Bad Monkey -- terrible squealing feedback

• Members

I know this is probably a retarded beginner question but - how do I stop that screaming feedback noise I get when I plug a Bad Monkey (with the gain on max) into an already-distorted amp? I was going to use the pedal at our show last night at the Sweetwater but couldn't because of that.

• Members

No problemo man.

Here's a crazy set up I tried the other day. Took an ES-335 (with p-90s) on the "woman-tone" setting, plugged into the Monkey with gain on max, treble on zero, bass on max, then plugged that into a Rangemaster pedal on max, then into a Twin. The sound was so godlike I almost {censored} my pants.

• Members

Mainly I just wanted to get a big boost for solos. I've never liked using the guitar's volume knob because it seems to take the 'edge' off the tone when it's not at max. I just gotta get the hang of it though I guess. Only played live 3 times.

Pedals are new to me. I like the Monkey a lot. I also got an Ibanez FZ7 that sounds like {censored}, so I'm definitely still looking for a good vintage fuzz. Any suggestions?

• Members

Suggestions would depend on what kind of stuff you play, and how much you feel like laying out but in general...

Distortion
- tighter than fuzz, more "modern" sounding
- less sensitive to pick attack/guitar volume.

Fuzz:
- looser, maybe nastier, more touch-sensitive, more chaos potential

Fuzz breaks into two major families: Fuzz Face fuzz and Big Muff fuzz. 'Face is more of a vintage vibe - Hendrix, Stooges. Muff is less versatile but plenty cool - Pumpkins, Gilmour leads.

If you're looking for a big boost for solos, the good ol' RAT is a great, versatile, relatively inexpensive and rock-solid choice. More on the distortion side, but kinda muffy too. You may or may not end up liking it, but like the TS-9 your Minkey's based on it's a really good reference point so knowing its sound will help you define what you are or are not looking for down the line.

If you're curious about the Muff, the current Little Big Muff has a smaller footprint and sounds like a winner.

For 'Face on the cheap, there's the Monsterpiece sold by duderanimous here on the boards. Can't vouch for it personally, but the general consensus seems to be it's a damn good fuzz.

• Members

Thanks for all that info. I'll check out the Monster. I like that '60s sound (like Cream and Hendrix).

I'll probably try the Little Muff too. The word "modern" turns me off but Gilmour is becoming my favorite guitarist..

I'm going to put the Ibanez FZ-7 up for sale on Craigslist! Maybe someone out there will dig it.

• Members

Originally posted by dan_nazarian

Thanks for all that info. I'll check out the Monster. I like that '60s sound (like Cream and Hendrix).

I'll probably try the Little Muff too. The word "modern" turns me off but Gilmour is becoming my favorite guitarist..

I'm going to put the Ibanez FZ-7 up for sale on Craigslist! Maybe someone out there will dig it.

While you're experimenting, definitely do some searches on this board - hidden away in all the making-merry there's a lot of really useful info/opinion/description/debate etc.

• Members

the monsterpiece is great, it my favorite pedal on my board, it can get pretty nasty, but is no muff. how ever it is very versatyle. it can do a grat clean boost and i meant clean . Richard put a lot of boost in this pedal so even with the fuxx set with high bias an the fuzz knob rolled back it plenty loud as a boost and you can always ad a lil dirt or a lot of fuzz, it can do a nice od, distortion and all out fuzz, plus its not as scooped sounding as most fuzzes. definetely worth checking out im glad i did. it also likes to be boosted by a TS type pedal for a tighter sound, the bad monkey might work good with this one.

also keep in mind that the BM is sorta modeled after the ibanez tube screamer, and where these pedals excell at is a "clean" boosts basically tunr the level up and the gain down. tweak the bass an treble to taste.

• Members

Originally posted by dan_nazarian

I know this is probably a retarded beginner question but - how do I stop that screaming feedback noise I get when I plug a Bad Monkey (with the gain on max) into an already-distorted amp? I was going to use the pedal at our show last night at the Sweetwater but couldn't because of that.

Start playing, then stomp it on. Don't stop playing until you stomp it off. If that's no good, you're getting more than you bargained for. It has knobs to control that.

• Members

as some others said, less to no gain, if you want only to boost an already distorted amp.
the bad monkey is a great boost and the two tone controls let you control the voice of your boost.

if you the gain knob is full an already distorted amp will begin the squeal and feedback, it can be nice if you can do it in a controllable way, if its squeals uncrontrolled its mostly annoying. a clean boost instead brings you what you want for your leads, more volume to cut over the others a bit that everybody can hear your genius solo work :D

...and you can always try some fuzz for additional sounds, i have a big muff, a fuzzface clone a tonebender clone and a fuzzfactory and i like none of them into a distorted amp, i use them all before a clean amp and let the pedal make the distortion.

this could also be a reason why you don't like the fz-7, i never tried one, but a fuzz in a distorted amp (sure its depending on which amp and how much distortion) becomes most of the time muddy and not the kind of sound you might want to achieve...

Archived