Best Fuzz Face Clone for $150

BigK335

• Members

I want to spend $150 max, preferably less. I'm looking for the Gilmour meddle/DSOTM and hendrix tone. I would also perfer it to have true bypass.

Is it true that the dunlop fuzz faces are not that good? I hear that they are hit and miss, maybe I will buy a few and return all but the best of the bunch. Are the dunlops true bypass. If not is it expensive to have done?

-BigK335-

• Members

You can do waaay better than the dunlop clones.

For Hendrix/Gilmour you can't go wrong with a Fulltone '70 or a Foxrox Hot Silicon in my opinion. Pretty sure both are true bypass, but even if not, they're going to be a bit noisy, being fuzz and all.

Hendrix and Gilmour both used Silicon fuzzfaces at some point in their career, Hendrix in the later parts and Gilmour during the early 70's at least, and the above are two of the best I've heard so thats at least a starting place, and you can get either for 150 I'm pretty sure.

Happy hunting! Certainly a LOT more out there than what I mentioned. Try out as many as you can, and realize that they aren't going to sound great unless you feed them into a slightly dirty signal, so you may need to slap on OD in front of them to get them sounding good depending on what amp you're using.

• Members

Originally posted by tigger_ferret

You could build one your self for alot less than $150 if you wanted. Then you might learn a bit more about them in the process.

Small Bear has the transistors for around $10, and you can pick up the rest of the parts for under $20, if you're not averse to either perf board-ing or etching your own PCB.

General Guitar Gadgets has a lot of info on several versions of the fuzz face, including the classic and some boutique versions -- it's an easy build.

c

• Members
Originally posted by BigK335

I want to spend $150 max, preferably less. I'm looking for the Gilmour meddle/DSOTM and hendrix tone. I would also perfer it to have true bypass.

Is it true that the dunlop fuzz faces are not that good? I hear that they are hit and miss, maybe I will buy a few and return all but the best of the bunch. Are the dunlops true bypass. If not is it expensive to have done?

-BigK335-

Dunlops have true-bypass on them. You have to go thru a lot to find a decent one. So, if your local store has a few, try every single one. Like you, I was in the quest 6-7 years ago.. for the perfect one for my needs. I ended up with 3-5 versions at one point, and rotate between them, depending the way I feel that day.

Check out the first page of the "fuzz lounge". It pretty much covers a few fuzz face clones.

Here are my picks:

MJM London Fuzz (offers 2 different versions)
Bob McBroom's McFuzz
Aramat's Mojo Fuzz
Dave Fox's Hot Silicon
Crucible Fuzz
Analogman Sunface

You can really breakdown your search between the ones I've mentioned. I'll tell you they're all great. You can find them used around here (forum) or Ebay.

Goodluck and happy hunting. :)

Archived