dammit people, We MUST someday make solid state devices sound like tubes!

Ray18

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not saying they're perfect emulators, but....the BD-2 and the Katana have many characteristics that scream tube sound! Give 'em a try! People write back saying that it's so. There are technical reasons as well as to why they do a good job at simulating the tube sound of certain amps and simulating the response of a a tube circuit.

I bet the Box of Rocks does it too! Don't underestimate the power of a creative guy whose name starts with Z.

:D

Robert

• Members

Fuzz sounds better through solid state amps, to me. Maybe I'm insane.

Tube definitely wins in the overdrive department, though.

I guess it's all relevant to what you want. I'd definitely appreciate a qualit SS amp.

For now I'm happy I have a decent tube amp that's giggable, though. At the end of the day it's probably all that any of us NEED. But we're excessive, indeed. :cry:

• Members

Originally posted by Ray18

Yeah, but the dynamics aren't there

no touch sensitivity or being able to clean up with the volume knob
:mad:

Dunno. My VG-88 did all that. I imagine the current stuff can too.

And that doesn't get around the fact that modellers do sound quite a bit like the amps they emulate.

• Members

Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

Dunno. My VG-88 did all that. I imagine the current stuff can too.

And that doesn't get around the fact that modellers do sound quite a bit like the amps they emulate.

Do you like the sounds of the VG-88 though?

My singer has one and it sounds very 'digital', and nothing like a tube amp (to us at least). IMHO I think there's a lot of solid state amps that sound better as well. Compared against his DSL, or my VC50 and Super Reverb, it's no contest. Another guy I know has a Vetta that sounds a lot better than the VG-88, but it's still missing something. In a band situation, at stage-level volumes, the tube amps still seem to come out on top. The Vetta owner is the first to admit this too, but he prefers the huge amount of options over the tone difference.

Myself I see no problem with either...whatever works for ya. I think I have an opposite preference than most though in the way that I would prefer to use a HIGH quality modeler on a recording before I would use it live (though I'd much rather use a good tube amp). I much prefer a tube amp's response and punch live. On recordings you can rarely tell the difference (disclaimer: if it is recorded well with good production).

• Moderators

Originally posted by Eddie

Too bad they're so expensive
:(

Yeah, they aren't cheap, but the circuit is ridiculously complex compared to the average tube amp. Eric Pritchard spent years designing them, and they're so elaborate they take a ton of work to build. They're priced fairly for a wonderful sounding boutique amp with so many unique features, imo.

• Members

Originally posted by Banded-Morwong

WHy should we bother?

We still make tubes. lets keep on making amps to put them in

mmmhmm

last I checked SS amps don't run at 450V and weight 80pounds

before you pose the question, ask yourself, how ignorant AM I of the subject ?:p

• Members

Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

Yup - sounded fine to me. Less noisy than most tube amps too - needs to go through something appropriate though, like a PA.

That has been my experience with modelers in general... they either sound good through a PA, or through an effects loop/tube power amp, but not both.

the original pod, albiet a bit compressed (which i think they did on purpose to deal with the 16 bit depth) sounded pretty good through studio monitors, or a PA... at least good enough to record a simple demo... Hell i even used it to record a band that paid me money once. It sounded dead through an amp though.

I have a boss GX700, and it sounds terrible through a pa or monitors, but it was actually pretty convincing at gigs through my fx loop.

• Members

Originally posted by Cackalacky

I'm totally guilty of this, but it's funny how the majority of us wax poetic about tubes, and yet run multitudes of solid state pedals in front of them.

I don't SS od.dist pedal suck

I only use them to save my tubes

• Members

Originally posted by Ray18

we can put a man on the moon but we can't make a perfect vacuum tube emulator
:(

what specifically do you want as a perfect vamcuum tube emulator?

a pedal?

an amp?

a rack?

software? a VST plug in?

specify

Archived