Need A Good Effects Unit To Use With A Mesa F-50

Axe Hacker

• Members

I currently have a Mesa/Boogie F-50 with a 2 X12 rectifier cabinet and I am looking for a floor box that does most everything (flanger, delay, chorus, etc) that can replace all of my single pedals. I was leaning towards the Boss ME-50, but read some reviews and am not sure and thought someone out there might have the answer to use with the amp that I have. My axes are a PRS Custom 24 and an Ibanez SA160. Any ideas would be appreciated.

• Members

Axe,

You've got a very nice rig right now. If there was a single pedal that covered all of the bases and souded as good as single pedals we would all own it and this forum would not be here. I am trying to save you a trip down a road many have tried, but eventually you will come back to single pedals. Sorry if that is not what you wanted to hear, but IMHO that is how it is. You already have one of the best cleans out there and you also have gain pretty well covered also. I wouls maybe look at enhancing your dirt with a COT 50 and maybe a delay to start.

• Members

I've tried a ME-50 and it's not very impressive, certainly not up to the level of the rest of your gear.

Multi-effects aren't all that popular here (as you might have guessed), but I know that a couple of pros use a Boss GT-8 with good results. The Vox Tonelab SE is pretty highly though of too.

Both options are more $ than the ME-50 but you get what you pay for.

• Members

Originally posted by paydirt

If there was a single pedal that covered all of the bases and souded as good as single pedals we would all own it and this forum would not be here.

:D

If such a device existed, everyone here would hate it because it would make all GAS embarrassing. Think about it - you could have just this one perfect unit. And then there'd be no point buying anything else. This forum is far more about shopping and agonising than it is about music.

• Members

I'd recommend a Boss GT-8 for just the effects. Chorus, phase, delay, etc. on it are excellent. I've used the GT-8(with the preamp and distortion modelling turned off) along with a couple of really good overdrive pedals and a tube amp and it works fantastic that way. If you want to use your amp's overdrive, look into the four-cable method so you can patch your OD from your amp before the delays/chorus/reverbs in the GT-8.

I've side by side compared many of the GT-8's effects with dedicated stomp boxes and they compare favorably.

You can indeed work a GT-8 into a tube amp/boutique overdrive rig.

:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

:D

If such a device existed, everyone here would hate it because it would make all GAS embarrassing. Think about it - you could have just this one perfect unit. And then there'd be no point buying anything else. This forum is far more about shopping and agonising than it is about music.

Dot,

I kind of think of multi pedals like those combo printer/fax/copy machines you see for $200. They do each function O.K., but no single function really well. Most small businesses start off with one, and they soon upgrade each function to a dedicated machine. Well the multi effects pedals do an O.K. job at each effect, some maybe even do a really good job at a single effect, but in your quest for tone you will eventually upgrade.

• Members

Originally posted by stompboxx

I've tried a ME-50 and it's not very impressive, certainly not up to the level of the rest of your gear.

Multi-effects aren't all that popular here (as you might have guessed), but I know that a couple of pros use a Boss GT-8 with good results. The Vox Tonelab SE is pretty highly though of too.

Both options are more $ than the ME-50 but you get what you pay for.

I agree, I wasn't very satisfied with the me-50, I really wanted to like it.....

• Members

Originally posted by Axe Hacker

I currently have a Mesa/Boogie F-50 with a 2 X12 rectifier cabinet and I am looking for a floor box that does most everything (flanger, delay, chorus, etc) that can replace all of my single pedals. I was leaning towards the Boss ME-50, but read some reviews and am not sure and thought someone out there might have the answer to use with the amp that I have. My axes are a PRS Custom 24 and an Ibanez SA160. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Axe Hacker, welcome to the forum and the F-series Brotherhood! Have you seen the F-series Lounge thread yet: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=885856&perpage=100&pagenumber=1?

I

• Members

Originally posted by hal9000

Axe Hacker, welcome to the forum and the F-series Brotherhood! Have you seen the F-series Lounge thread yet:
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=885856&perpage=100&pagenumber=1
?

Axe,

A BIG +1 on the F series lounge. Great guys with a wealth of information. It's funny, but whenever someone takes a swipe at the Amp forum, I have to say to myself they obviously haven't met these guys. Hal9000 and Dan's the Mann and the others are very helpful with any questions you have regarding your F-series amp. Keep up the good work Hal. :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by paydirt

Axe,

A BIG +1 on the F series lounge. Great guys with a wealth of information. It's funny, but whenever someone takes a swipe at the Amp forum, I have to say to myself they obviously haven't met these guys. Hal9000 and Dan's the Mann and the others are very helpful with any questions you have regarding your F-series amp. Keep up the good work Hal.
:thu:

Thanks paydirt! I like to think that I do my part to add back to the community and I know that Dann'sTheMan certainly does. :)

• Members

I absolutely agree with you hal9000. :) paydirt, thank you for the kind mention - the F-series Lounge has undoubtedly become one of the best resources anywhere for owners of Mesa's stealth amp, thanks to all the great people that participate. I have no doubt that hal9000 is as thrilled as I am to play an active part. :thu:

Axe Hacker, the recent TC Electronic G-System is arguably the best floor based MultiFX system ever, even allowing your favourite stomp boxes (e.g. overdrives) to be incorporated into the patches, whilst leaving the effects that digital processors often excel at (delays, reverbs, choruses and other modulation FX etc) to the G-System. It's not a cheap solution, but I'd certainly recommend an audition.

Another route was touched upon by hal9000. You may notice the similarities in our rigs:

hal9000Andy_sRigFinalSmallRevC.png

Our rigs are switched by the MIDI controller, allowing a stomp on a single pedal to simultaneously select the desired amp channel (Rhythm, Lead & Contour), and the preset for the desired FX chain. We also get luxuries like Tap Tempo, Solo boost and Tuner Mutes - luxuries I can no longer do without. Most importantly, it sounds fantastic imho - especially with FX like Delay, Reverb and Chorus. :D

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. And do come and check out the F-series Lounge (link in sig) when you get an opportunity. The "brotherhood" really are some great people. :cool:

Big smiles,

Andy.

• Members

Ditto on the G-major/FCB1010 combo. I use it with a Mesa single rectifier 1-12 combo amp.

Yes, individual stompboxes arguably sound better. I went that route. Sounds great, when the boss chorus, boss pitch shifter (whammy mode), boss eq (for boost), boss delay, ibanez flanger, boss phase shifter, and all the patch cables and ac cables. And I suck at troubleshooting. And I suck at keeping velcro attached, even with gorilla glue. I still have the pedalboard from Hell.

But the simpler wiring/mounting/powering of the G-major setup is working better for me at the moment.

Good luck,

Jerry

• Members

Hi Axe Hacker, I also have a F50 and I'm visitor of the F-50 Lounge where I've learned a lot from guys like Hal9000 (always pacient with guys like me. Iknow very little of equipment) and Dann's the man.

I'm in the same quest than you Axe, looking for a good multi-effects processor just for modulation. I agree that the G-system is THE solution, but also very epensive, so, thanks to Hal9000 and Dann's the man, I figured this:

- A midi controller like the Behringer FCB1010, to control patches and switch the channels of your amp.

- A multi-effects that could be the G-Major or in my case the PODXt. This is because in my country the G-Major is almost 3 times more expensive than in the US, and also because I think that the POD could be useable in a little home-studio that I'm buliding up.

- A midi switcher like the GRX4 from axxess-electronics to control loops. You could add your stompboxes or use two loops to use the POD as a preamp and the F as power in the case that you think you need it. Hal has a very cool diagram of how it works.

Other option would be to buy a GT8 o used GT3. With this you could have modulation effects and you could use it as a midi controller, altough with a very limited (but useable) capability.

cheers.

• 2 months later...

Archived