dammit people, We MUST someday make solid state devices sound like tubes!

Ray18

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Ray18

we can put a man on the moon but we can't make a perfect vacuum tube emulator
:(

Define perfect.

Some tube devices sound pretty bad.

Some emulations (both digital and analog) sound pretty good. Tech 21 and the H&K zenTera for example.

• Members

Originally posted by ejk

It'll happen relatively soon, compare the first Line 6 amps with the stuff that they have out now. They'll eventually get there.

The big problem line six has is the power amp sections just dont have the headroom.

There are solid state devices that have similar properties as tubes.

I read an something a while back about a guy that was at NAMM that had drop in replacements for EL84 tubes that were jfet based.

The biggest problem with using something like jfets, is that you still have to run the amp at the same voltages to get the same results, which means you still have to have a two heavy transformers, but at least you dont have the jfets drawing heater current constanty, but it still doesnt have the same cost cutting benefits that bipolar power amps have.

I havent really done that much experimenting with jfets at high voltage, and i have only built two tube amps, but just looking at the differences between solid state and tube amps work is that solid state (bipolar based anyways) drives the load (speaker) directy, whereas tube amps generate a high voltage low current through a transformer and is converted to high current low(er) voltage before driving the load. When you get close to clipping SS is like pulling on a chain, whereas tubes are like a rubberband.

• Members

Originally posted by ejk

It'll happen relatively soon, compare the first Line 6 amps with the stuff that they have out now. They'll eventually get there.

Line6 made one of the first modeling things I heard; Amp Farm. I loved the idea.

Having said that, I don't think I would buy any Line6 unit if I wanted great tube emulation. At least based on what I have heard (POD and some of their amps). The last time I tried their stuff was maybe 2 or 3 years ago. Perhaps they have improved.

On the other hand some friends who make a living playing guitar, regularly gig with Line6 stuff. Even they've told me it's not the "best" in terms of sound, but it's pretty versatile and convenient.

• Members

In answer to the original post, why?

I mean, modelling kit does sound like the amps it models - perhaps nto exactly like, but enough that most guitarists would be able to say "ah, that's meant to be an AC30", or "sounds like a Plexi" even if they wouldn't say "Wow - you managed to stick a Twin into a Line6 cab!".

But why bother? Each has advantages and disadvantages, so why not use each to its best capabilities?

• Members

Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

I mean, modelling kit does sound
the amps it models - perhaps nto exactly like, but enough that most guitarists would be able to say "ah, that's meant to be an AC30", or "sounds like a Plexi" even if they wouldn't say "Wow - you managed to stick a Twin into a Line6 cab!".

But why bother? Each has advantages and disadvantages, so why not use each to its best capabilities?

yeah, its just too bad they cant make tubes and transformers as cheap as they can make proprietary DSP chips.

You will know when the real thing is here when they stop releasing new ones every 2 years, and used prices stablize.

• Members

Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

I mean, modelling kit does sound
the amps it models - perhaps nto exactly like, but enough that most guitarists would be able to say "ah, that's meant to be an AC30", or "sounds like a Plexi" even if they wouldn't say "Wow - you managed to stick a Twin into a Line6 cab!".

Yeah, but the dynamics aren't there

no touch sensitivity or being able to clean up with the volume knob :mad:

• Members

Originally posted by Ray18

Yeah, but the dynamics aren't there

no touch sensitivity or being able to clean up with the volume knob
:mad:

Dynamics and response are things I haven't liked in modelers. Guitar Rig 2 and the zenTera are pretty good in that regard. Even response to the guitar's volume is good.

• Members

Originally posted by newstrat60

Question for Zach: will the non-vexter (painted) version be loaded with your great and sooo soft "NKK" switches ?

nope. the majority of my pedals will use the blue 3pdt switch because it allows led switching without extra parts, and because it's probably the most reliable stomp switch in the history of the business. sorry... not everyone uses their hands to switch pedals. 8^)

Archived