dammit people, We MUST someday make solid state devices sound like tubes!

Ray18

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Brewski

THD - Total Harmonic Distortion.

SS transistors have not been designed to let the THD of all the harmonics through when amplified - which means you seem to lose headroom or "feel"

I'd say stomp boxes cause the same effect when put in the effects loop (I've noticed headroom loss when connecting effect through the effects loops but the POWER section still helps.

I think that pre-amp distorted sounds for metal can be even better than 12XA7's distortion, but it's nothtere yet and when yo send the SS pre-amp to the power tubes - it still has bumble bee tone.

?

I nominate this for most incoherent post of the year award.

C

• Members

Originally posted by Ray18

SS "dirt" pedals are tired and frankly many aren't that unique at all
:bor:

What exactly are you looking for?

I would consider the Big D, Fireball II, ZIM, etc. to be unique.

And there are a myriad of pedals that while not unique sound great.

You may not get great sounds by using them through your SS amp, though. You need to find a pedal that's a good match for your guitar(s) and amp(s).

What gear did you use to try the Eternity?

• Members

Originally posted by Eddie

What exactly are you looking for?

I would consider the Big D, Fireball II, ZIM, etc. to be unique.

And there are a myriad of pedals that while not unique sound great.

You may not get great sounds by using them through your SS amp, though. You need to find a pedal that's a good match for your guitar(s) and amp(s).

What gear did you use to try the Eternity?

well SS dist boxes don't really differ from eachother that much. The filtering maybe differnet, different opamps, eq options etc, but you're still just clipping an umremarkable transistor amped signal to ground :confused:

There's no real reason to get excited about tubescreamers, none of them really offer anything new.

the subdecay boxes are my personal favs, no bull{censored} and good prices. The fireball I tryed go OWNED by my timmy, and the ZIM didn't really floor me. Remarkable build tho

• Members

I don't know about the first version of the Fireball, but the second one was amazing.

I also don't know much about the individual components of the pedals, but in terms of sound I do hear many differences. For example, the BJFE Baby Blue is a great sounding pedal. I have not tried other BJFE pedals, but they get a lot of positive comments. I just checked one of my boards and I still have a Rumble Mod, Stampede SOV, and EBS MultiDrive. If you don't like Tube Screamers there are plenty of alternatives out there.

Now I really want to get some work done so that I'll have time to play during the weekend :)

• Members

Originally posted by Eddie

I don't know about the first version of the Fireball, but the second one was amazing.

I also don't know much about the individual components of the pedals, but in terms of sound I do hear many differences. For example, the BJFE Baby Blue is a great sounding pedal. I have not tried other BJFE pedals, but they get a lot of positive comments. I just checked one of my boards and I still have a Rumble Mod, Stampede SOV, and EBS MultiDrive. If you don't like Tube Screamers there are plenty of alternatives out there.

Now I really want to get some work done so that I'll have time to play during the weekend
:)

my point was is that many of these pedals are basically tubescreamers with a few modded values...you can tack on little extras or tweaks to the basic opamp/diode dist unit, but it's still just that no matter what

• Members

Why is it bad?

I'm not against tubes, but I've played gear with tubes and it sounded harsh and with awful dynamics.

Again, I don't know about the components of the pedals. I do know about the sounds. There are some tube pedals I've enjoyed, and many that I would never replace since I did not like their sounds. In some cases I tried a variety of tubes, and still some units sounded pretty bad.

I still use my trusty Siegmund Double Drive and was pleasantly surprised by the Damage Control Womanizer, but I cannot say that tubes are better than SS. It's good marketing, though.

• Members

Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

This is exactly how pedals should be chosen.

Unless they have those small light bulbs glowing inside of them. :)

I think there was even a thread months ago about some tube devices where the tube was nothing but an adornment. :eek:

• Members

Why not play a tube OD pedal into your solid state amp or use a solid state OD pedal in the clean channel of your tube amp and switch between the solid state OD and the amp's tube OD sound. Then we don't need a solid state pedal to sound like a tube amp's OD sound.

• Members

Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

I'm pretty sure I remember one of the Behringer tube preamps (the mic ones maybe?) has 3 tiny LEDs behind the tube to make it glow!

I starve my plates to make them work harder :mad:

"please sir, more voltage"

• Members

If you play blues/classic rock you definitely need a tube amp, there's no way around it.

-They will never make perfect tube amp emulation for the same reasons they will never make a keyboard sound like an electric guitar- a least not in our lifetime. The sound is too organic.

If you need crystal clean, then you're fine with SS.

If you play high gain lead guitar, you're using an OD pedal anyway, so with the right choices you can get a great sound.

Speakers help too.

• Members

Originally posted by StompboxMan

In a Metasonix TX-2 Tube Distortion there is user control over screen voltage of the tubes which changes electron flow.

www.metasonix.com

With the Siegmund Double Drive and Hot Chili Tubester you can also regulate the voltage.

There's another pedal that sells for around $650. I can't recall the name, but I think you can also vary the voltage.

By the way, you can also do this with Guitar Rig 2 :)

• Members

Originally posted by tnttnttnt

-They will never make perfect tube amp emulation for the same reasons they will never make a keyboard sound like an electric guitar- a least not in our lifetime. The sound is too organic.

hahahahahahahaha

nice logic

Archived