Ok help me choose ...

• Members

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

Yeah, I've had closet gas for an SG for years ... I'll buy one for sure. It will kind of take the place of my TYM also. I am kind of wanting something a bit different from my Ovations and I may be wanting to retire my Ovations due to sentimental value also - the SG I can replace any time.

Are you going to import one?

They'd be pretty damn pricey here wouldn't they?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by 4Kenoath

Are you going to import one?

They'd be pretty damn pricey here wouldn't they?

Well Importing is an option but I haven't totally looked at an import yet due to the fact that I don't want to buy something sight unseen --- though in the case of the TYM I did that and it was all good -- I may check Ishi's policy on all that but in the US I wouldn't really know who to buy from as I've never bought anything that big from that end of the world. Any suggestions?

Actually re the SG Standard I have been offered a price of around 2k within OZ --- they retail at 3K usually which ain't bad. My TYM was about $1700 AUD so not that far off.

• Members

Well Importing is an option but I haven't totally looked at an import yet due to the fact that I don't want to buy something sight unseen --- though in the case of the TYM I did that and it was all good -- I may check Ishi's policy on all that but in the US I wouldn't really know who to buy from as I've never bought anything that big from that end of the world. Any suggestions?

Actually re the SG Standard I have been offered a price of around 2k within OZ --- they retail at 3K usually which ain't bad. My TYM was about $1700 AUD so not that far off.

Yeah, it may not be worth the hassle if you can nab a good price. Years ago a breifly looked at a sweet deep maroon red one which was $2000 retail...almost 15 years ago.

As far as importing, I've heard from Gibson fans in the know, that some shops are better to buy from as they get better quality stock (don't know if this is myth or not) but you could scour the Gibson forums for this kind of info. You could also organise someone in the US to try one out for you...if you trust anyone's judgement that much, then get them to help ship it.

• Members

Yeah, it may not be worth the hassle if you can nab a good price. Years ago a breifly looked at a sweet deep maroon red one which was $2000 retail...almost 15 years ago.

As far as importing, I've heard from Gibson fans in the know, that some shops are better to buy from as they get better quality stock (don't know if this is myth or not) but you could scour the Gibson forums for this kind of info. You could also organise someone in the US to try one out for you...if you trust anyone's judgement that much, then get them to help ship it.

I just checked with Ishi ... ok so the basic price before shipping and import duty is $1672 AUD on the SG Std in Nat Burst ... I wonder if with shipping and import duty ( 10%?? ) if I could get it under 2K?

EDIT - Just checked and the Cherry is cheaper than the Nat burst! :confused: - and the black/ebony is the cheapest of all! Ok the Cherry would be $1542 AUD ... I'd be better off going with the Cherry then eh?

• Members

I just checked with Ishi ... ok so the basic price before shipping and import duty is $1672 AUD on the SG Std in Nat Burst ... I wonder if with shipping and import duty ( 10%?? ) if I could get it under 2K?

EDIT - Just checked and the Cherry is cheaper than the Nat burst!
:confused:
- and the black/ebony is the cheapest of all! Ok the Cherry would be $1542 AUD ... I'd be better off going with the Cherry then eh?

I dunno...

...you gonna be wearing that thing around your neck for years to come. Just get the one that speaks to you, and pay whatever.

Doesn't sound like you'd be saving a lot to get one from Ishi...and I think you'd need to add another 5% duty on top of GST as well.:freak:

• Members

I dunno...

...you gonna be wearing that thing around your neck for years to come. Just get the one that speaks to you, and pay whatever.

Doesn't sound like you'd be saving a lot to get one from Ishi...and I think you'd need to add another 5% duty on top of GST as well.
:freak:

The Cherry doesn't bother me at all - I like it fine - just if they were all priced the same then I'd get the Nat Burst - but it's like $100 AUD cheaper for the Cherry so WTF! I'll do some sums and see but I still think 2k locally is pretty effin good ... if it worked out only marginally cheaper through Ishi then it wouldn't probably be worth it once you pay duty etc and GST ... I'll have a look at it though.

• Members

I really like that deep red/maroony one I saw but obviously that's not on offer any more. What Gibson crap making you pay more for bursting.
:mad:

Hey, you haven't caused any trouble in my WC thread???
:confused::wave:

Yeah I'm getting around to the WC threads but my head space has been elsewhere today ... didn't even post in the England vs Ecuador thread yet and I watched the game this morning - I'll get over there but have read your comments though.

Archived