o

My dano eq doesn't really when I leave everythiing flat and crank up the vol
:confused:

What amp are you using?

An EQ ought to work in a similar way to the SHO. Maybe your amp doesn't take a front end push as well as some do.

Try boosting all the bands and then the vol on the EQ. Does that work?

The SHO is a great pedal. But it's not for every setup.

d

• Members

Originally posted by Uma Floresta

A surprisingly good "fattener" is the Boss SD-1 overdrive... just keep the drive down low or at zero, and adjust volume and tone to taste ... you can really just leave it on all the time. It adds that "je ne sais quois." Cheap, too.

Same thing with the MXR Distortion II (apart from the "cheap" thing though) - I use mine the same way and it just adds so much more depth to my tone, both clean and distorted.

• Members
Originally posted by dave esmond

What amp are you using?

An EQ ought to work in a similar way to the SHO. Maybe your amp doesn't take a front end push as well as some do.

Try boosting all the bands and then the vol on the EQ. Does that work?

The SHO is a great pedal. But it's not for every setup.

d

Deluxe reverb RI. It loves a front end push!

I'm not talking about pushing it though -- I've got my FD-2 for that. I'm just looking for a generally 'fatter' tone with the same volume. If by 'fat' people just mean 'a bit louder' then maybe we've got some semantics issues :)

• Members

Originally posted by dopey1978

Same thing with the MXR Distortion II (apart from the "cheap" thing though) - I use mine the same way and it just adds so much more depth to my tone, both clean and distorted.

Definitely that depth thing... it's hard to describe. But everything sounds more alive -- especially if you're using a virtual amp.

The SD-1 is quite transparent, nevertheless... and it is friendly with my modulation effects.

• Members

Oddly enough, an AF-9 with the sensitivity turned all the way down and the switches set a certain way really fattens up my tone nicely. I could probably get the same effect from an EQ, but I'm far too lazy for that.

• Members

Originally posted by Wilbo26

Oddly enough, an AF-9 with the sensitivity turned all the way down and the switches set a certain way really fattens up my tone nicely. I could probably get the same effect from an EQ, but I'm far too lazy for that.

now thats an interesting one. if you get a chance, tell us more about your settings. i have an af-9 too, and id like to try it. thanks

Archived