Screw Driver Vs. OCD

• Members

I had the OCD and liked it except for the lack of mids but am thinking of giving it a second chance down the road. I keep hearing good things about the Screwdriver and well Marcs cutomer service alone makes me want to buy another pedal from him. Can anyone compare the two?

• Members
Originally posted by murch33

I can't comment on the OCD, but I wouldn't hesitate for an instant with Skreddy. I'm thinking about a Top Fuel right now to replace my old Zero.

If you are looking to replace your zero I wouldnt recommend a Top Fuel. Da Moaf on the other hand.....:love:

(not sayin the top fuel is a bad pedal I love the top fuel but it is a LOT different than the zero) Between DA MOAF and your Mayo you should be able to get any HEAVY muff tone out there. :D

• Members

I agree. The Top Fuel is much less aggressive than the Zero. Also, the tone control is much less versitile. The Top Fuel has a lot of gain and a relatively flat frequency response compared to the usual Big Muff sound.

I am also interested in the OCD vs. Screw Driver comparison. I have a Screw Driver and it's amazing.

• Members

The stock Top Fuel has a mid hump, and it's designed to never remove the articulate upper mids even when you dial back the tone knob all the way. If you're interested in darkening the tone a bit more and a more even eq, I'd gladly mod your Top Fuel for flat mids. :)

Originally posted by KRAA!!

I agree. The Top Fuel is much less aggressive than the Zero. Also, the tone control is much less versitile. The Top Fuel has a lot of gain and a relatively flat frequency response compared to the usual Big Muff sound.

I am also interested in the OCD vs. Screw Driver comparison. I have a Screw Driver and it's amazing.

• Members

Originally posted by erksin

I didn't think the SD and OCD were very similar at all. The OCD had more bass, less mids and was tighter in it's response - sounded more modern to me...

So the SD is more lose and vintage with more mids? I thougt of the OCD as being almost Mesa like.

• Members

I didn't think the SD and OCD were very similar at all. The OCD had more bass, less mids and was tighter in it's response - sounded more modern to me...

I'm fixing the SD Rewog has (or perhaps replacing the whole circuit if need be) to address the brightness problem you and he both experienced. If you like, I can put you on the tour when I send out a proper Screw Driver (and maybe a Top Fuel and a Mayo) for a few people to try out for a week at a time. I apologize for having sent out the one that was apparently too bright. It may turn out to be just one inappropriately bright, modern-type output capacitor that I've since ceased using.

• Members

Originally posted by PurpleStrat

So the SD is more lose and vintage with more mids? I thougt of the OCD as being almost Mesa like.

Exactly - the first words out of my mouth when I plugged into the OCD was 'Mesa'...

• Members

Originally posted by skr3ddy

I'm fixing the SD Rewog has (or perhaps replacing the whole circuit if need be) to address the brightness problem you and he both experienced. If you like, I can put you on the tour when I send out a proper Screw Driver (and maybe a Top Fuel and a Mayo) for a few people to try out for a week at a time. I apologize for having sent out the one that was apparently too bright. It may turn out to be just one inappropriately bright, modern-type output capacitor that I've since ceased using.

Marc -

I guess I'm glad that it wasn't just MY ears - I hope Greg is happier with the SD once you get done with it.

That would be VERY cool of you, I'd love to give your boxes another try - thanks!

Mike

• Members

Marc -

I guess I'm glad that it wasn't just MY ears - I hope Greg is happier with the SD once you get done with it.

That would be VERY cool of you, I'd love to give your boxes another try - thanks!

Mike

Yeah bro that would be sweet!! I think I am one of the ones that talked you into the screwdriver from your hellbilly and felt bad ever since :( I just couldnt imagine why you didnt like it as good if not better!! Looks like yours was a touch different than everyone else.

• Members
Originally posted by derek_32999

Yeah bro that would be sweet!! I think I am one of the ones that talked you into the screwdriver from your hellbilly and felt bad ever since
:(
I just couldnt imagine why you didnt like it as good if not better!! Looks like yours was a touch different than everyone else.

Actually, it ALL you Derek! ;^p

No harm, no foul - I wound up with my CoT50 by trading with Rewog (Greg). I never heard anything negative about the SD from him, so I just assumed it was me. I hope he digs it once Marc's had a chance to fix it. I'd like to try a 'regular' SD again though!

Also Marc, if you're still checking in here - do any of your fuzzes cop Adrian Belew's tones on the King Crimson 'Discipline' disc? I've always loved his fuzz tones on that album...

• Members

Actually, it ALL you Derek! ;^p

No harm, no foul - I wound up with my CoT50 by trading with Rewog (Greg). I never heard anything negative about the SD from him, so I just assumed it was me. I hope he digs it once Marc's had a chance to fix it. I'd like to try a 'regular' SD again though!

Also Marc, if you're still checking in here - do any of your fuzzes cop Adrian Belew's tones on the King Crimson 'Discipline' disc? I've always loved his fuzz tones on that album...

Is that the one with "Elephant Talk"? That was a baddass song. I don't know about the tone, specifically, you're asking about. They used a lot of different stuff on that album, like guitar synths and stuff. I can do something more Frippy, though. It'll be something in a ram's head-style muff with some attention to the gains of the transistors for maximum sustain, and I'll use a flat-mids tone stack for that really aggressive sound he uses most of the time. It sounds like most of Fripp's muff tones are with the tone knob cranked high, so I think it would be cool to just go ahead and make it flat mids to allow the bite and cut without having to crank the knob all the way clockwise.

Shoot me an email to get on the tour list for the SD and so forth.

• Members

Originally posted by skr3ddy

Is that the one with "Elephant Talk"? That was a baddass song. I don't know about the tone, specifically, you're asking about. They used a lot of different stuff on that album, like guitar synths and stuff. I can do something more Frippy, though. It'll be something in a ram's head-style muff with some attention to the gains of the transistors for maximum sustain, and I'll use a flat-mids tone stack for that really aggressive sound he uses most of the time. It sounds like most of Fripp's muff tones are with the tone knob cranked high, so I think it would be cool to just go ahead and make it flat mids to allow the bite and cut without having to crank the knob all the way clockwise.

Shoot me an email to get on the tour list for the SD and so forth.

Yeah - that's the album. I thought he used some kind of Big Muff back then. Whatever it was, definitely one of the coolest fuzz tones ever IMO - somehow it managed to stay tight yet sounded on the edge of total chaos.

Thanks again, Email sent!

Archived