Anyone use their delays in front of amp? Not thru loop?

conho

• Members

I know people tend to avoid putting a delay pedal in between the amp and guitar. But my new amp has no loop and i want to use delay.

Are there any delays units that don't sound bad in front of the amp, or any tips for pulling this off?

Cheers

• Members

Originally posted by mumford

I don't have a loop. I don't think delays sound bad in front, just different. A lot more like reverb, more organic/grungy to my ears.

I call it warm. You can always get a loop to remove it from the path when not in use. I plan on doing this for my Blues Jr.

• Members

Originally posted by Morning Glory

Yea, but my Blues Jr doesn't have an effects loop.

Yup, I have a BJ also, and if you're worried about noise, any cheap TB looper will take care of it, and you can make a much more complex loop that way than just using an amps fx loop.

• Members

Doesn't matter much at all when your amp is clean.
The dirtier your amp is, the more the loop makes a difference.
When it's in the loop, it's like the entire sound repeats, whereas when it's in front of the amp, if you're playing at the same time as your repeats, it's dirtier than if it was just one sound or the other, if that makes sense.
Anyway, shouldn't make a difference to you.

• Members

Yep, I've tried it both ways and with lots of dirt the delay sounds cleaner in the loop. But with clean to moderate dirt I actually prefer delay in front of the amp and I find that with these tones I like the sound better. Like Headlow mentioned, why deal with extra cables if you don't need to?

• Members

i'm useing all my pedals including two delays phaser and flanger in front of the amp (classic 30), but when i use one of them i'm only useing the clean channel of the c30
the lead channel is only used with out modulation effects because if the effects run in front the sound gets warbly...
...i might consider useing them in the loop but its a more complex setup and you have to bother with yet another two cables and i'm tooo lazy to do so.

on the other hand i have 4 dirt boxey also on the board so if i need dirt and modulation i get all what i want from the board and don't need the lead channel :)

Archived