Roland S760: What should I do with it?

ElectricPuppy

• Members

I have an S760 sampler I bought new many, many moons ago. I had great dellusions of creating my own samples and rocking out. However, two factors prevented this:

1) I was too cheap and stupid to buy the add-on mouse/monitor board, and;

2) Finding suitable raw sampling material is apparently just not my game.

At any rate, I have this thing with maxed-out memory and a CD-ROM drive, but that's it. I was using a ZIP drive, but that died. I don't really have any gotta-keep-it sound libraries for it, so I'm thinking that perhaps I should just dump it. On the other hand, there's still some potential there, even though I'd have to find a new SCSI drive for it and invest in some new libraries.

I guess I'm looking for someone to tell me why I shouldn't sell it. Thoughts? Is it even worth selling?

Guest Anonymous

Ship it this way. I will give it a good home. I believe the rule is if don't use something fo many, many moons set it free.

:thu:

• Members

EP, you'll be devistated at the value of those units on the second-hand market. There's just very little interest in hardware samplers anymore. You can keep it or sell it, but know that you'll recover only pennies on the dollar of what you paid. That isn't to say the S760 isn't a nice machine, because it is -- one of the nicest of its day. That day is long past though. Shame really. Do what your gut tells you to do.

• Members

Yeah, r33k, you're right. I just checked the going rate on the Bay and it seems that $200 is tops, and that's WITH the OP board installed, which I don't have.

Sigh. I won't tell you what I originally paid for this, but I knew when I bough it that it wasn't a sound financial investment. ;)

I'm torn (and hence this thread). I might use that $200 toward some new shiney toy, but I also kinda need some kind of pad machine. I'd wind up investing that much in it to get a new drive and find a decent pad library.

Argh! Decisions, decisions.

• Members

get a scsi cd-rom player and the Roland library on eBay. I still keep my S-760 because the Roland library is just beautiful. I have audio examples of the library here if you want to hear what they sound like:

http://www.synthmania.com/l-cdx-series.htm .

Add a decent effect processor and it rivals many modern synthesizers.

• Members

Thanks a bunch for that link, Paolo! You may have just saved my S760 from Ebay.

Does anyone else have any recommendations for Roland-formatted libraries?

edit: Holy cow, Sweetwater has 'em for cheap: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/category/c850 Ooooh, so close to purchasing... I better make sure the S760 still fires up first, though. :)

• Members

So I plugged in the 760 last night to check for life, and lo, there was life, but: one of the rows on the LCD is out. Son of a bitch! And this is the second LCD I replaced myself years ago.

I think I can lilve with it, but if any more rows die, I'll have to replace it... again. Grr.

edit: If I ignore r33k, he'll go away, if I ignore r33k, he'll go away...

:D :D

Archived